Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D II vs 1D IV?

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 28, 2014 06:40 |  #31

apersson850 wrote in post #17297163 (external link)
As said a gazillion times before: All else being equal (and it would be, if they were designed today, both of them), then the sensor with more pixels always has an advantage.

Even though they have different size sensors and different size pixels? With your logic that should mean that a 7D2 has an advantage over a 1Dx because it has more pixels. That's how I read that.

sponsored links
ebiggs
640 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 28, 2014 09:04 |  #32

As said a gazillion times before: All else being equal (and it would be, if they were designed today, both of them), then the sensor with more pixels always has an advantage.

You are the person the marketing department is looking for! ;)

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 28, 2014 09:26 |  #33

It may have been said many times but that does not make it true!
Using long lenses in what light is available (frequently poor) I prefer 18mp that gives me clean sharp files than 36MP that simply does not.
So I don't quite understand why you seem to think more is always better?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 28, 2014 18:34 |  #34

johnf3f wrote in post #17297435 (external link)
So I don't quite understand why you seem to think more is always better?

Elementary, my dear Watson!
It's because my 5D3 trumps the 1DX in image quality. :)

(And no, I'm not the person the marketing department is looking for.)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 29, 2014 22:45 |  #35

agedbriar wrote in post #17298354 (external link)
Elementary, my dear Watson!
It's because my 5D3 trumps the 1DX in image quality. :)

(And no, I'm not the person the marketing department is looking for.)

Interesting. I have not done this comparison myself as I don't have access to a 5D3 for long enough to test this properly.
However I do have a friend in North Wales who has. He was a 1D4 user but got the 5D3 for landscapes, general stuff and as a backup. Before long he was using the 5D3 for his wildlife photography, when speed wasn't the primary concern, as he preferred the IQ of the 5D3. A while later he gave my 1DX a try out and promptly bought one! So now his 1D4 was sold and his 5D3 on permanent load to his other half.
Whist I have taken a few frames with the 5D3, and was suitably impressed, I have not had the opportunity to compare them properly, as he has, though he prefers the files from the 1DX.
Obviously you would disagree with my friend Dave's findings which tells me things must be close.
Note I only sought his opinion on IQ not fps, AF speed, ISO and other whiz bang factors.
For me the 1DX is a better camera, but that is because of my specific requirements. Were I a wedding photographer I would get the 5D3 in a heartbeat, if I only did landscapes I would probably have a Sony A7R. Horses for courses?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

philk54
Goldmember
4,584 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 29, 2014 23:26 |  #36

"The 1D4 is headed for the $2K price point on the used market, I have seen many now at $2200. If there was a $200 difference between the two, I would pick up the 1D4."

Not sure where you're seeing these used prices. Two currently for sale on POTN, both with over 100,000 shutter actuations, and they are $2700 and $2800. That's in the neighborhood of $1000 more than 7D2.

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 30, 2014 00:26 |  #37

Got mine for $2300 Aussie, 18k clicks :)

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,184 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2014 00:29 as a reply to  @ kobeson's post |  #38

Congrats!

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2014 15:52 |  #39

Paulstw wrote in post #17297239 (external link)
Even though they have different size sensors and different size pixels? With your logic that should mean that a 7D2 has an advantage over a 1Dx because it has more pixels. That's how I read that.

If they have different sensor sizes then all other things are not equal.

Anders

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,769 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 07, 2014 08:44 |  #40

apersson850 wrote in post #17301555 (external link)
If they have different sensor sizes then all other things are not equal.

Except for older models with more read noise, the larger sensor is always going to give better IQ, if you do use the entire sensor for your final image, and are not cropping. All bets are off if you're cropping in a focal-length-limited situation. Before the 7D2, Canon had no APS-c camera that equalled the 5D3/6D/1Dx group in terms of read noise per unit of sensor area, but now the 7D2 does; about the same as the 6D, slightly better than the 5D3, and slightly worse than the 1Dx, but having possibly less banding noise than all of those.

I am not going to make many friends with the following statement, but those who like having fewer and/or bigger pixels because they give "sharp, crisp results" at 100% pixel view are engaging in self-deception, and are pleased not with real detail, per se, but with the artifacts of undersampling, which draw attention to the pixel structure of the image, rather than creating a virtually analog image. They are happier with their results also because they are magnifying their captures less with the bigger pixels when viewing at 100%.

sponsored links

9,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D II vs 1D IV?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.