Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions about Fuji X100, X-Pro 1, X-T1

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 25, 2014 18:40 |  #31

The leaf shutter can be a huge deal, sync to strobes at higher shutter speed and (near) silent operation. The x100T really completes that with the electronic shutter and the 3 stops of EC. Coming from a DSLR looking at the Fuji line a year ago, the XT-1 was about the size of a SL1 or not much smaller than a 6D without the grip. The X100 and X-E series are truly pocket-able cameras with the right lenses, which makes them easy to truly never be without a camera. The X-E was a huge leap for me to make, I'd pretty much only used DSLRs or film SLRs except for about 150 of the roughly 800k or so images I've made in the decade prior, those other 150 were pixelated laggy EVFs that basically ended up useless as a gauge of the image.

I certainly saw the appeal and stressed over the X-Pro and X100 for that reason, there was a part of me that felt hardwired to need an optical view. Then there was the fact that I'd had the convenience of having at least 2 lenses with me for the last decade, and I felt like I needed to change lenses at will to make good images. The X-Pro sits a little tall and I wasn't confident of it fitting into a pocket. I ended up going with the X-E2 and a 35/1.4 with the intention of buying more lenses soon after. 11 months later and I'm still with the 35 as my sole lens (hey no sensor dust right?), and occasionally wonder if the x100 may have been a better fit, though the 50mm equiv. works a little better for me than the 35mm equiv. I could certainly see the X100T as an alternative to the 23 when the extra shutter options and pocket ability are factored in.

I shoot a ton of sports, almost none of it is with the Fuji, and it's the main reason I keep my Canon. That said, one of my best NCAA basketball photos of the year, last march with the X-E2, and I tend to bring it to games and use it for lots of around the event fan and pageantry type action. I also know a photographer that showed up to a football game realizing that the bag was a camera light, having forgotten his 7D he had to make due with an X100 and the teleconverter, he had to work hard to get the shot but he had several keepers at key moments in the game, and was able to get the shot he needed. The X-E2 with the 50 has overhauled my people photography, I'm not sure if it's magic within the camera or that the form factor has made the camera part somewhat invisible to my subjects, or that I'm forced to work instead of zoom or change lenses. The one lens thing eliminates a decision tree and forces a different type of response that now a year into it makes the X100 more appealing, even though coming right off my DSLR only experience a year ago, I would have thought was nuts.

I've played with the X-T1, I really do like it and may even get one in the future. I wish I had an ISO dial on the X-E2. But the size needed to accomplish some of the desired tasks of the camera, makes it so I consider it to be a small SLR not a tiny mirrorless I can through in the pocket of my jacket or cargo pants. And something that big wasn't what attracted me to picking up a second system, but it might make life easier for someone looking to switch purely to a Fuji system.

The X series is all the same sensor, there are many choices and there's a lot of nuance to making those choices. Don't rush it take your time and make careful selection, the cameras really are made to be chosen based on the features for the mission.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 26, 2014 12:13 |  #32

bent toe wrote in post #17350580 (external link)
Please do to get an end to this weird side discussion that occurred from nowhere.

as weird as it might be, its still valid. Especially since the x100 series has no other lens option, aside from the converters. And these rely on the standard lenses performance as a baseline for their performance. if someone is weighing the merits of getting an x100/s/t vs say the x-pro1, the sharpness issue is most likely a heavy contender in that decision.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 27, 2014 06:10 |  #33

gnome chompski wrote in post #17351478 (external link)
as weird as it might be, its still valid. Especially since the x100 series has no other lens option, aside from the converters. And these rely on the standard lenses performance as a baseline for their performance. if someone is weighing the merits of getting an x100/s/t vs say the x-pro1, the sharpness issue is most likely a heavy contender in that decision.

An advanced compact camera vs mirrorless and its 1.4 prime is a no brainer.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Questions about Fuji X100, X-Pro 1, X-T1
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.