Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 15 Dec 2014 (Monday) 19:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony sensors and Canon

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 18, 2014 02:52 |  #16

vipergts831 wrote in post #17338868 (external link)
Agreed! That's why I never went nikon. Prefer canon lenses :)

But how do you cope with all those people complaining about how poor your images are? Or are you suggesting that they can't actually see any problems, possibly because there aren't any?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
peteg1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 18, 2014 05:39 as a reply to  @ post 17338786 |  #17

Canon doesn't go out of their way to let you know what sensor they are using if it's not Canon sensors.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,987 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 18, 2014 05:45 |  #18

hollis_f wrote in post #17339134 (external link)
But how do you cope with all those people complaining about how poor your images are? Or are you suggesting that they can't actually see any problems, possibly because there aren't any?

I think you should poll all those people and let me know the findings :)

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,110 posts
Gallery: 645 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Eddie.

Dec 18, 2014 05:52 |  #19

Theres a lot of talk on the forums about dynamic range and the like when it comes to canon sensors but personally I dont really notice any issues in that regard and the files my 5D3 produces are perfectly fine (for me).

What I do notice though is that the 36MP sensor in my A7R has amazing shadow recovery. This is ideal for me for landscapes where its common to have a large delta in exposure between the sky and the foreground if shooting sunsets or sunrises. Even with GND filters its often not enough to balance the light and I need to resort to raising shadows in post slightly. On my A7R this does not worry me one bit but doing the same thing on my 5D3 results in noisy shadows and sometimes with purple banding in the shadows. For this reason alone I really want a sony sensor in a canon body (or a canon sensor with similar capabilities) so that I can stop having two bodies and do everything with one body. Whether its 36MP, 46MP or 50MP I dont really care. 36MP is plenty for what I do

EDIT - or is what I have just described dynamic range?

α7R III | α9 II | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
16-35GM | 24GM | 35GM | 135GM | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Zeiss CY 35-70

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 18, 2014 06:17 |  #20

vipergts831 wrote in post #17339236 (external link)
I think you should poll all those people and let me know the findings :)

I have.

Out of the thousands of people who've looked at my images the number who have said - "Very good, what a shame you didn't use a Nikon" is zero.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

vipergts831
43,987 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 18, 2014 06:24 |  #21

hollis_f wrote in post #17339269 (external link)
I have.

Out of the thousands of people who've looked at my images the number who have said - "Very good, what a shame you didn't use a Nikon" is zero.

Excellent study on your behalf. As you are free to do with your money as you wish so am I. We all have preferences for our own subjective likes. For me it is Canon Lenses.

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,127 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2014 06:29 as a reply to  @ Eddie's post |  #22

Yeah, that extra latitude you get on the Sony is because of more dynamic range. ;) There is more clean recoverable details in the shadows with the Sony sensor.

If Canon builds their own 50MP sensor, it likely won't match the DR in a Sony sensor. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want it though. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony G: 12-24, 24-105, 200-600 | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,110 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 18, 2014 06:30 |  #23

David Arbogast wrote in post #17339289 (external link)
Yeah, that extra latitude you get on the Sony is because of more dynamic range. ;) There is more clean recoverable details in the shadows with the Sony sensor.

If Canon builds their own 50MP sensor, it likely won't match the DR in a Sony sensor. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want it though. :)

:oops: Thanks David. I always read the threads on dynamic range and never really understood what it was all about - at the same time as loving the extra dynamic range in my Sony! Thanks for clarifying.

vipergts831
43,987 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 18, 2014 06:30 |  #24

David Arbogast wrote in post #17339289 (external link)

Im an eternal hopeful that Canon will eventually match it...hope...hope...:-P

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,110 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 18, 2014 06:31 |  #25

vipergts831 wrote in post #17339293 (external link)
Im an eternal hopeful that Canon will eventually match it...hope...hope...:-P

eiher that or Nikon release a D810B with EF mount :-)

vipergts831
43,987 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 18, 2014 06:58 |  #26

xpfloyd wrote in post #17339296 (external link)

The stuff sweet dreams are made of :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 18, 2014 07:15 |  #27

xpfloyd wrote in post #17339241 (external link)
Theres a lot of talk on the forums about dynamic range and the like when it comes to canon sensors but personally I dont really notice any issues in that regard and the files my 5D3 produces are perfectly fine (for me).

What I do notice though is that the 36MP sensor in my A7R has amazing shadow recovery. This is ideal for me for landscapes where its common to have a large delta in exposure between the sky and the foreground if shooting sunsets or sunrises. Even with GND filters its often not enough to balance the light and I need to resort to raising shadows in post slightly. On my A7R this does not worry me one bit but doing the same thing on my 5D3 results in noisy shadows and sometimes with purple banding in the shadows. For this reason alone I really want a sony sensor in a canon body (or a canon sensor with similar capabilities) so that I can stop having two bodies and do everything with one body. Whether its 36MP, 46MP or 50MP I dont really care. 36MP is plenty for what I do

EDIT - or is what I have just described dynamic range?

That's dynamic range exactly.

Those who don't shoot landscapes and high-contrast subjects and don't have problems with Canon sensors will often say, 'expose properly' or 'expose to the right'. But, when shooting a landscape as you described, you'll often be exposing to the left and right at the same time, since the dynamic range is so great. Three extra stops of usable DR means the difference between a 3-stop GND and no filter, or a 6-stop GND and a 3-stop GND, and can make all the difference when shooting something that doesn't have a straight horizon.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 18, 2014 07:16 |  #28

xpfloyd wrote in post #17339296 (external link)

Or just a PC-E 24 and PC-E 17 that match the Canon TS-E lenses.

An updated Nikon 200-400 with inbuilt TC would be nice, too...

sploo
premature adulation
2,601 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 19, 2014 05:24 |  #29

xpfloyd wrote in post #17339291 (external link)
:oops: Thanks David. I always read the threads on dynamic range and never really understood what it was all about - at the same time as loving the extra dynamic range in my Sony! Thanks for clarifying.

Dynamic range is essentially the ratio of the largest to smallest intensity of reading (brightness/sound etc.) that a medium can reliably record.

If you're old enough to remember tape cassettes, then you'll probably recall how loud sections of music could be OK, but on quiet sections you could often hear a hissing sound - basically, noise.

Like any recording medium, there's a limit to how loud/bright a signal can be recorded, and there will also be a lower limit where the quietest/darkest elements are now lower than the noise in the system.

If you were to take a quiet portion of music from a tape and boosted its volume level, it would likely sound pretty bad, because the amount of noise would be significant in relation to the music (poor signal to noise ratio). That's exactly what you're experiencing when you boost the brightness level of shadows in an image from a sensor. Conversely, brighter pixels have a good signal to noise ratio, so the noise is effectively drowned out by the signal (just like loud sections of music on a tape).

The reason why you're getting great shadow recovery on the A7R is because the sensor can record a large ratio of intensities (with acceptable noise). If I understand correctly, a Canon sensor can probably do that too, but part of the electronics used to read the data off the sensor adds some noise, which then drowns out the darkest ("quietest") detail; thus meaning you can't boost the shadows without seeing problems. Worse, the noise isn't entirely random (it exhibits itself as a fixed pattern of bands); which means it's that much more noticeable and objectionable.

For shooters that can control their lighting (e.g. studio), large boosts to the shadow detail in post should be rare, so they'd probably wonder what all the fuss was about. For landscape shooters, it's a pain.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,110 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 19, 2014 05:29 |  #30

sploo wrote in post #17341025 (external link)
Dynamic range is essentially the ratio of the largest to smallest intensity of reading (brightness/sound etc.) that a medium can reliably record.

If you're old enough to remember tape cassettes, then you'll probably recall how loud sections of music could be OK, but on quiet sections you could often hear a hissing sound - basically, noise.

Like any recording medium, there's a limit to how loud/bright a signal can be recorded, and there will also be a lower limit where the quietest/darkest elements are now lower than the noise in the system.

If you were to take a quiet portion of music from a tape and boosted its volume level, it would likely sound pretty bad, because the amount of noise would be significant in relation to the music (poor signal to noise ratio). That's exactly what you're experiencing when you boost the brightness level of shadows in an image from a sensor. Conversely, brighter pixels have a good signal to noise ratio, so the noise is effectively drowned out by the signal (just like loud sections of music on a tape).

The reason why you're getting great shadow recovery on the A7R is because the sensor can record a large ratio of intensities (with acceptable noise). If I understand correctly, a Canon sensor can probably do that too, but part of the electronics used to read the data off the sensor adds some noise, which then drowns out the darkest ("quietest") detail; thus meaning you can't boost the shadows without seeing problems. Worse, the noise isn't entirely random (it exhibits itself as a fixed pattern of bands); which means it's that much more noticeable and objectionable.

For shooters that can control their lighting (e.g. studio), large boosts to the shadow detail in post should be rare, so they'd probably wonder what all the fuss was about. For landscape shooters, it's a pain.

Excellent info, thankyou (and I remember cassettes well :) )

sponsored links

10,768 views & 5 likes for this thread
Sony sensors and Canon
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.