Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 05:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hate the new look...

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 06, 2014 17:42 as a reply to  @ post 17313202 |  #46

You should have had a real web/graphic designer guide the front end redesign of this site. Just by looking at the font choices and sizing (script for headline each topic component?! Really?!) tells me that whoever designed it doesn't know the first thing about typography. The site is difficult to look at, even worse to navigate. Absolutely horrendous redesign! Way to ruin something that worked perfectly fine. Wasn't perfect but it was infinitely better than what it is now. You're going to loose a lot of members over this, mark my words. Sad...

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,768 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pekka. (2 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2014 18:00 as a reply to  @ pixel_junkie's post |  #47

See https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1409897

I appreciate the feedback, no matter how blunt.

Just that you know, the upgrade is not about looks, it is about what POTN can do. I will do plenty of upgrades to the look and navigation in the future and I know its problems. The time constraints have been huge and styling was not top priority, perfecting the engine and platform was. Do not assume that "this look is it for the next 10 years". In near future there will be notable changes already.

Also, if you are yourself a good designer, fee free make me specific suggestions. Script font is liked by many, but apparently not by some. Not all have to be formal and conventional. This is a site honoring the art of photography. If I get a visually attractive alternative for it I may change it.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 06, 2014 18:33 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #48

You ever hear the expression "Simplicity is the ultimate sign of sophistication"? There's a reason why Apple is one of the biggest companies in the world - why is that? Minimal approach to design of everything they touch. People like that very much - simple, minimal, uncluttered, basic fonts. But they are not the only ones that follow this theory. Look at all the top brands of the world (Microsoft, Apple, Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, Rolex, whoever you can think of ...) - all of them have one thing in common - ultra clean, simple websites. These are websites that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to create, yet they are some of the simplest, cleanest designs out there. It isn't a coincidence, there's a good reason behind that. Borrow from them!

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,739 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 06, 2014 19:17 |  #49

pixel_junkie wrote in post #17316946 (external link)
You ever hear the expression "Simplicity is the ultimate sign of sophistication"?

No, I've never heard that one. In my world, it hasn't replaced the one about not biting the feeding hand.

There's a reason why Apple is one of the biggest companies in the world - why is that?

The free snacks for all employees? No . . .

Minimal approach to design of everything they touch. People like that very much - simple, minimal, uncluttered, basic fonts.

It's a matter of taste. Not everyone likes a severe Bauhaus style.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Strontium
Durr?
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2014 19:22 |  #50

These are websites that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to create, yet they are some of the simplest, cleanest designs out there. It isn't a coincidence, there's a good reason behind that. Borrow from them!

Simple, yet hundreds of thousands of dollars... Sounds like a waste of revenue.

Send Pekka 100,000 dollars, then complain. He did this on his own dime.

I am I

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,208 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 06, 2014 19:56 |  #51

If your saying Microsoft's website is good, I say you're nuts and that they got ripped off. Also POTN is a forum, not a retailer.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,860 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2014 20:34 |  #52

You ever hear the expression "Simplicity is the ultimate sign of sophistication"? There's a reason why Apple is one of the biggest companies in the world - why is that? Minimal approach to design of everything they touch. People like that very much - simple, minimal, uncluttered, basic fonts. But they are not the only ones that follow this theory. Look at all the top brands of the world (Microsoft, Apple, Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, Rolex, whoever you can think of ...) - all of them have one thing in common - ultra clean, simple websites. These are websites that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to create, yet they are some of the simplest, cleanest designs out there. It isn't a coincidence, there's a good reason behind that. Borrow from them!

And that is why I don't frequent their sites. I frequent this site for photography and camaraderie of other like-minded individuals, and not the site design. That being said, a vast majority here like the site (less than 10% dislike it from those that answer the polls), and we will lose some members in the short term, but gain more than that later. I don't want this site to look like others, PERIOD. I like it being unique and unlike anything else out there. This isn't a software website, a car manufacturer website, this is an artist website. Mark my words, and I have been around the software/web circuit for a VERY LONG TIME, even in the days of internet infancy.

If you would spend some time reading through all the feedback threads and responses by Pekka, you would see that this is a continually changing site, with improvements made often. It is a shame you think that this site should look like all the others where they spent thousands of dollars to marketing firms and departments to develop their sites, but do it without the funding. How utterly ridiculous... If there was a way to do it, think of all the savings the fortune 500 companies would have, and make their shareholders happy! Oh, there is no way to do it, so why suggest something so ludicrous?

Sorry to be so blunt, but I work in this industry. As an executive IT manager, I have sat down with marketing firms locally to help design our website and looks, worked with consulting companies to help our development team develop our web apps, and so when I see comments like this, I have no other words than what I put above. If you were to interview and state how our designs should match all the other big companies, that would tell me you don't have the creativity and that "out of the box" initiative that we would be looking for in our application designs, in order to be an industry disruptor instead of an industry follower.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Strontium
Durr?
7,399 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2014 20:46 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #53

I like Chet's avatar, more.

I am I

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,208 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 06, 2014 20:54 |  #54

Str0ntium wrote in post #17317247 (external link)
I like Chet's avatar, more.

Thanks! That Ron guy is out of control!

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 06, 2014 21:11 |  #55

Ya'll have no taste in old TV. This was king!

IMAGE: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9JMkKKX3IsY/hqdefault.jpg

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,860 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 06, 2014 21:14 |  #56

How many here remember the Saturday morning shows used to have the Ronald McDonald show? Saturday morning kids shows were so much more fun and instructive even vs the junk on now. My kids don't even know what Saturday morning cartoons are. Even the Monkees had a slot.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Strontium
Durr?
7,399 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2014 21:15 |  #57

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17317315 (external link)
How many here remember the Saturday morning shows used to have the Ronald McDonald show? Saturday morning kids shows were so much more fun and instructive even vs the junk on now. My kids don't even know what Saturday morning cartoons are.

Yes, I remember the 70's. Now, I'm longing for the 70's. We'll soon be killing each other in the streets, again, like the 60's.

I am I

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 06, 2014 21:18 |  #58

I prefer the old look as well.. much easier to read and navigate.

Gearlist

Strontium
Durr?
7,399 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2014 21:19 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #59

I feel the opposite.

I am I

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 06, 2014 21:27 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #60

I prefer the old one too.
And I know I don't count for much but I do have the right to say I don't like the new forum.
I'll still participate because POTN is the best photog community I've found and I thank Pekka for his efforts over the years.
I just can't participate as much because I don't enjoy using it as much as I used to.

:-)

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

sponsored links

14,395 views & 32 likes for this thread
Hate the new look...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.