Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dmk3 vs 1dx

rwong2k
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 16, 2014 16:18 |  #1

I'm just doing some research about children sports (I have a 8 month newborn but planning for the future). I currently own a 5dmk3 and usually i do portrait work, but with my new born son. I rarely rapid fire and I've got the timing right for capturing moments with my son. But, I've done some reading and thinking and tried the rapid fire mode. Seems pretty useful but,

I've got a great set of lens already, but if you had the extra money sitting around, would it be worth it to upgrade to a 1dx series (or whatever comes out by next year) for children sports, or would the 6fps of a 5dmk3 be sufficient? I'm not too sure, but I'm guessing there's a lock and track mode on the 1dx series? ( not too sure if my 5d has that also)

what's your take for and against this?

thanks in advance!

Ray

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

sponsored links
EchoShotz
310 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by EchoShotz.

Dec 16, 2014 16:29 |  #2

Being a sports photographer I value the 10/12fps a lot as its the difference between "the shot" and one that's "good enough." But I'm sure the 5Diii would do just fine for kids sports as those pictures are more for memories and not for competitive submission to the paper.

Truly in my opinion if you really want the 10fps for children's sports, the 1Div is still a great camera. I mean even my 1Diii is great, but I never shoot higher ISOs you'd probably encounter at children's sport facilities.

So to wrap that up, my vote is for keeping the 5Diii and putting the extra cash elsewhere, or pick up a nice condition 1Div

5D Mark III, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, YN560 (2x)
-Kenny

rwong2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 16, 2014 21:59 |  #3

great! thx echoshotz! really appreciate your comments!

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,408 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 17, 2014 08:54 |  #4

I have both a 5D3 and 1D4, I like the 1D a little more for sports, but the difference is small. If I were to have just one camera it would be the 5D3 because the 1D bodies are too big for vacation or just everyday shooting.

By the time your baby is playing sports at a level where the difference between these bodies might matter at all, you will have a 10 year old camera that is three generation old.

And your kid might be a klutz that hates sports.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,785 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 18, 2014 02:36 |  #5

You'll have greater impact in imagery buying different lenses.

I'd pickup a new 100-400Lmk2 and other lenses before buying a flagship 1dx.

Rent from Beau photo....at least you can discount the rental cost and use that to buy gear from them.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,202 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Methodical.

Dec 18, 2014 13:42 |  #6

I'd second the opinions on getting better glass, which will still be good for many many years to come. The Super tele v1 (introduced in 1999) are still in play by many, however, I would wager that the number of those camera bodies introduced back in 1999 along with the Super teles are not being used by many, some yes, but not many as the lenses. I don't know what glass you have, but spend the money there and when the kid is ready for sports, then look at a newer camera body.

Also, the 5D3 will be plenty good for kids; they are not that fast on the field that you won't capture the moment.

Just One Man's Opinion...Al

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,859 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Dec 18, 2014 14:44 |  #7

5D3 is well suited for your application. I do not need more FPS than the 5D3 offers to shoot fast action.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

rwong2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 20, 2014 00:03 |  #8

great responses!
thanks for the info!

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,698 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2014 08:16 |  #9

I currently have the 5DM3, and love it, but, I am doing more sports shots. When the sports shots equal the portrait shots, I plan on purchasing the 1Dx (x).

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

.bulldog
32 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 20, 2014 23:15 |  #10

Just wanted to echo & reemphasize what was said above. Invest into glass. The depreciation is even minimal, compared to camera bodies.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,003 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 21, 2014 07:58 |  #11

The 5D3 and 7D2 are currently my top choices for all around best cameras do all good. 5D3 being the better low light capable camera.

I have a 5D3 and 4 kids (13,7,5,1.5) and believe me the 5D3 has become the ultimate camera body for my needs. The only thing that could trump it for me would be the 1Dx but at that price I'd rather have the 5D3/7D2 combo...

However for a single camera body shooter the 5D3 is a a great performer. I see sooooooo many professional sport shooters using a 5D3 it's not even funny.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,785 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by AlanU.

Dec 21, 2014 10:16 |  #12

Depending on your needs select whatever tool that will deliver. I had no issues documenting fast drag cars down mission Raceway with my 5d mark 2. Even documenting my nieces soccer games it was good enough for casual shooting.

Due to the distance and depth of field F 2.8 is plenty deep to document a lot of fast moving subjects except birds in flight.

5d3 should have been the 5d2 when it was first introduced.

in this situation glass before body.

even with my three girls I can document virtually everything with my 5d mark 2.

Tools are specific to application so choose your tools wisely

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

fish_shooter
96 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by fish_shooter.

Dec 21, 2014 10:57 |  #13

rwong2k wrote in post #17336445 (external link)
but planning for the future).
Ray

The speed at which digital technology advances makes it impossible to plan very far into the future. Look at what the previous generation 1D bodies sell for today on the secondhand market compared to their original cost. If you can actually take advantage of 1Dx features in 2015 (i.e., in the coming year) as well justify the cost and physical size then go for it. For example, by the time your kids are doing the type of sports justifying 12 fps there will be something much better in the marketplace that will use technologies that do exist today. It makes more sense to satisfy immediate needs rather than long term.

I agree with others that the 5D3 makes a lot more sense for what you are doing. It only makes sense to change to something else if the 5D3 has failed you. Have you failed to get the picture because you were using the 5D3? It is also possible to change from the 5D3 to something else and continue to get the same failures. You have to make sure the failures you are getting are due to a limitation of the 5D3 camera.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/ (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,202 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 21, 2014 21:23 |  #14

The 5D3 just produces some sweet images. I've used mine for HS football with the 500 f4 and man did it handle the job nicely.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

rwong2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 21, 2014 22:25 |  #15

.bulldog wrote in post #17343865 (external link)
Just wanted to echo & reemphasize what was said above. Invest into glass. The depreciation is even minimal, compared to camera bodies.

thanks for the info, I guess to change the topic up a little bit is, what other glass would be needed? I have a 70-200/2.8 with a 1.4 and 2x teleconverter already, I'm just guessing that's enough, but then again, I've never shot kids sports before, is the 200mm going to be enough reach for say hockey,baseball, tennis, swimming, eg. those type of sports?

or will I be wanting something in the 400mm+ range?

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens

sponsored links

6,597 views & 8 likes for this thread
5dmk3 vs 1dx
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.