Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Nov 2014 (Monday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox V860c - my impression

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 17, 2014 20:51 |  #1

Hi all,

My Canon 580EXII flash died a few weeks ago so after weighing up all the options purchased a Godox V860c. Aside from being less than half the cost of a Canon 600EX the big advantage is the lithium battery - I am totally sick of AA's and recharging them and never knowing how much was left!!

The box arrived and inside was the flash unit, battery, charger, soft cover, and the user manual. The battery charged fairly quickly, maybe an hour in total.

Here is the Godox side by side with a Canon 580EXII. Almost exactly same size & weight (incl or excl batteries).

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/godox/Godox-Canon2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/godox/Godox-Canon3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/godox/Godox-Canon.jpg

I was very happy my stofen bounce from the 580EXII fitted nicely on the godox.

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/godox/Godox5-800.jpg

Once charged I did a few test shots - all seemed very normal and HSS was fine. My only concern was the time it took from switching on to being ready to fire - takes about 3 secs which is a long time at a wedding if you suddenly need to fire off a flash :) But once on it recycles just fine....or at least no slower than the 580EXII.

All the buttons are easy to use and it's a big display so easy to read. So good having a battery life indicator - there is a battery symbol with 3 bars so in theory should be able to change battery when it looks low.

The mount is a screw type - it's not as solid as the 580EXII mount but if you screw it firmly tight there's no wobble or anything.

The flash head is a bit stiff compared to the 580EXII and doesnt have a lock button - seems to stay in place just fine all the same.

I shot a wedding with it last weekend and it all went well. So....so far so good but I guess only time will tell if the lower price = poor components which might wear out / fail over time.

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/godox/Godox4-800.jpg

Darryn

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 23, 2015 13:28 |  #2

Just a quick update to this review as I've been using these for a few months now and I'm really happy.

Using them on-camera with the hot shoe has been great and the battery lasts for ages. Compared to using AA's I reckon it's 4-5x the life.

I also really like the off camera controller - very easy to plugin the wireless triggers to each flash, set channels, and adjust from the camera controller.

Well worth buying :)

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Godox V860c - my impression
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.