Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bugs in AMASS

this thread is locked
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,815 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 5 years ago by Pekka.

Dec 01, 2014 19:41 |  #1

I have found few bugs in AMASS, this live situation is very good for that!! :)

1. There is a protection to prevent automated gallery image delete when post is edited and image URL is changed. This fails on attachments (and it is actually not needed for them because uploaded images have their own gallery protection system.

2. Conversion to review fails on one specific area, that needs to be fixed before it can be used.

3. Some thumbs were not built, and some posted hosted photos failed image side/validity check. This was due DNS, not that images are behind IP all seems to be ok. I fixed the thumbs.

4. External link images and smileys fail to render in signatures . This will be fixed tomorrow.

More to come, I'm positive :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004
Post edited over 5 years ago by BrandonSi. (4 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2014 19:44 |  #2

I've noticed that when linking to an image (even though it has a .jpg extension) that involved a .php script, the image fails to render (error about inline rendering / not an image).

Here's an random example.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Actual link
http://brandonharrisph​otography.com/i.php?/0​00/037/RBH-2165,large.1397656045.​jpg

I've found a work-around for my specific situation (link to the cached image, not the i.php link) but not sure if this is intended behavior or not.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,815 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 01, 2014 19:50 |  #3

BrandonSi wrote in post #17302449 (external link)
I've noticed that when linking to an image (even though it has a .jpg extension) that involved a .php script, the image fails to render (error about inline rendering / not an image).

Here's an random example.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/' | Byte size: ZERO

What is going on there, is that AMASS prevents scripted images to be rendered on the forums. The image URL you have there is actually a php script. Those script are not safe to show as they can be altered to send e.g. random ads very easily. You can see how AMASS "judges" the url by putting it into the EMBED IMAGE FROM WEB tool in the post editor.

The error display/text differs by error type and case, for example html error page instead of an image is shown like https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=4511883

I can make exceptions to the image judging rules by individual cases if need is dire.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 01, 2014 20:06 |  #4

Pekka wrote in post #17302482 (external link)
What is going on there, is that AMASS prevents scripted images to be rendered on the forums. The image URL you have there is actually a php script. Those script are not safe to show as they can be altered to send e.g. random ads very easily. You can see how AMASS "judges" the url by putting it into the EMBED IMAGE FROM WEB tool in the post editor.

The error display/text differs by error type and case, for example html error page instead of an image is shown like https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=4511883

I can make exceptions to the image judging rules by individual cases if need is dire.

Yeah, I figured as much. It's not dire, but Koken (the popular software I use for that blog) and other platforms are going to generate these links for people. It took me all of 10 seconds to figure it out, but others who have no idea what's happening are going to be confused. Perhaps if it becomes a larger issue, maybe file header verification would be an option, in combination with link verification (detect php in image tag, identify file extension, verify header matches extension type).

Definitely not an "urgent" issue, more of a heads-up. :)

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by cedm.

Dec 01, 2014 20:37 |  #5

With all due respect, and I really appreciate the efforts made to create this new forum from scratch, but I had a look at the source code of the generated pages and almost had a heart attack... Why all the inline styles? That massively bloats the page and makes design tweaks tougher. You'd get much smaller pages by relying and classes and ids. Put all your styles into one separate CSS file.

Also, concatenate all your javascript files to reduce the amount of network requests needed to load the page. I can see 7 js files, so 7 separate requests needed, going through time consuming client-server handshake before getting downloaded. You already minify your JS. That's great. Now, do the same with your CSS.

Use more semantic tags (header 1..6, paragraph, strong, em, etc.), and rely less on "span" elements. That'll give a meaning to your content and boost your pages relevance in search engines.

Watch out for duplicated ids (your permalinks). They have to be unique.

Let me know if you need any help. I'd be glad to contribute.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,815 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 01, 2014 20:43 |  #6

cedm wrote in post #17302662 (external link)
With all due respect, and I really appreciate the efforts made to create this new forum from scratch, but I had a look at the source code of the generated pages and almost had a heart attack... Why all the inline styles? That massively bloats the page and makes design tweaks tougher. You'd get much smaller pages by relying and classes and ids. Put all your styles into one separate CSS file.

Yes, the CSS and inline CSS is one task to clean up. It is not however such a big issue that it needs to be done right away. It compresses very well.

Also, concatenate all your javascript files to reduce the amount of network requests needed to load the page. I can see 7 js files, so 7 separate requests needed, going through time consuming client-server handshake before getting downloaded. You already minify your JS. That's great. Now, do the same with your CSS.

Use more semantic tags (header 1..6, paragraph, strong, em, etc.), and rely less on "span" elements. That'll give a meaning to your content and boost your pages relevance in search engines.

I know the semantics, there is plently of it. More time for that later.

Watch out for duplicated ids (your permalinks). They have to be unique.

id format issue is known, thanks.

Let me know if you need any help. I'd be glad to contribute.

Thanks.

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 01, 2014 20:48 |  #7

Sounds like you're right on it. That's great, and thanks again for all your efforts. This is my favorite forum! :)

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 01, 2014 20:54 |  #8

I found that the "Added to Forum Gallery" that appears to the left of each of the forums only seems to be the size of the height of the content of the forum... See screen shots...

Overall excellent work...!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,815 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 01, 2014 21:01 as a reply to  @ mguffin's post |  #9

Thanks, I know :)
You can scroll the gallery with wheel or finger, when there is more content it will reveal.

scotch
Goldmember
1,516 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 01, 2014 21:43 |  #10

Not sure if a bug...but even those who have had their names changed, their old quoted posts pull the old username. The posts, in their own right, do not.

J ­ Michael
974 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 02, 2014 05:20 |  #11

The browser back button takes you to an unexpected place. If I drill down to a forum I expect the back button to take me back up a level. If I click to page 2 of a thread from page 1 I expect the back button to take me back to page 1.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,246 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 02, 2014 11:10 |  #12

J Michael wrote in post #17303804 (external link)
The browser back button takes you to an unexpected place. If I drill down to a forum I expect the back button to take me back up a level. If I click to page 2 of a thread from page 1 I expect the back button to take me back to page 1.

This was discussed in beta. (Pekka, can we reveal such things now?) I found it peculiar, too. I expect the Back and Forward commands to toggle. Someone who works in IT said the industry standard has changed and Back and Forward don't necessarily work that way now.

Sometimes, on this site, using Back takes you to the same place where you were. You have to do it again to get truly "back."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,815 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 02, 2014 11:26 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #17304848 (external link)
This was discussed in beta. (Pekka, can we reveal such things now?) I found it peculiar, too. I expect the Back and Forward commands to toggle. Someone who works in IT said the industry standard has changed and Back and Forward don't necessarily work that way now.

Sometimes, on this site, using Back takes you to the same place where you were. You have to do it again to get truly "back."

Back meaning "back to previous page and to top of that page" is not what browsers do. They sort of rewind intelligently.

Ursyn
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 02, 2014 12:36 |  #14

I noticed that when I'm trying to change the font by 'CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES' at the bottom of the page, the function changes everything except quoted text.

Pekka & Co. you've made a great job! Thanks for your efforts.

Adrian | flickr (external link) & Instagram (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,371 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 03, 2014 12:34 |  #15

Small bug with the foul language checker...

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

50,408 views & 16 likes for this thread
Bugs in AMASS
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.