Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with choosing diffuser.

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 13, 2014 00:19 |  #1

Hello to all,

I have a Canon 580ex and am looking to get a diffuser. Not sure what is a reasonable good one but I found these three options. Hopefully someone can shed some light on these diffusers. Thank you in advanced.

http://www.adorama.com​/FAFD60.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/SFOMCA7.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/HBDDA13.html (external link)

Open to suggestions.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2014 00:34 |  #2

For all intents and purposes, when all three products are on a flashhead aimed upward for ceiling bounce, their area -- as seen by the subjects -- is tiny and will result in a relatively 'hard' light source going forward and creating hard edged shadows (under the chin for example). SIZE is the only characteristic to achieve 'soft light'. Any miniscule size difference between the three products is, for all intents and purposes of softness of light -- 'identical'.

Ceiling bounce softens light because much of the ceiling 'becomes a bounce card'.

Outside, such produces are totally valueless...they only waste flash power -- scattering light 180 degrees away from the subject! -- and help consume your batteries much faster.

If you want to buy ONE of the three products, calculate the 'cost per square inch' of perceived area seen by the subject, and pay the lowest 'price per square inch'. Better yet, buy none of them.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2014 00:35 |  #3

The answer is to buy none of them. They don't do what you think they do. They dont soften light, allmthey do is scatter it around the room if tjere is any white surace you might get some bounce. You are netter served with learning to bounce your flash. All these plastic devices do is waste flash power.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2014 00:37 |  #4

firme wrote in post #17329447 (external link)
Hello to all,

I have a Canon 580ex and am looking to get a diffuser. Not sure what is a reasonable good one but I found these three options. Hopefully someone can shed some light on these diffusers. Thank you in advanced.

http://www.adorama.com​/FAFD60.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/SFOMCA7.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/HBDDA13.html (external link)

Open to suggestions.

Agreed with the posts by Wilt and gonzogolf.

Plus, these diffusers look really dorky.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 13, 2014 01:18 |  #5

Agree with the others. Save your money.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 13, 2014 07:14 |  #6

I, too, agree that all of the choices listed are a total waste of money, light, and battery power.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,730 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by digital paradise.

Dec 13, 2014 08:39 |  #7

I wasted a lot of time and money on diffusers at one period of light. This style of a diffuser is based on the original called an omni bounce. Omni means all so basically all directions and bounce means it needs walls, ceilings and pretty much anything it can to bounce light off. This was what these products are designed to do. Think of it as a light bulb in a room. As stated as a stand alone it will not do any more than your bare flash will. It is still a small light source. If you want more info on that just ask.

Not to say that it does not work in a small room. It will throw light all over the place. At a larger venue or outdoors it is does nothing for you and indeed just wastes light and battery power. Back to a smaller room. If that diffuser sprays light all over to bounce a skilled strobist will say you can achieve the same by rotating the flash head bouncing off the ceilings, etc.

It is not like these devices are going to break your bank account so if you want one I'd buy the least expensive and experiment. Just realize what it was designed to do and what it's limitations are. I wager eventually it will become a battery holder like it has for many others.

After taking lighting courses and hanging around here I gave all my diffusers away. Here is an interesting link.

http://russellspixelpi​x.blogspot.ca …no-need-to-spend-big.html (external link)

If you want to learn how to get great flash shots this could be the only place you need.

http://neilvn.com/tang​ents/ (external link)

Start in the blue column on the right.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …tledcopy3_zpsd4​3839d8.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2014 10:57 |  #8

One of the benefits of being my age is that you get some historical context for things. Before the stofen was a product news photographers used to cut the bottom off of rubbing alcohol bottles and slide them over the head of a flash. They did this not for any diffusion benefit but rather to get a decent spread of light from flashes that did not have auto zoom heads. This was very important if your flash had a significant hot spot and you were using a wide angle lens up close in a tight spot. Sometimes there might have been some soffeng effect but it was a benefit, not a feature. The stofen diffuser just commercialized that idea. The fact that its cheap and accessible makes it popular but the expectations exceed the capability.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 13, 2014 11:22 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I played with a Stofen diffuser on a 580EX II. I my opinion, it is a waste of whatever it costs. The contraption just wastes too much light. Anything and everything that a Stofen does can be done more efficiently with out it. I make use of my 580's ability to elevate past vertical and rotate 180 degrees in both directions. You also have a white reflector panel and a plastic diffuser for wider angles and softer light when bouncing. All of that makes for a quite versatile unit. I have yet to run into a camera-mounted-single-flash situation where I needed anything more than the 580EX II, a rubber band, and a 3x5 card.

Somewhere in my closet is a Stofen diffuser for a 580EX II, and a Lumiquest soft-box that also fits on the flash head. Pay the postage and you can have them. I'll never use them again.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,730 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2014 11:24 |  #10

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17330048 (external link)
I played with a Stofen diffuser on a 580EX II. I my opinion, it is a waste of whatever it costs. The contraption just wastes too much light. Anything and everything that a Stofen does can be done more efficiently with out it. I make use of my 580's ability to elevate past vertical and rotate 180 degrees in both directions. You also have a white reflector panel and a plastic diffuser for wider angles and softer light when bouncing. All of that makes for a quite versatile unit. I have yet to run into a camera-mounted-single-flash situation where I needed anything more than the 580EX II, a rubber band, and a 3x5 card.

Somewhere in my closet is a Stofen diffuser for a 580EX II, and a Lumiquest soft-box that also fits on the flash head. Pay the postage and you can have them. I'll never use them again.

Now that is good deal. I'd go for it but I'd just have to re-gift it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,688 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 13, 2014 11:59 |  #11

How about a diffuser that could be used for more... Lastolite TriGrip (external link)

While I haven't used that one, I do have and used the diffuser part of my 5 in 1 reflector. Fire speedlite through the diffuser. Large light source, soft light. You can also use them to diffuse harsh sunlight.

Ron
My Gear List

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 13, 2014 12:16 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

frozenframe wrote in post #17330119 (external link)
How about a diffuser that could be used for more... Lastolite TriGrip (external link)

While I haven't used that one, I do have and used the diffuser part of my 5 in 1 reflector. Fire speedlite through the diffuser. Large light source, soft light. You can also use them to diffuse harsh sunlight.

I could set up my light stands and some 30" reflector umbrellas, too. I thought we were going on about flash-mounted items. I could be mistaken, though.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2014 12:19 |  #13

The tri grip is nice but not quite practical for on camera work.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Alveric.

Dec 13, 2014 12:22 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

The StoFen is not a waste. It does have its uses. As digital paradise pointed out, its purpose is not what most people imagine/want it to be: soft, dreamy quality of light :rolleyes: —it's not a softbox!—; its real purpose is to turn a directional light source (the fresnel lens of a flashgun) into a bare bulb (360° spread). It does suck up some light: ~2/3 of a stop, which isn't a humongous a loss as its haters claim it is. For indoors, events and the like it's useful: flash head turned 45° and aimed backwards (yes, backwards) with the StoFen on provides very good illumination. Outdoors it's a different matter of course, but then again, most slowlites sux outdoors anyway.

To be honest, the manufacturers of these gadgets are quite a bit to blame for the misconceptions: I've seen their sites where they go on and on about how much softer the light is with these things. Yes they do soften the light a bit, but that's not their main function.

At 10-15 bucks a piece, these are hardly a waste of money. People spend more money on things that are completely superfluous and several times as expensive as a StoFen.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,688 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 13, 2014 12:29 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #17330152 (external link)
The tri grip is nice but not quite practical for on camera work.

Yes, that's correct, however the OP's question was to help choosing a diffuser. Just in the examples provided, did the OP indicate those on-flash tupperware styles.

So the trigrip, scrims, shoot through umbrellas, softboxes, are all diffusers.

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links

4,375 views & 2 likes for this thread
Help with choosing diffuser.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.