Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dmk3 vs 1dx

brad21
533 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 21, 2014 22:47 as a reply to  @ post 17345263 |  #16

If you can move around the field(s) the 70-200 will be sufficient in most cases. In good light you can use the 1.4x...

This is kind of the beauty of the crop sensor of the 7D2. With the 1.6 crop you'll get more reach, 320mm equivalent at 200mm. Food for thought.

EOS 7D2, EOS 1DMkIII (work equip.)/85mm 1.8, 300 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 1.4x, Canon G15, www.brad21photo.com (external link)

sponsored links
cosmen
90 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2014 23:13 |  #17

The 7D II would definitely give you both range because of the 1.6X crop factor and speed at 10fps with excellent results. However the resolution of the full frame 5D III is second to none IMO and when loaded with the new 100-400mm L II is pure magic. Most people would attest to the long term benefit of investing in glass and as you already have the 5D III you may want to consider this option.

My Gear

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,408 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 22, 2014 06:51 as a reply to  @ post 17345263 |  #18

Well, I guess 200mm is plenty for the kinds of sports your 8 month old is likely to be playing.  :p

I guess it would be hard to make too much of a specific recommendation, since your kid's preferences may run to violin or something, but in general on a FF body you will be wanting longer than 200mm for just about any field sports. I've used a 100-400 for years which has worked well.

Near term I'm going to give the Sigma 120-300/2.8 a try, looking to use the 300/2.8 for indoor sports (supplementing my 70-200/2.8) and then shoot it with a 1.4X TC for field sports (where the lens will be a 168-420/4. But no comments on this approach yet as I don't have the lens yet.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,202 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2014 13:23 |  #19

As far as swimming goes, the 70-200 should do and maybe even for hockey. For baseball and hockey, I'd go no less than 300mm, but 400 would be ideal.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

rwong2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 22, 2014 17:08 |  #20

these are very great comments,
since I have no idea what I'm getting into and it's based on the sports that me and my wife play and friend's/photographers who've taken our photos playing these sports, just as a general guideline :)

Although you're right, he's only 8 months now, so it'll be a while before he's doing any sports and even at 3 years old, I'm pretty sure my 5dmk3 is sufficient.

I just wanted to hear the flip side of a 1dx or 1dx2 whenever that comes out,

the stuff i shoot is normally stationary and doens't require any high fps

thx!

Ray

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

poldenburg
33 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 04, 2015 18:28 |  #21

i have a 5D3 and a 7D; I think the 5D3 is better in low light setting (basketball games). I shoot with a 70-200 ISII; I have been very happy with my results.
As mentioned earlier; you have a several years before you need to think about sports pictures for your own little one! I would also invest in good glass:-)

sponsored links

6,589 views & 8 likes for this thread
5dmk3 vs 1dx
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.