Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 35L.. is this normal?

EchoShotz
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 23, 2014 16:34 |  #1

So I just picked up my 35L and decided to take some photos of my 1D mark iii, and when I did I got this green and red fringing all over my white details that I have not seen appear on any other 35L pictures I've browsed through. Is this normal? Has a UC date code if that helps.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D Mark III, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, YN560 (2x)
-Kenny

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2014 16:40 |  #2

Yes, chromatic aberrations are typical in high contrast regions for almost all fast prime lenses, and certainly for all EOS fast prime lenses. You will get that kind of fringing with the 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L....

The green and red (near far) are due to LOCA, purple fringe will be found in the plane of focus.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

EchoShotz
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 23, 2014 16:43 |  #3

JeffreyG wrote in post #17289061 (external link)
Yes, chromatic aberrations are typical in high contrast regions for almost all fast prime lenses, and certainly for all EOS fast prime lenses. You will get that kind of fringing with the 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L....

The green and red (near far) are due to LOCA, purple fringe will be found in the plane of focus.

Thanks for the reply. I knew it'd be there but didn't think it would be as obvious as that

-Kenny

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2014 16:51 |  #4

It's funny, if you really try and make CA it is easy to do. But then in the majority of shots it is just no big deal.

When it does show up, it can be corrected. Here is an example where the shot had high contrast and so CA became a problem. I could fix it in Lightroom no problem.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2014 16:51 |  #5

For reference, this was the complete shot with the fringe corrected.

HOSTED PHOTO

EchoShotz
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 23, 2014 17:04 |  #6

JeffreyG wrote in post #17289082 (external link)
It's funny, if you really try and make CA it is easy to do. But then in the majority of shots it is just no big deal.

When it does show up, it can be corrected. Here is an example where the shot had high contrast and so CA became a problem. I could fix it in Lightroom no problem.

Correcting it I suppose is an easy fix, but I do find it difficult to find a medium between getting rid of the CA and losing color in objects such as the your subject's lips in the fixed picture.

-Kenny

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2014 17:07 |  #7

EchoShotz wrote in post #17289107 (external link)
Correcting it I suppose is an easy fix, but I do find it difficult to find a medium between getting rid of the CA and losing color in objects such as the your subject's lips in the fixed picture.

Yeah, that was a quick fix in LR. To do it right you need to mask and do the correction in a layer (which means not in LR).

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 25, 2014 00:55 |  #8

You pretty much shot the perfect condition to bring out CA; high contrast with the subject tilted. Check out this test chart which exhibit green CA distant and purple CA closer to the camera

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/WtY4yVu.jpg

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 25, 2014 01:51 |  #9

It's common, but most DSLRs now (5D3, 1Dx, etc) have chromatic aberrations (fringing) correction in-camera. Also, Lightroom has correction that is fairly automated and can be applied on import. That's probably why you don't see it in photos posted.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 25, 2014 08:27 |  #10

Staszek wrote in post #17291761 (external link)
It's common, but most DSLRs now (5D3, 1Dx, etc) have chromatic aberrations (fringing) correction in-camera.

I was under the impression that the in-camera correction was addressing lateral CA, not longitudinal CA (as in the OP) - does it actually address both?

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

sponsored links

1,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 35L.. is this normal?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.