Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any toughts on CrashPlan?

NemethR
866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 16, 2014 02:34 |  #1

Hi!

I have heared of a service called CrashPlan, where you can (for $6/month) safely backup basicly unlimited amount of data.
I currently have an internel and an externel HDD both 3TB that I use for storing my pictures.
(The internal is the backup copy of the external.)

So I decided to give CrashPlan a try, (30 days free) but would be interested to see what others think of it (do you guys use it, or is it not worth it?)

Thanks.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

sponsored links
flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2014 03:04 |  #2

I've been thinking of it as well as Smugmug's SmugVault service. I'm already with Smugmug but it's 9 cents per gigabyte which for me works out to $135 per month for the data I need backed up (1.5 terabytes). From my research, people seem to think that relying solely on a cloud solution isn't prudent and that a local backup to a different location is the best backup. Also the time it takes for the initial backup and if you ever had to restore is dependent on your internet speed which could take days unless you chose to use their Seeded Backup or Restore to Door options for a cost.

This being said, I'm thinking about trying it as well!

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 16, 2014 03:28 |  #3

flowrider wrote in post #17335424 (external link)
I've been thinking of it as well as Smugmug's SmugVault service. I'm already with Smugmug but it's 9 cents per gigabyte which for me works out to $135 per month for the data I need backed up (1.5 terabytes). From my research, people seem to think that relying solely on a cloud solution isn't prudent and that a local backup to a different location is the best backup. Also the time it takes for the initial backup and if you ever had to restore is dependent on your internet speed which could take days unless you chose to use their Seeded Backup or Restore to Door options for a cost.

This being said, I'm thinking about trying it as well!

Yepp, it seems it will take around 200 days to backup my pictures, on the other hand, if anything happens to my PC at home, it is good to know, that a backup is in the cloud.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 16, 2014 23:33 |  #4

I've been using CrashPlan personally for a few years and have installed it for dozens of others. Its pretty awesome. I love the deep version history and flexibility of the software.

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 17, 2014 06:16 |  #5

mike_d wrote in post #17337049 (external link)
I've been using CrashPlan personally for a few years and have installed it for dozens of others. Its pretty awesome. I love the deep version history and flexibility of the software.

Thanks Mike.

Didi you ever needed to actually use the backup files?! (Restore feature)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 17, 2014 10:39 |  #6

NemethR wrote in post #17337305 (external link)
Thanks Mike.

Didi you ever needed to actually use the backup files?! (Restore feature)

I've never had to do a full restore, but I have restored individual files many times. It works great.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 17, 2014 10:46 |  #7

After realizing how long it'll take to do an online backup I gave up on it. I'll look at it again but if I do, it'll be with a seeded backup. For now I'm going to try and setup Crashplan to do an offsite backup to my work computer that way I can seed the drive first. I'll lose the versioning but it'll be quicker and won't take a year for my initial backup.

~Steve~

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 17, 2014 10:48 |  #8

flowrider wrote in post #17337705 (external link)
After realizing how long it'll take to do an online backup I gave up on it. I'll look at it again but if I do, it'll be with a seeded backup. For now I'm going to try and setup Crashplan to do an offsite backup to my work computer that way I can seed the drive first. I'll lose the versioning but it'll be quicker and won't take a year for my initial backup.

How much data do you have and what's your Internet speed?

You might consider temporarily upgrading to a faster data plan to speed initial upload.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 17, 2014 11:50 |  #9

I have

mike_d wrote in post #17337712 (external link)
How much data do you have and what's your Internet speed?

You might consider temporarily upgrading to a faster data plan to speed initial upload.

1.7 terabytes to upload and a 5mbs upstream. Not the fastest but even at that fastest 20mbps upload speed it would take quite a while.

~Steve~

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 17, 2014 12:08 |  #10

flowrider wrote in post #17337705 (external link)

Not sure if you're referring to seeding to an external drive and then shipping it to Crashplan but if you weren't referring to that, just thought you'd like to know it's an option.

http://support.code42.​com …test/Backup/See​ded_Backup (external link)

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 17, 2014 12:16 |  #11

DGStinner wrote in post #17337870 (external link)
Not sure if you're referring to seeding to an external drive and then shipping it to Crashplan but if you weren't referring to that, just thought you'd like to know it's an option.

http://support.code42.​com …test/Backup/See​ded_Backup (external link)

Thanks. I did know that as well and the cost is not really prohibitive but what I'm going to try first is seeding one of my drives at home on an external then taking it to work and using it as offsite remote storage.

~Steve~

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 17, 2014 12:33 |  #12

I've been using them for quite a while, I did use the drive they send you for initial seeding, that was the main reason for me to go with them. I did not want to wait months for my files to be backed up. Was quick and easy and well worth the money IMO. I've not had to restore anything, but occasionally check it's all there and seems to be.

Other option you might consider is Amazon prime, it now offers unlimited online photo storage. No way to send a seeder disk though, as far as I know. But if you have prime, it's included in the price.

I also backup locally just to be sure. I doubt crashplan will suddenly shut down, but who knows. Amazon is probably a bit safer there, I doubt they'll go away anytime soon.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 17, 2014 15:16 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #13

As they are offering services to Companies, I do believe they will be there for like forever. :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 17, 2014 21:27 |  #14

Crashplan works well for me - much better than Mozy which doesn't back up files sometimes. I haven't had to restore.

Key to online backups is choosing what to backup. I don't back up my large raw images, they go onto hard drives which I store at friends houses. I do back up some jpeg conversions (my best images), financial information, etc.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 19, 2014 00:06 |  #15

tim wrote in post #17338753 (external link)
Crashplan works well for me - much better than Mozy which doesn't back up files sometimes. I haven't had to restore.

Key to online backups is choosing what to backup. I don't back up my large raw images, they go onto hard drives which I store at friends houses. I do back up some jpeg conversions (my best images), financial information, etc.

Why not use Dropbox then? I don't imagine that rakes up too much space.

~Steve~

sponsored links

12,535 views & 7 likes for this thread
Any toughts on CrashPlan?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.