Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Nov 2014 (Friday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem Solved and It's Genuinely Weird

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 07, 2014 11:43 |  #1

For the last 10 days I have been trying everything possible to get my CS6 working properly. The whole story is here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1403858

Well today it's apparently fixed (just one day before I was going to do a full re-install -- WHEW) and the solution was/is ridiculous.

Over the past week my computer developed problems with performance and Explorer (not IE-just Explorer). Then yesterday it corrupted Flash and would not allow updates or re-installs of that.

Finally got my computer ops people involved ion the FLASH problem. After an hour of trying various things with negative results, they tried a hail mary and removed IE 11 and returned me to IE 10. I updated the security in IE 10 and Flash now works as does Explorer.

Just as a desperation move, I tried CS 6 and---- mirabile dictu --- It all works perfectly. CS6 starts quickly, Bridge comes right up and builds criteria quickly, ACR opens for .CR2 files and exports them to CS6 perfectly. All my actions work and the save function is normal.

I get that a browser can mess up Flash but have NO CLUE on this earth why IE 11 should mess up Explorer and less idea why it should have killed CS6. I'm gonna try CS6 later again today and, if it works, it will have been the strangest problem resolution I have ever seen.

Go Figure.

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,898 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 07, 2014 12:04 |  #2

Glad it is resolved (fingers crossed!). The trend in OSes (I am a Mac user) seems to be more toward entertainment and connectivity with devices and less on stability and productivity. The Mac OS, once rock solid and stable especially for graphics and color management, has been disintegrating over the past few iterations, and their support for computing power and stability has waned in favor of flashiness and connectivity. It is disheartening and makes tracking down problems like yours even more difficult. Now that a lot of applications are getting all interconnected, synced and clouded, it's just another level of stupidity that gets interposed between the operator and their work. PhotoshopCC2014 crashes every time I quit it, apparently because of some problem it encounters when trying to automatically sync custom brushes and styles with the cloud (something I could not care less about). It's a mess.

Glad your machine is resuscitated.

kirk

Kirk
---

Bilsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 07, 2014 12:54 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #3

Thanks Kirk. I've never been an apple fan but they were always much more stable than Windows x.x. Sad to hear that about them and now that they have enough market share, they are going to start seeing malware attacks much more regularly. Welcome to my world.

CS6 passed the second test and did so after a restart so (with prayers) I can get back to PP work.

Still amazes me though.

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,810 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 08, 2014 00:12 as a reply to  @ Bilsen's post |  #4

That reminds me, our work computers are still on an older version of IE for stability reasons. I had a problem with something last month and the IT person immediately checked IE and reverted back to an old version.

I think it was also telling that our internal HR software was always only supported in IE until this year. Not the IT person told be to open it in anything but IE.

Nice to have those IT guys/gals and be able to just use work machines for my personal stuff too - although I can't directly ask them why CS6 isn't working on my work machine.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2014 02:41 |  #5

You know a reinstall of CS6 would've taken about 10 minutes right? Strange about the IE thing, some weird dependency I guess. IE is still too hooked into Windows.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

say_cheese
790 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 08, 2014 22:20 |  #6

kirkt wrote in post #17257922 (external link)
Glad it is resolved (fingers crossed!). The trend in OSes (I am a Mac user) seems to be more toward entertainment and connectivity with devices and less on stability and productivity. The Mac OS, once rock solid and stable especially for graphics and color management, has been disintegrating over the past few iterations, and their support for computing power and stability has waned in favor of flashiness and connectivity. It is disheartening and makes tracking down problems like yours even more difficult. Now that a lot of applications are getting all interconnected, synced and clouded, it's just another level of stupidity that gets interposed between the operator and their work. PhotoshopCC2014 crashes every time I quit it, apparently because of some problem it encounters when trying to automatically sync custom brushes and styles with the cloud (something I could not care less about). It's a mess.

Glad your machine is resuscitated.

kirk

As a long time mac user I could not agree more with your comments concerning Apples direction with all their computing products, from operating systems to applications. One of the reasons I switched to a Mac a few years ago was because of their rock solid OS and pro applications and I was OK with paying a premium for that level of performance and reliability. Apple seems to have given that up and is focusing on short lived trendy apps and bling. I am no longer willing to pay the premium.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,613 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 09, 2014 19:29 |  #7

say_cheese wrote in post #17260262 (external link)
As a long time mac user...One of the reasons I switched to a Mac a few years ago...

:rolleyes:

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

sponsored links

1,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem Solved and It's Genuinely Weird
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.