Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND sega62 (showing now: sega62)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
photo by johntorcasio
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 6D

Canon EOS 6D, reviewed by sega62

medd63
406 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 15, 2015 10:46 |  #16

Just got my 6D with in a bundle from B&H. Final price was $1,150 after rebate. Now if I can just sell the Canon Pixima Pro 100 printer (brand new - never opened) I can reduce the cost even further! :-)

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

sponsored links
UKmitch86
318 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 16, 2015 18:32 |  #17

Would anybody here ever be tempted to trade their 6d for a 1Ds3?

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2015 02:42 as a reply to  @ post 17561541 |  #18

Because while it may just have one good focus point, it's a REALLY good focus point.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

ramsau
Hatchling
8 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 17, 2015 21:53 |  #19

I contemplated really long between the 5DII and the 6D and ended up getting the 6D because of newer tech. So far, have not been disappointed. Gets pretty grainy in low light with high ISO, but it's not too bad.

UKmitch86
318 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 18, 2015 04:12 |  #20

ramsau wrote in post #17711694 (external link)
I contemplated really long between the 5DII and the 6D and ended up getting the 6D because of newer tech. So far, have not been disappointed. Gets pretty grainy in low light with high ISO, but it's not too bad.

Thanks for the reply - could you quantify at which ISO images become grainy in low light?

When I had a 5Dc, I found I could get away quite easily with 1000, but 1600 was a bit too far to hope to recover in post.

I read that the quality of noise and the banding effects on the 5D/6D series are nowhere near as pronounced on the 1Ds3, so using 1600 sounds viable.

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Sep 18, 2015 05:43 |  #21

ramsau wrote in post #17711694 (external link)

Not too bad? It's one of the best lowlight performing sensors on the market

Fujifilm X100F

UKmitch86
318 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 18, 2015 08:00 |  #22

Hermelin wrote in post #17711919 (external link)
Not too bad? It's one of the best lowlight performing sensors on the market

Understandably the merits (and therefore, the focus) of the 6D are its image quality and ISO performance - because those are what it's good at. Unfortunately, that's generally all we hear about - could somebody comment on what it's not so good at, without resorting to spec tables? A lot of the enjoyment of photography in general (certainly for me) comes from the feel and satisfaction of operation.

Does the 6D make you want to shoot with it more?

Is it responsive?

How long do images take to write to the card?

How does the battery life do?

Do you feel like you could do with fitting a grip to improve it ergonomically?

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by dexter75.

Sep 19, 2015 15:22 |  #23

UKmitch86 wrote in post #17712013 (external link)
Understandably the merits (and therefore, the focus) of the 6D are its image quality and ISO performance - because those are what it's good at. Unfortunately, that's generally all we hear about - could somebody comment on what it's not so good at, without resorting to spec tables? A lot of the enjoyment of photography in general (certainly for me) comes from the feel and satisfaction of operation.

Does the 6D make you want to shoot with it more?

Is it responsive?

How long do images take to write to the card?

How does the battery life do?

Do you feel like you could do with fitting a grip to improve it ergonomically?

Its a great camera, plenty responsive enough. Im using a 16GB 633x card and it writes instantly at the highest JPEG setting, I can snap away as fast as it focuses (which is very fast BTW) Not sure about battery life because I bought an extra battery and the grip at the same time. I think its a perfect size with the grip and Ive put about 800 shots on it, don't think its hardly made a dent in the battery. I used to go about 3k shots before I even thought of charging my batteries on my gripped 5Dii. The $300 instant rebate is good till Oct 6th I believe. At $1399, its really a no brainer. Thats only a few hundred more than a 70D and less than the 7Dii.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 19, 2015 16:56 |  #24

UKmitch86 wrote in post #17711889 (external link)
Thanks for the reply - could you quantify at which ISO images become grainy in low light?

When I had a 5Dc, I found I could get away quite easily with 1000, but 1600 was a bit too far to hope to recover in post.

I read that the quality of noise and the banding effects on the 5D/6D series are nowhere near as pronounced on the 1Ds3, so using 1600 sounds viable.

We all have varying definitions of viable when it come to IQ. 1600 ISO shooting what? Runway models? Rugby Sevens? Weddings?

The 1DS3 would be a completely different shooting experience because of the AF and customization alone, not to mention the extra storage slot, much bigger battery, better weather sealing and built-in grip. That doesn't mean the 6D is just for us punters, but it isn't really for a professional that needs as many built-in failsafes as possible either.

Put good glass on this camera and it will deliver.

I decided against getting a grip for my 6D because I like to keep it as portable as possible. I miss the grip a little when I do the occasional sports shoot, but not enough to want to lug the weight. As-is, it balances well with my prime lineup--even the S50A. The existing grip is plenty deep and tall and it handles almost identical to my old 60D when I had the grip off.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a wedding with it, although I would put a grip on it. My second camera would have dual card slots, though. The Silent shutter on the 6D can be a really great feature.

As far as enjoying the shooting process with he 6D, that probably comes down to preference. 1D series owners would probably want their old features back, but not miss the extra bulk.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Biffnix
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 24, 2015 07:09 |  #25

mickeyb105 wrote in post #17713617 (external link)
My second camera would have dual card slots, though. The Silent shutter on the 6D can be a really great feature

Just wondering - do professional photographers *really* need the space for an extra card slot? I've just purchased two 128GB SDXC-UHI cards for less than $200, and that'll hold, what - over 20k images and video to boot. It can't be a storage issue, can it? And since it takes about 3 seconds to swap out an SD card for another, it can't be convenience. What's the reasoning behind wanting more than one card slot on a handheld DSLR? I've read this criticism on more than one review of the 6D, and can't really understand it.

Cheers.

medd63
406 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 24, 2015 08:34 |  #26

I believe professionals write to BOTH cards simultaneously, as a fail safe backup against a defective card. That is why there are dual slots. For pros, its not about quantity of storage, but rather the piece of mind of knowing they didn't miss the shot because of a faulty card.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

Biffnix
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 24, 2015 10:26 as a reply to  @ medd63's post |  #27

Is having a defective card even a thing? I've been using pretty much all formats of flash-based media since...well, I'm 51 now, so I've been using USB, Compact Flash, and SD/SDHC/UH-I of all flavors since they were sold for public use. I've never had one fail while using it, whether in a camera, laptop, desktop, phone, or tablet, except for **one** USB drive that failed about five years ago. I can't really think that having a spare card in your pocket/bag/taped to the camera would be so much trouble that it's worth increasing the cost for anyone who wants to buy the camera body. I mean, did film bodies have dual-film-paths so you could load two different rolls of film, just in case the film canister was "faulty?" Not even the cameras used on the Apollo moon missions did that.

It just seems like overkill. Just my two cents, of course.

CheleA
354 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 24, 2015 10:55 |  #28

Biffnix wrote in post #17758341 (external link)
Is having a defective card even a thing?

It just seems like overkill. Just my two cents, of course.

I don't think it's a matter of "will it fail" as much as "it CAN fail", many times there is no way to go back and re-shoot the event. Paranoia can be your friend:) I don't work in anything related to photography, but can appreciate the need to have a back up of everything, or at least the critical things. Can you imagine shooting an event that took weeks/months and tons of money(and stress) to organize and then hear the photographer missed all the shots because his memory card(s) failed?

Biffnix
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 24, 2015 11:24 |  #29

CheleA wrote in post #17758367 (external link)
I don't think it's a matter of "will it fail" as much as "it CAN fail", many times there is no way to go back and re-shoot the event. Paranoia can be your friend:) I don't work in anything related to photography, but can appreciate the need to have a back up of everything, or at least the critical things. Can you imagine shooting an event that took weeks/months and tons of money(and stress) to organize and then hear the photographer missed all the shots because his memory card(s) failed?

Oh, I understand the rationale - I just don't agree with it...:-P

I would suggest that the failure rate of an SDHC/UH-I card is lower than the rate at which photographers lose their images to the following*:

1. drop all of their cameras out of their hands accidentally, rendering them useless for the event
2. forget to remove the lens cap(s)
3. be killed in an automobile accident driving home from the event
4. be struck by lightning

*I have no idea what the failure rate of SD cards is. All statistics shown are derived intestinally.

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 24, 2015 17:27 |  #30

Ive been a pro photographer for 11 years now, meaning this is all I do, this is my only source of income. Ive done thousands of shoots over those 11 years and Ive only had a card fail ONE time on a shoot, and that was using some cheap off brand card (Patriot? I think) so it was my own fault. Not really an issue at all from my experience.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM

sponsored links

15,705 views & 14 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 6D, reviewed by sega62
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.