Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Nov 2014 (Friday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d mark ii sharp image

don's
180 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 28, 2014 21:15 |  #1

I saw a thread that pointing about 7d mark ii has a focus issue,
But in the other side, in another thread '7d mark ii owners unite' i saw almost all photo's on that thread a looks amazing and sharp.
The question is, where's a bad focusing system ? Where's a focus issue,.? I didn't see any focusing issue on that baby ..

sponsored links
2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,064 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 28, 2014 21:16 |  #2

There seems to be some bad or misaligned focus modules.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

don's
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 28, 2014 21:19 |  #3

2n10 wrote in post #17298595 (external link)
There seems to be some bad or misaligned focus modules.

Do you mean some people had they 7d mark ii with bad focusing, but some other had a good copy ? So what a gamble is this ?

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,064 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 28, 2014 21:35 |  #4

I would say it is no worse than any camera. Many are having troubles with the camera due to the AF learning curve. I know I was one.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,309 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 28, 2014 22:56 |  #5

2n10 wrote in post #17298645 (external link)
I would say it is no worse than any camera. Many are having troubles with the camera due to the AF learning curve. I know I was one.

Agreed. The 7d2 AF is quite different from that in most previous Canon cameras. It takes some time and some active thinking to sort out as well as (probably) some changes in working methods. I suspect that's where most of the complaints originate. Actual defective cameras are probably pretty rare and, I imagine, Canon will be eager to repair of replace them.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 29, 2014 05:10 |  #6

I found the images lacking detail and returned my 7D2 for a refund, and I could have used the camera blindfolded coming from a 5D3 - so I don't think it has to do with any AF learning curve. Stopped down static photos produced lack of detail.

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 29, 2014 07:11 |  #7

Several people had problems with their new 7D. However, once you eliminated those who hadn't read (or understood) the manual; and those who thought that printing their image 5 foot wide and examining it with a magnifying glass was a good way to check IQ; and those who thought that a black cat, at night, in a cave, 50m away, was a suitable test subject; then there weren't many cases left. Some of these sent their cameras off to Canon who never, ever, recognised a common problem. Indeed most just had the AF recalibrated.

Then exactly the same happened with the 70D.

And the 7D MkII.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,990 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2014 08:37 |  #8

hollis_f wrote in post #17299099 (external link)
Several people had problems with their new 7D. However, once you eliminated those who hadn't read (or understood) the manual; and those who thought that printing their image 5 foot wide and examining it with a magnifying glass was a good way to check IQ; and those who thought that a black cat, at night, in a cave, 50m away, was a suitable test subject; then there weren't many cases left. Some of these sent their cameras off to Canon who never, ever, recognised a common problem. Indeed most just had the AF recalibrated.

Then exactly the same happened with the 70D.

And the 7D MkII.

And those who never bothered with MA :)

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

8612images
735 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2014 08:48 |  #9

Well, my issue is Ai Servo. Get one very sharp pic, then several in sequence just a bit off. No I did not MA, never did it on any Canon body prior with no issue.

I tried single shot and naturally that is fine. So, I'll try a few more on Ai Servo, but will move from center pt expansion back to using just single point to see if that helps. I had the 5d3 and am familiar with the cases and settings. With a suggestion from Methodical, I slowed the tracking even more so we'll see how it goes.

Steve

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,862 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 29, 2014 08:54 |  #10

And some people that have reported issues with some 3rd party lenses as compared to Canon lenses they may also own.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,005 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 29, 2014 09:00 |  #11

There are so many 7DII threads with hundreds of responses discussing the points your asking. It would help to read them first.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1397980
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1397935
https://photography-on-the.net …t=1406704&highl​ight=focus

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 29, 2014 09:48 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #12

Clearly hating this new camera can't seem to crop more than 400% or so.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7535/15718401668_e26a2f58b2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pWYV​cj  (external link) F59A1511-Edit.jpg (external link) by Rocky_Rhode (external link), on Flickr

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2014 10:25 |  #13

GyRob wrote in post #17299202 (external link)
And those who never bothered with MA :)

Rob.

MFA was not designed to compensate for sloppy manufacturing. It was designed to tweak your system to get the most out of it. If someone wants to MFA + or - 15 to get it to focus correctly that is a personal choice and their is nothing wrong with that. Personally - although it is a valuable tool I think it makes it easier for the manufacturer to let their guard down.

So no, there are no problems with the camera design itself that a tune up won't fix, be it you doing it yourself or Canon doing it for you. There are a lot of outstanding images being posted but there are some not so crisp ones as well. That could be from many reasons but if you keep it simple (single or expanded AF), choose an appropriate shutter speed for the situation, use good glass and you are steady there is no reason anyone can't get great images right out of the box. This is of course assuming the lens is not way out.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2014 10:30 |  #14

I base that last bit on my 5D3. Within an hour I was nailing shots with very little effort and my keeper rate is about 95% since 2012. The AF system is identical and I understand that you need to be more careful due to the sensor size and how many pixels they packed on the 7D2. I had a 7D for 5 years.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

8612images
735 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2014 11:32 |  #15

digital paradise wrote in post #17299392 (external link)
I base that last bit on my 5D3. Within an hour I was nailing shots with very little effort and my keeper rate is about 95% since 2012. The AF system is identical and I understand that you need to be more careful due to the sensor size and how many pixels they packed on the 7D2. I had a 7D for 5 years.

Totally concur

Steve

sponsored links

17,782 views & 5 likes for this thread
7d mark ii sharp image
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.