Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 18:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reliabilty of DSLRs

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 26, 2014 18:02 |  #1

I read so much on people having problems with their DSLRs, is this just a internet thing or if we had the internet back when we got started in Photography, we would have heard about the F1, AE1, AT1 having all sorts of problems?

My AE1 and AT1 works just as good now as when I bought them in the late 70s...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 26, 2014 18:05 |  #2

Heya,

You're looking at a congregation of people who are either praising or whining, about the equipment.

Naturally you'll see more people in such a place having issues, since they generally come to find out what the issue is, or if it's fixable, etc.

I have 6 SLR's and they're all going strong, some 8 years old, still using them near daily. Same with lenses. Some are 30+ years old and still kicking the way they did the first decade.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,434 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2014 18:14 |  #3

A modern SLR is a far cry from the old AE1s. Today they are stuffed full of very complex electronics as well as mechanical systems.With each system the opportunity for failure increases. I've been lucky so far in that i have never had a failure but I have sent several bodies back to Canon for adjustments and such. But then again, I have never kept my DSLRs for a very long time. Usually 18 months or so and I sold them.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 26, 2014 18:29 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #4

Your old shutter likely maxed out at 1/1000, had a max synch speed of 1/90 or perhaps 1/125. You took images in groups of 24 or 36 so chances are your shutter count remained lower than the modern dslr in the hands of a digiral snap shooter. Just look at how many files taken at a wedding vor a comparison. A film wedding shot on 35mm might have ben 10 rolls of 36. Now there are wedding with 1500 files delivered to the client. A portrait session might top 200 shots digital when 2 rolls of film would likly have covered. So the combination of higher precision components anc a massive change in the way they are used is telling. Plus its the nature of the Internet that users go online to complain rather than to express satisfaction that their camera worked as it should.

Furlan
744 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 26, 2014 18:32 |  #5

The manuals for the cameras you mentioned about ten pages or so. Today a Rebel manual one
hundred fifty pages plus. (ballpark figures) That in its self should answer your question.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,456 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 26, 2014 18:33 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #17295040 (external link)
A modern SLR is a far cry from the old AE1s. Today they are stuffed full of very complex electronics as well as mechanical systems.With each system the opportunity for failure increases. I've been lucky so far in that i have never had a failure but I have sent several bodies back to Canon for adjustments and such. But then again, I have never kept my DSLRs for a very long time. Usually 18 months or so and I sold them.

This is true but the complexity of features also drive up the potential for operator error. Yes, we see equipment failures here, that is the nature of the forum, but we also see a great number of issues simply caused by people not understanding their gear.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 26, 2014 18:57 |  #7

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #17295021 (external link)
I read so much on people having problems with their DSLRs, is this just a internet thing or if we had the internet back when we got started in Photography, we would have heard about the F1, AE1, AT1 having all sorts of problems?

My AE1 and AT1 works just as good now as when I bought them in the late 70s...............

10D, 20D, 40D, 7D, 5DII....never any problems at all with any of them.

Gear List

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2014 19:01 |  #8

I miss my AT-1. That was my first SLR. Loved that camera. Wish I had one now to play around with film again.

Mark J.
Gear

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 26, 2014 19:09 |  #9

T3i (600D), 7D and 7DII. No problems save for the loose nut behind the view screen.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2014 19:11 |  #10

2n10 wrote in post #17295118 (external link)
T3i (600D), 7D and 7DII. No problems save for the loose nut behind the view screen.

Common problem with all cameras. ;)

Mark J.
Gear

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 26, 2014 19:12 |  #11

MalVeauX wrote in post #17295026 (external link)
Heya,

You're looking at a congregation of people who are either praising or whining, about the equipment.

Cutting a single tree make a lot more noise than a forest growing up.

i do agree with MalVeauX, when people have issues, you ear only them, and ... usually they didn't read the manual ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2014 19:31 |  #12

The internet and forums offer a venue in which people can come together and discuss virtually everything. When it comes to issues regarding performance of a piece of equipment, you will always have both sides. It's the best or it's the worst. What I've generally found is that the "it's the best" crowd far exceeds the numbers of the "it's the worst" crowd, although there are times when the "it's the worst crowd" gets the most attention. Perfection does not exist when a product is mass produced. Quality Control is, at best, a crap shoot when you're producing hundreds of thousands of any given item. There is always a +/- ratio which companies feel are acceptable by industry standards, given that when an item is discovered to be faulty, it will most often be replaced rather than repaired. The term "a bad batch" also circulates, suggesting that for whatever reason, lets say 1000 items received faulty components which resulted in a group of owners experiencing the same issue. They try to narrow it down to a certain serial number, place of purchase, date code, etc. in an effort to identify which batch was bad.

I grew up in Detroit, the motor city. It was a common saying that you should never buy a car built on a Friday or a Monday. Friday because the worker is tired after a long week and his attention to detail is focused on the weekend rather than the task at hand, which might mean a door handle will not be tightened to specs or a window will not be seated properly, and Monday because the worker is recovering from all he/she did on the weekend, and again, their focus is not on the task at hand, but rather how they really could have used a few more hours of sleep. I think there is truth to both. Whether it's a camera, a car or a computer, there are going to be issues with a small portion which will be brought to light on the internet since it's access is a click away and it allows the person an arena to make their case.

I suppose my answer to the question is yes, if the internet were around when people were shooting A-1's, AE-1's and F-1's, there would have been complaints about QC issues. To support this, one need only look at the Monday/Friday car scenario. Those cars were being produced long before the internet.

feedback

gear list

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 26, 2014 21:12 |  #13

My impression is that modern DSLRs and other high-end cameras (or just high-ish ones) are pretty reliable. My data points are:

1. I've yet to have a problem with cameras I've owned and used: 300D, 30D, 50D, 5Dc, 7D2; K200D; X Pro-1; M type 240, nor with any interchangeable lenses for those cameras (except my Summilux 75, which I knew needed adjusting and now works fine). My father has not had a problem with his 300D, 40D, 60D or 5D3, nor with any of his lenses. (Aside from ripping off the hot-shoe of his 300D, which was his fault and which Canon repaired swiftly and inexpensively.) I've also never had problems with my G1X nor with a series of Canon P&S cameras (aside from a problem with screws working loose from an IXUS 40, which Canon fixed over the counter for free well outside the warranty).

2. Canon in Sydney has recently closed it's walk-in service desk (a bit of a bummer, really) due to lack of customers (so it's mail-in only now; except in Melbourne). If there were more problems I expect they'd have more customers (Sydney is a big city).

3. A Sydney-based outfit (d-d Photographics) does parallel imports of Canon, Nikon and other gear and offers their own warranty (taking advantage of Australia's Trade Practices Act which says that a manufacturer has to offer repairs of their own equipment on a strictly commercial basis even if it was not acquired through an authorised dealer. Because, under their warranty, d-d Photographics has to pay for the manufacturer to repair equipment, they've told me they couldn't afford to do this if QC wasn't good and the equiment reliable.

My guess is that internet forums etc. tend to magnify problems as the many happy users have little to complain about while those with a dud unit or other problems (quite understandably) are over-represented compared to the vastly more numerous happy users and owners.

...Mike

Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.
Day-to-day photos on flickr (external link), some older stuff at dA (external link).

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 26, 2014 21:36 |  #14

mfunnell wrote in post #17295274 (external link)

1. Canon in Sydney has recently closed it's walk-in service desk (a bit of a bummer, really) due to lack of customers (so it's mail-in only now; except in Melbourne). If there were more problems I expect they'd have more customers (Sydney is a big city).
...Mike

This one make me laugh (in a good way ;) )
I went few times in Canon walk-in-service in the town where i live, i always was the only customer inside, never felt in line nor wait even one minute :lol:
I hope they will stay open for long ... it's so easy, i get in, give my camera (to clean the sensor for example) and 3 minutes later i'm out :lol:

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 26, 2014 21:42 |  #15

Back when we used film, we had a lot less dust on the sensor. ;)

Sony A7 III and some lenses

sponsored links

5,880 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reliabilty of DSLRs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.