Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bad experience with B&H Photo

macky112
161 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 01, 2014 16:31 |  #1

I bought a 6D with Pro-10 printer bundle from B&H over black friday sale, and then realized that Adorama has the same bundle, same price, same rebate, but with an extra Canon battery

so I went to Henry Posner asking if he could help me out and throw in the Canon battery for me, and the response was no.

here is the actual email exchange ---------------

===============
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:17 PM, macky112 wrote:

From what I remember, of all of the times I asked for your help, i've never gotten any
So, no, I don't know how BH Photo bend over backwards for your customers
So, I guess throwing in an extra battery is more difficult than saying "bending over backwards for your customers" right?

===============
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Henry Posner <henryp@bhphoto.com> wrote:

I am sorry you feel this way. As a professional photographer, who has bought more than $10k worth of equipment from BH Photo in the past 4 years I think you’d know we bend over backwards for our customers whenever possible and always regret when circumstances force us to decline a request.

-- -

regards,
Henry Posner
Director of Corporate Communications
B&H Photo-Video, and Pro-Audio
http://www.bandh.com/ (external link)

Sent: Monday, December 01, 2014 4:57 PM
To: Henry Posner
Subject: Re: Confirmation of Your Order #

Dear Mr. Posner,

As a professional photographer, I've bought more than $10k worth of equipment from BH Photo in the past 4 years and you can't even throw in an extra battery for me?

if that's the case, I will take my future spending to your competitors in the future.

regards,
Macky

===============
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Henry Posner <henryp@bhphoto.com> wrote:

We will not match the Adorama package. I am sorry.

-- -

regards,
Henry Posner
Director of Corporate Communications
B&H Photo-Video, and Pro-Audio
http://www.bandh.com/ (external link)

Cameras: 5D III x2, 6D x2
Lenses: 14/2.8, Σ 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Σ 85/1.4, 17-40 L, 24-70/2.8 II L, 70-200/4 IS L, 70-200/2.8 IS II L
Flashes: 580EX II x3 :: Triggers: YN-622 x4

sponsored links
dandingo
321 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by dandingo.

Dec 01, 2014 16:44 |  #2

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't consider this a 'bad' experience. In fact, I would almost go as far as to say that there was nothing wrong with the transaction, at all. I've spent thousands at B&H, as well as Adorama and Amazon, and don't expect anything free from any of them. The representative was professional and politely declined to bundle-match.

You could very well have canceled your order at B&H and ordered from Adorama without resorting to posting his seemingly genuine email online while making him out to be a 'bad guy' simply because he didn't want to give you a free item.

FACEBOOK (external link)
GOOGLE+ (external link)

blair1955
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 01, 2014 16:46 |  #3

that's sad B&H wasn't willing to work with you, 10k is a lot to spend and I don't understand why they would't match Adorama.. I've bought about half of my gear from both stores. so far at least I've had good luck with each

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 01, 2014 16:47 |  #4

I am really struggling with this being a bad experience. It seems like you got a pretty good deal and the customer service was professional and polite.

macky112
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 01, 2014 16:59 |  #5

dalto wrote in post #17301718 (external link)
I am really struggling with this being a bad experience. It seems like you got a pretty good deal and the customer service was professional and polite.

how was stating bending over backwards and not approving a price match over a Canon battery from a director level manager professional?

I was not asking for a FREE battery on top of a good deal, I was asking for a Price Match to Adorama, which was stated on B&H website

Lenses: 14/2.8, Σ 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Σ 85/1.4, 17-40 L, 24-70/2.8 II L, 70-200/4 IS L, 70-200/2.8 IS II L

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 01, 2014 17:07 |  #6

So, you think you found a better deal and expect your supplier to match it after making the order? Come on! This is a form of blackmail by forum.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

ByInfernosLight
120 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 01, 2014 17:09 |  #7

It's not technically a price match since B&H wasn't offering the same package as Adorama. While it would've been nice for them to throw in the battery, I don't see why they should have to.

6D | 50D | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II | EF 28mm f1.8 | EF 40mm f2.8 | EF 50mm f1.8 II | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF-S 18-200mm | EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM | 430EX II | flickr (external link)[/SIZE]

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 01, 2014 17:10 |  #8

macky112 wrote in post #17301762 (external link)
how was stating bending over backwards and not approving a price match over a Canon battery from a director level manager professional?

I was not asking for a FREE battery on top of a good deal, I was asking for a Price Match to Adorama, which was stated on B&H website

You sound like a little kid throwing a tantrum. You asked for a free battery, they said no. There is where it ends and there is nothing bad about them saying no.

The only one here not being professional is you.

I also don't see where on their page they say that they do price matching.

Gear List

Nethawked
802 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 01, 2014 17:12 |  #9

B&H was professional and courteous, as usual.

Here's the key statement:

so I went to Henry Posner asking...

You quickly went from "ask" to "demand". Sorry, not what you wanted to hear but you've made your choice - take your business elsewhere.

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 01, 2014 17:13 |  #10

ByInfernosLight wrote in post #17301805 (external link)
It's not technically a price match since B&H wasn't offering the same package as Adorama. While it would've been nice for them to throw in the battery, I don't see why they should have to.

Yes, but the order had been made. This is outside the realms of pricematch as the Adorama offer does not appear to have been mentioned in the intial purchase. This is not poor service by B&H IMO.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 01, 2014 17:14 |  #11

macky112 wrote in post #17301762 (external link)

I am not sure we have the same definition of professional. It is possible to be professional without while denying a request.

Could you not just buy the package you want from Adorama and return what you bought from B&H?

macky112
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 01, 2014 17:14 |  #12

Numenorean wrote in post #17301807 (external link)
I also don't see where on their page they say that they do price matching.

I just noticed that too, so buyers beware!

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 01, 2014 18:21 |  #13

blair1955 wrote in post #17301716 (external link)
that's sad B&H wasn't willing to work with you, 10k is a lot to spend and I don't understand why they would't match Adorama.. I've bought about half of my gear from both stores. so far at least I've had good luck with each

While $10k is a lot of money, I wouldn't consider $10k over 4 years, from a pro, to give anyone (especially a pro) any kind of special privilege. Granted, once people have good gear, they don't need to replace it that often, but given what pro-level gear costs, $10k over 4 years just isn't that big a deal. And while I'm all about trying to get the best deal I can, I wouldn't be making a stink out of this. As others have said, why not just cancel/return the B&H order and go w/ the Adorama offer. I mean really, all this commotion over a battery that you can buy for $57, when you're supposed to be a pro, just doesn't make any sense. It just makes you sound cheap and petty.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,706 posts
Gallery: 541 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 01, 2014 18:34 |  #14

Can you just send the package back to B&H then purchase from Adorama?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

HelenOster
That's me!
4,586 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 01, 2014 18:41 |  #15

I think Henry was 100% in the right. B&H will do a better deal on some things Adorama will do a better deal on others. That's called 'competition'. And as retailers, and competitors - and family-owned businesses, we not only have the right to set our own prices without fear of being held to ransom, but we owe it to our customers to provide alternatives.
Otherwise, we may as well amalgamate into Badarhama or let Amazon take us both over - and going forward consumer choice will be severely restricted.

I would guess that today, one of the two busiest days in the retail year, I've spent around 3 hours simply dealing with price match 'requests' - and quite a few 'demands' where supposedly loyal customers have threatened, blackmailed and generally filled my mailbox with hate.

It simply isn't acceptable. The whole price matching thing has got completely out of hand in my opinion. Having already made a decision that eg $2,000 is a reasonable price to pay for an item, then on what grounds can anyone suddenly insist that it's no longer reasonable?

sponsored links

15,162 views & 86 likes for this thread
bad experience with B&H Photo
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.