Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bad experience with B&H Photo

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 04, 2014 01:55 |  #46

@ anthonysemone

I agree with you, and I immediately changed words. Thank you!

sponsored links
TMaG82
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 05, 2014 18:53 |  #47

I love B&H and they have a customer for life. Most recently I asked them if they could match an order before I placed an order for the 7DM2. Received a response about 4 hours later with a custom invoice for the price match, saving me more than $300. When I wasn't able to get the invoice working online, called them up and the rep on the phone was more than happy to help process the order and wished me good luck with the purchase.

Long story short I had to send the camera back due to AF inconsistency but they understood and took it back. Received an email today stating that they accepted my return and while processing it, realized that I left an extra battery in the package and they would be returning it at their expense.

I didn't even realize that I had left a battery in the box. So not only did they price match a savings of $300, they returned a $50 battery to me at their expense no less. I wouldn't have realized that I was missing a battery. They could've simply tossed it or if I inquired they could've just said that they weren't responsible for any lost items.

The key here is I emailed asking about a promo match before I ordered it, if they had said no, then I would've understood since their discretion to match is just that, their discretion.

Many times I've ordered a new item upon release and shortly after found it was packaged with free items. A simple email and I have a box on my way with the free items (memory card, bag, etc).

Current Gear: Sony RX1RII

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 05, 2014 19:29 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

henryp wrote in post #17308125 (external link)
We're very sorry for your dissatisfaction. We try to say, "Yes," to price match inquiries as often as possible, but there are times we cannot do so. We regret when we cannot and regret it so stirred your ire.

I am also sorry that, having chosen to publish private emails in a public forum, you omitted my documentation that on the three previous instances you asked for special consideration over and above what other customer had received (and outside our usual policies and procedures) and we did say, "Yes," to two. The third was your asking us to price match a retailer whom we have decided never to price match, based on their overall online reputation.

This is my PERSONAL opinion: You cannot buy customer loyalty with low prices, freebies or price-match deals. You EARN customer loyalty with service.

I am humbled and gratified by all the comments other forum members posted here. It is very kind of each of you to have taken the time to share opinions and experiences. Thank you all!

48 posts. 1 is kind of indifferent. All the others clearly slam the OP for slamming B&H. I gotta go with the majority on this one. I've only ordered two or three times from B&H. One time I had an issue. Customer service handled it like the professionals they are.

Please see Henry's PERSONAL opinion above. THAT is what I want when I'm spending money. If you are after the cheapest goods, Walmart is open 24/7.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

HelenOster
That's me!
4,586 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 06, 2014 16:43 |  #49

Blurr Cube wrote in post #17308559 (external link)
Recently, I had one of those "doesn't hurt to ask scenarios". Asked something from Adorama CSR with Helen on the cc:. Helen said no. To me, that was it. Nothing to post here. Later, CSR emailed and said yes and worked it out. So, Yay for me. Not Helen's fault... to her knowledge, my request was not doable. Lucky for me CSR team was able to do something.

Curious to know what it was?? Can you email me: Helen@adorama.com

HelenOster
That's me!
4,586 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 06, 2014 16:44 |  #50

WhyFi wrote in post #17308842 (external link)
Stop sucking up - it's not going to get you a deal.  :p

Wanna bet???;-)a

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 07, 2014 13:48 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

I was going to order a new LP-E6 from Adorama.com. Can you guys throw in free 200-400 1.4x? :) I hear B&H is offering that deal.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 07, 2014 13:55 |  #52

B&H rocks! I am a hobbyist and spend relatively little money there but every time I have been treated very well. Love B&H!!!

sosaysmorvant
55 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 07, 2014 15:11 |  #53

B&H and Adorama are two of my favorite sites to purchase photo products. They normally have good products for a fair price with great customer service.

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 07, 2014 16:10 |  #54

HelenOster wrote in post #17316784 (external link)
Curious to know what it was?? Can you email me: Helen@adorama.com

Just did. ;-)a

| Canon EOS Systems |

Walshman
32 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2014 01:19 |  #55

Charles Brown wrote in post #17308788 (external link)
One thing I've resisted doing: Getting Helen or Henry involved right away in any negotiations for "deals" or special pricing considerations.

Stop and think about it for ONE second.

There is just ONE Henry for B&H.

There is just ONE Helen for Adorama.

Compare and contrast these two fantastic ones to the literally 100's of significant photography forums, the thousands of insignificant photography sites, the hundreds of thousands of photography blogs, the millions of actual customers of the two stores, and the billions of potential customers worldwide. I've even read Henry address customer concerns on an airline website, for crying outloud.

Henry and Helen... ones in a million.

And to these ones, you wish to intricately involve them in the petty details of a freebie? After the fact of a transaction you already agreed to? And then try to demonize them in a public forum? That's probably not going to play very well for you around here.

I can completely understand the ongoing war between consumer and retailer, where every transaction is a replay of the Battle of the Bulge... bulging profit margin, versus bulging credit card bill. And in that battle, as a consumer, you have every right to ask for, or even DEMAND, the best deal possible for yourself, not matter how small. It is your battleground. Key word: YOUR.

But do you really think it is reasonable to call in for reinforcements on this little skirmish? Don't you think you oughta save your Henry and Helen cards for a more significant defense? In fact, didn't you consider that you might be blowing up your radio, degrading your ability to call in for help when you really might need it later on?

Remember, there is only ONE Henry, and ONE Helen. They are real people, with intellect, experience, perspective, and... a memory. Think about it next time you call them in on your attacks.

Personally, while I've corresponded with both, I've never brought them in on the specific negotiations for my purchases. That is what B&H and Adorama pay SALES REPRESENTATIVES for. And once the deal is negotiated and paid for, if there is a problem, that is what B&H and Adorama have a CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT for.

Only after exhausting all avenues of these purpose built, optimized and streamlined mechanisms for customer satisfaction, should one consider directly involving Henry or Helen. They should be the last resort, not the first step. There is only one of them a piece. Use them wisely.

This is one of the best posts I've read on these forums - It really makes you step back for a second and recognize the fact that B&H and Adorama have presence on POTN and that this community is so connected - escalation to Henry or Helen should be reserved for the last resort on a customer service situation.

vfotog
167 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 09, 2014 03:43 |  #56

I've shopped at B&H and Adorama. NO complaints. I've been shooting for decades but I've also managed a couple of camera stores. (Oh, the stories I could tell.) The reality is that the customer is NOT always right. Obviously the OP is one of those customers. The ones that are never satisfied... and if you do something for them, you regret it because they then expect it every time. He's whining cos he didn't get something for nothing on top of the Black Friday package which was no doubt already a discounted price. Then we learn from Henry's post that this guy has tried to get accommodated at least 3 times before this. Ugh. If the dude has to go begging every time he makes a purchase, he should find a hobby he can afford. A professional would get that B&H and Adorama are businesses. Running businesses takes money. They even have to pay someone to deal with his whiny self. A professional wouldn't be publicly pouting over not getting a free battery. Boo hoo. Notice the guy is in Irvine, CA. We have camera stores in So Cal; my guess is everyone suddenly has to take their breaks or lunches when they see him walking in the door.

adriannejune24
53 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Dec 10, 2014 23:09 |  #57

Only reason I'm buying from b&h is because of no tax unlike in adorama

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 11, 2014 01:28 |  #58

I've purchased from B&H and Adorama with nothing short of excellent service. My last dealing with Adorama was amazing after a battery issue with my Rovelight and Helen was terrific in helping me get fixed up.

Funny how the OP has disappeared. Lol.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,839 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by Methodical. (2 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2014 18:37 |  #59

Oooh. When I read the OP's post, I knew where this was going and knew it would not be pretty for the OP.:eek:

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 11, 2014 18:44 |  #60

macky112 wrote in post #17301829 (external link)
I just noticed that too, so buyers beware!

So because they don't say they price match, and you think they price match, buyers should beware? Wow...you're a piece of work. I'd be happy to get rid of you as a customer.

Gear List

sponsored links

15,168 views & 86 likes for this thread
bad experience with B&H Photo
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.