Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 08, 2017 11:30 |  #7051

apersson850 wrote in post #18491758 (external link)
Somewhere in Canon's documentation they specifically point out that the initial acqusition isn't affected by this setting.

I never came across it but I'm it's somewhere.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 08, 2017 12:38 |  #7052

apersson850 wrote in post #18491758 (external link)
Somewhere in Canon's documentation they specifically point out that the initial acqusition isn't affected by this setting.

I forgot to say this is associated with Case 3. Early on I had read on a few forums that people used it because it focuses faster. Yes from one subject to another but not initial AF focus. The 7D2 AF guide shows an image of a hawk entering the scene. AF did not start with the bird entering. In that scene the system would have had the background in focus first. Canon says between two subjects and I guess there only being one bird in that example might have thrown someone off. I decided to test it myself and got the results I expected.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Nov 08, 2017 12:47 |  #7053

Based on some of the discussions I am going to try out Case 4 and maybe bump the parameters. Unless I'm in zone I'm usually in Case 2 for precise tracking. The gulls I normally practice on get a little erratic but they are gone. I don't shoot enough sports but I wish I did. Gonna shoot a friends hockey hockey game but like me those guys out there aren't spring chickens.

Image Editing OK

duckster
300 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2017

Nov 24, 2018 13:33 |  #7054

I realize this is an older thread but I just purchased a 7D Mk II about 2 weeks ago and have been playing around trying to figure out the best settings for me. I had a used 7D that I have been using for a couple of years so this is a upgrade for me.

Taking some photos of the dogs playing fetch in the backyard seemed to give me a bit more keepers with the 7D than with the new Mk II. I am sure that some of it is just me and I know that dogs running around chasing a ball is a fairly challenging subject but it was strange to me that I was having better luck with the 7D than with the Mark II. I was using AI Servo and Case 1. I have not tried some of the other Cases yet. Used the same lens, a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 17 days ago by digital paradise.

Nov 24, 2018 14:00 |  #7055

duckster wrote in post #18757608 (external link)
I realize this is an older thread but I just purchased a 7D Mk II about 2 weeks ago and have been playing around trying to figure out the best settings for me. I had a used 7D that I have been using for a couple of years so this is a upgrade for me.

Taking some photos of the dogs playing fetch in the backyard seemed to give me a bit more keepers with the 7D than with the new Mk II. I am sure that some of it is just me and I know that dogs running around chasing a ball is a fairly challenging subject but it was strange to me that I was having better luck with the 7D than with the Mark II. I was using AI Servo and Case 1. I have not tried some of the other Cases yet. Used the same lens, a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Here is a good video. Case 1 is the meat and potatoes. 2 - 6 are tweaks. Listen to what the presenter says in the first minute about Case 1.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7sgRZBo-WKI (external link)

That being said did you adjust Tracking Sensitivity (TS) using your 7D. I set mine to -2 and shot like that for 5 years. Case 2 lowers TS to -1 but a lot of birders like to set to -2. This makes the AF more stubborn. It won't try to focus on something else if your AF point goes off the target momentarily. If you want to switch quickly between two dogs then use Case 3. It is the opposite of Case 2.

Dogs are stopping starting, accelerating and decelerating. Case 4 is good for this. Accel/Decel goes to +1. Not side to side, away and towards from you. You are responsible to track side to side movement and here is where a lower TS helps as well.

Try Case 2 with TS set to -2 and also Case 4. You can set the TS to -2 for case 4 as well. Even try Accel/Decel at +2.

FYI. If you change a parameter like TS you will notice there is a little mark to show factory settings so you can put them back easily. You can do all these settings using Case 1. Cases 2-6 are just adjustment tables to help switch AI Servo characteristics quickly when out in the field. Case numbers have nothing to do with initial AF acquisition. That is based on contrast just your 7D and all other cameras. Case numbers control tracking characteristics after focus is achieved.

Image Editing OK

duckster
300 posts
Joined May 2017
Post edited 17 days ago by duckster.

Nov 24, 2018 14:15 |  #7056

Thanks for that info and for the link.

Still pretty new to me, I had just started to get the old 7D figured out!

Most of what I shoot is track & field and cross country running, as far as action shooting.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 24, 2018 16:32 |  #7057

duckster wrote in post #18757634 (external link)
Thanks for that info and for the link.

Still pretty new to me, I had just started to get the old 7D figured out!

Most of what I shoot is track & field and cross country running, as far as action shooting.

Yes there is a bit to digest. First off don't too hung up on the Case numbers. You don't need to master them in the first weekend. I also created a summary to help. Don't worry about Zone AF right now. I do use it when the situation is right. Concentrate in single or expansion AF modes for now. I can give you more info on zone later.

Case 1. Base setting that will cover most shooting situations.

Case 2. If AF point/s go off your subject AF will hang on and not refocus instantly on something else to give you time to reacquire your original subject. This includes your subject being obstructed momentarily by something else.

Case 3. The opposite of Case 2. System will immediately refocuses on another subject when AF point/s fall on it. The intent is that you are already focused on something else first. Good for tracking two runners in a race, you shooting both and are switching from one to another

Case 4. System is more sensitive to objects moving to towards and away which includes abrupt stops/starts and increase/decrease in speed from a start point to a finish point.

The next two are really more suited for the zone AF modes. If you are using Single or Expansion AF you will have to be as diligent in tracking your subject as in Cases 1 to 4. I use these two Cases when shooting in zone (small cluster) or full Auto. I don’t use Large zone very often.

Case 5. System is more sensitive to left, right, up and down movement.

Case 6. The Grand Poobah. Combines cases 4 and 5. Front to back and up and down erratic movement.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 24, 2018 16:52 |  #7058

OK that covers the Case numbers. There are only a few other things you can control.

On page 117 you will find A1 Servo 1st and 2nd priority. What these do is let you decide how times to you want the system to re-confirm initial AF.

The Factory setting for 1st priority is Equal. This setting will re-check AF a few times and then let you shoot. Release lets you right away if you are in a hurry. Some of the of the first shots may be out of focus. Focus will re-check AF multiple times until it verifies AF and then lets you shoot. A lot of users like to set it to Focus. Try that and see of it helps.

Next page is 2nd priority. This is for subsequent shots during burst shooting after the first initial shot. Works the same way as 1st priority. I leave that at the factory setting.

Next are the AF modes. Single, Expansion and Zone.

That is it. Those are the key 3 components to AF. Cases, Priority settings and AF modes.

Image Editing OK

duckster
300 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 24, 2018 21:33 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #7059

Thanks for the tips. I have generally used the expansion AF on my old 7D for shooting sports. I have not yet tried the Mark II with any of my other lenses yet. I need to try it with the 18-135 Nano and 70-300 Nano as those were good/quick focusing lenses with my original 7D

duckster
300 posts
Joined May 2017

Nov 24, 2018 21:34 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #7060

Do you adjust within the various cases? On the Canon USA video, they mention it.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 16 days ago by digital paradise.

Nov 24, 2018 22:06 |  #7061

duckster wrote in post #18757805 (external link)
Do you adjust within the various cases? On the Canon USA video, they mention it.

Yes I do. The video just provides the basics. Once you study and understand what the 3 parameter changes do there is not much to it. Canon documents and videos typically never expand beyond the basics.

Image Editing OK

gschlact
1,315 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 24, 2018 22:53 as a reply to  @ duckster's post |  #7062

The cases are just presets for the individual parameters. I nevertheless could re,ember what the Case numbers were, I found it easier to understand the three individual parametrs and adjust them directly.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 24, 2018 23:14 |  #7063

gschlact wrote in post #18757855 (external link)
The cases are just presets for the individual parameters. I nevertheless could re,ember what the Case numbers were, I found it easier to understand the three individual parametrs and adjust them directly.

I agree. Once you get to understand how they work then yes it can be easier to adjust directly. What I do like about the case numbers is I can tweak each one to my shooting situations. I think the key to this discussion is the Case numbers are not unique, just a tool to make said quick adjustments faster.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,301,866 views & 2,727 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.