Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 23 Feb 2006 (Thursday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First wedding, need opinions on whether this can be a career....

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 23, 2006 12:22 |  #1

well, I went to my friend's wedding in mexico. they had hired a photographer but the asked me to take photos too, since they knew I was a photo nut. New to photography? No.. I was trained initially 14 years ago. New to weddings? uhh, yes. ever professional? NO!!!

anyhow, her sisters saw the pictures and now they want to book me to do THEIR weddings. they all liked them better than their pro's photos. I have to say that photography for a living sounds very enticing, but there is a certain skill level and 'EYE' that you need to do it well.

This is my very first wedding attempt. I need your opinion as to whether I'd be wasting my time, effort, and money pursuing this as a career or if I actually have a shot at it. And I know I have MUCH to learn.... please take a look and help me out. THANKS.

BTW, my friend requested photos with a softer touch to them... and she also has a thing for BW and sepia...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://yoonl.brinkster​.net/nd/gallery/Photo%​20Gallery/full/IMG_339​4.JPG

thanks for your help.. ;)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
supplier
76 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 23, 2006 12:31 |  #2

Excellent!

TSEE
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2006 12:53 |  #3

FWIW - I like them. #1 is my favorite probably, the B&W and soft focus works well with that picture IMO. I like the sunset, just not the pose. And the last one with the bride in the edge of the water is nice too.
I think anyone can become good at anything with enough practice. Keep it up, looks like you've done well to me. But I'm not a pro so take my words with a grain of salt. ;o)

-Sue (TSEE)
My gear list finally got too long to list under my sig.
"All of us have photographic memory, some of us just don't have film."
"I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything."

carl1645
97 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2006 12:59 as a reply to  @ TSEE's post |  #4

Really nice pictures, you've got an eye for it, my only suggestion at this time is don't use the same effect on every photo.

Other tha that keep it up.

Carl

5D w/grip
10D w/grip x 2
Ixus 50
Canon EF 28-135 ISUSM x2
Canon EF 70-200 ISUSM
Canon EFS 18-55
Sigma 28-200
Canon 580 flash
Canon 420 Flash
Extender 2x
Canon remote
Canon XL1-S video Camera x2
Canon i9950
Canon MV500i
Metz 45CL flash
Success is a constantly evolving journey, not merely a destination.

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 23, 2006 15:57 |  #5

Nice photos, but lose the soft filter/blur effect on most of them, it's easy to overuse it. It's tough to make a living as a wedding photographer, there's a lot of competition, but with a supplimentry job it can be great :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mizuno
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 23, 2006 15:59 as a reply to  @ carl1645's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

They look fantastic, but I agree that softening every picture is a bit much.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) | BLOG (external link) | PITBULL MANSION (external link)
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 23, 2006 17:10 |  #7

They look fantastic! Th poses are great.

kampphoto
792 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 23, 2006 18:59 |  #8

I'd have to agree with the soft filter comments... but otherwise great work!!! =)

Jacob Oldenkamp
Kampphotography
http://www.kampphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
Kamp Blog

http://www.kampblog.co​m (external link)

picturecrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 23, 2006 22:49 as a reply to  @ kampphoto's post |  #9

Yeah, I'm not much of a soft guy either (i usually shoot architecture), but she was pretty insistant on using it. I guess I can still tone it down though. I am glad that the response has been otherwise positive... ;) thanks, maybe I will take the jump and try it as a career, but start it out as a weekend thing....

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

BLINN
587 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 24, 2006 07:58 |  #10

I sure can be, and by the looks of it you can make a killing with photos like this.

MBCL Photography
Michael Blinn
Your Eye's the Limit:cool:
http://mbclphotography​.com (external link)

JeffJensen
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 24, 2006 09:24 |  #11

Nice pix. But to answer your question... Yes, if:
1. If you can consistantly produce images like this (obviously more than nine per wedding)
2. You LOVE weddings, because when you're the primary the pressure's on
3. You have people skills
There's more, but this is a start.
I've been shooting weddings for 17 years, wouldn't trade it for anything. Attitude gets you a long way.

PineCone
113 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 24, 2006 09:39 |  #12

go for it :)

www.martincpvaleriano.​multiply.com (external link), http://www.modelmayhem​.com/262399 (external link)

Nyangay? :)

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 24, 2006 10:51 |  #13

There's only one difference to do it as "the" photographer and being the guy with the camera on the side. You are not stressed when it's not your gig. So if you have the guts to know that *you* will be the one screwing up their wedding photos, you're their man! There's lots of stress, but it's a lot of fun too... so you won't know if this is your thing until you've gotten your feet wet. :D

As for your posted images... I like them, even if some are too soft... yes it's romantic, but you need a good mix, both "photoshopped" stuff as well as the real deal. On some images the soft looks works, on some not. So if I look past the over-use of the soft filter, I think you have some great images there and you do have the eye.

So... conclusion from the Swedish jury is: Go for it! :D

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

PIXI_666
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 24, 2006 20:05 |  #14

These are brilliant...go for it...why not? Look into business aspects (Im in the process of this!) and advertise a bit, you will find word of mouth ets around VERY quickly...so i doubt u will even need to advertise, your photos are rgeat so people will be booking you left right n centre if you go through the necessary business things...liability insurance, camera insurance, abn number etc. (I dunno if u have abn numbers there? Its a business number anyway im sure they are called something else in Canada!)
But you did a wicked job for a fist time wedding.....if i take photos liek that today at my 2nd wedding, ill be VERY VERY HAPPY!

Del

"Capturing, Creating & Preserving your memories"
Adelle Cousins Photography

www.adellecousins.com.​au (external link)
nfo@adellecousins.com.​au (external link)

bpuppy
293 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2006 10:53 |  #15

I would agree with Tim ... these shots are good enough to stand on their own without effects ... I like my shots straight up with a bit of a contrast and saturation tweak and that's it.

My Wedding Portfolio (external link) | My Photo Blog (external link) | My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
First wedding, need opinions on whether this can be a career....
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.