Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which 10-stop filter: B+W (color cast issue?) or off-brand (Camdiox)

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 01, 2014 15:17 |  #1

I'm struggling to decide on a 10 stop for my landscape lens (Canon 17-40mm F4 L).

I've bought various filters over the years and I've generally bought B+W filters. So my first instinct is to pick up this one, readily available on Amazon for $94:
http://www.amazon.com …gle-Coating/dp/B003ZDHP7U (external link)

But after reading up on some reviews, it seems this filter has a warm color cast
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …utral-Density-Filter.aspx (external link)
http://www.amateurphot​ographer.co.uk …d-10-stop-nd-filters-9470 (external link)

However, it is noted that the cast can be easily removed through WB settings or in post. Is there anyone there that has this filter and maybe comment on the situation?

Those reviews also mentioned great things about this Chinese brand 10-stop filter (Camdiox), which would ultimately cost me $50:
http://srb-photographic.co.uk …-nd1000-filter-5944-p.asp (external link)

This is a significant savings, and it's better than the B+W: it has no color cast. Here's one more review specifically for this filter:
http://forums.overcloc​kers.co.uk/showthread.​php?t=18602588 (external link)

At present, it seems the Camdiox is a no-brainer, but before I jump, I thought I might try to get some feedback on this issue.

Any thoughts?

sponsored links
Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2014 08:57 |  #2

trale wrote in post #17301410 (external link)
I'm struggling to decide on a 10 stop for my landscape lens (Canon 17-40mm F4 L).

I've bought various filters over the years and I've generally bought B+W filters. So my first instinct is to pick up this one ....
But after reading up on some reviews, it seems this filter has a warm color cast. However, it is noted that the cast can be easily removed through WB settings or in post. Is there anyone there that has this filter and maybe comment on the situation?

Color casts are not consistent and will depend on the length of exposure, time of day, and sunlight conditions when you take the picture. Some of the pictures I take with my B+W 10 stop have a reddish color and some do not. Every picture I take (with or without the filter) will be adjusted for white balance anyway, so that is not really a concern.

Those reviews also mentioned great things about this Chinese brand 10-stop filter (Camdiox), which would ultimately cost me $50....

This is a significant savings, and it's better than the B+W: it has no color cast. Here's one more review specifically for this filter:
http://forums.overcloc​kers.co.uk/showthread.​php?t=18602588 (external link)

The pictures in posts #15 & 16 in that link have a red color cast. The backyard garden pictures in post #1 looks like they may have had a cast, then were improperly corrected to remove it and now just have a greenish tint. I don't see whatever you see at that link that is supposed to show a lack of color cast.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2014 14:43 |  #3

Whenenver possible, you want to cover the viewfinder of the camera to prevent light leak.
I've read several articles that have stated that light going into the viewfinder bounces around at the front element and the filter and causes the color casts.

1D bodies have a viewfinder shutter, most of the canon bodies come with a viewfinder cap that attaches to the strap.

That being said, my B+W 10stop was amazing to use at the beach on my vacation, able to get nice cloud movement and silky oceans just after mid-day with it and no color issues.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 03, 2014 06:56 |  #4

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #17305648 (external link)
Whenenver possible, you want to cover the viewfinder of the camera to prevent light leak.
I've read several articles that have stated that light going into the viewfinder bounces around at the front element and the filter and causes the color casts.

It won't cause a colour cast, but it can cause flare.

Colour casts can be caused by the filter letting through a lot of IR light, but it's normally down to the quality of the filter. All but the worst cases (welding glass) can be fixed by use of a grey target and shooting in raw.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,601 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 03, 2014 08:40 |  #5

Don't know about Camdiox, but Haida is a proven off brand that many board users use. Works very well.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 03, 2014 13:53 |  #6

I tried to go check on 10 stop and vari-nd filters before. Always had problems. I finally broke down and got the Lee set, been happy ever since. I don't use it that often, but I've never had any color cast issues on my end (or if I did, it was so trivial to resolve that I don't even remember doing it).

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

sponsored links

1,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which 10-stop filter: B+W (color cast issue?) or off-brand (Camdiox)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.