Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 20 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Induro or Feisol Tripod? - Markins Q10 or Acratech GPS?

fishbaja
104 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 20, 2014 22:37 |  #1

I am going to upgrade my old aluminum Slik tripod with a Manfrotto ball head. The new tripod will be carbon fiber and I've decided to switch to a different ball head with the Arca-Swiss style plate. I am shooting a 6D with the largest (currently) lens a 70-200 F4, mostly landscape photography. I am changing to Arca-Swiss so I can add an L plate (Sunway Foto) and nodal slide (Hejnar Photo) to the camera bag. If you can convince me that Kirk or RRS L plates are worth the extra money, I'll buy them instead.

I put my hands on a Induro CT-213 today, it is the same height as my current tripod, only lighter, smoother and more stable. It looks like the only accessory I would need to buy is the short column, to get closer to the ground. I wanted to compare it to the Feisol CT3342, but I haven't been able to put my hands on one yet. The Feisol doesn't come with spikes and I have heard the bags are too small...does anyone know if the bag with the Induro will hold the legs with a ball head attached? The prices are close to the same, add tripod bag and spikes versus adding short column. I played with a Gitzo GT2532 today too, but I'm not sure it is worth the extra money, the display model was even missing the plastic stop so one of the legs fell out.

I also played with the Acratech GPS ball head, I like the option of turning it into a leveling base for panoramas. However, if I get the Feisol tripod I'm not sure the legs will reverse completely around the head. For that reason I am thinking about the Markins Q10 (I've heard good things), but I like the concept of Acratechs open design.

Either way, I think any of the options would be a good choice and better equipment than I'm using now. So many decisions...help me out, give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

My Website | (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by tvphotog.

Dec 21, 2014 07:33 |  #2

I've been using a Feisol 3441 for years with excellent results and good service. Don't know about Induro. That Feisol is a travel tripod and I use a Markins Q3t. The M10 (now the Q10) will not allow you to invert the legs. My feeling is that the Acratech is a bit of a gimmick. I don't remove the ballhead ever, as it is a pain and certainly never in the field to invert it, etc. I use the Qi20 which I think is the best ballhead on the market. To do panos, I use a pano tripod base and an RRS nodal bar.

All the Markins heads have larger balls than any other maker of an equivalent head. The larger the ball, the more stability against drooping and the smoother the movement.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

fishbaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2014 12:01 |  #3

tvphotog wrote in post #17344141 (external link)
I've been using a Feisol 3441 for years with excellent results and good service. Don't know about Induro. That Feisol is a travel tripod and I use a Markins Q3t. The M10 (now the Q10) will not allow you to invert the legs. My feeling is that the Acratech is a bit of a gimmick. I don't remove the ballhead ever, as it is a pain and certainly never in the field to invert it, etc. I use the Qi20 which I think is the best ballhead on the market. To do panos, I use a pano tripod base and an RRS nodal bar.

All the Markins heads have larger balls than any other maker of an equivalent head. The larger the ball, the more stability against drooping and the smoother the movement.

Thanks for the input, more to consider. I can see what you mean about changing the ballhead into a pano in the dark or dropping a part in the wet grass/stream/ocean/roc​ks.

Would you consider the Qi20 "too large" for your Feisol 3441, other than the legs not folding over it?

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2014 17:53 |  #4

Two friends of mine have the Feisol 3342 and 3442 and both are very good. No they are not quite in Gitzo territory but, for the price, they are excellent.
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of Induro tripods - though I hear good things about them.
My suggestion would be to look around for a secondhand 2 series Gitzo and, if you can't find one, then have a good long look at the Feisols, they are really good for the price.
As to ball heads, if you want something small yet light and will fold up inside the Feisol legs than have a look at the Triopo RS3. You will need to add an Arca style clamp which will bring the price up to about 40GBP ($64) and weigh less than 300 grams. The lockup on this head is simply the best that I have (yet) come across - it holds 600/800mm Canon lenses with ease! It is not everyone's cup of tea as the locking mechanism is a single lever that locks everything - there is no separate panning/friction lock or adjustment. I like this system as it is very fast - but it doesn't suit everybody.
This is quite simply the best ball head I have yet tried including some mediocre (and expensive) Swiss products that failed to match up.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2014 20:09 |  #5

fishbaja wrote in post #17343824 (external link)
I put my hands on a Induro CT-213 today, it is the same height as my current tripod, only lighter, smoother and more stable. It looks like the only accessory I would need to buy is the short column, to get closer to the ground.

The most stable tripod you can get is one without a center column. Feisol make several of them and sell the center column separately so the design is similar in concept to the Gitzo systematics. I believe that at least one of the Feisol systematics can be used for travel as the legs fold back over the base.

Induro is an upscale version of a Benro tripod and they share some parts. WRT your question about the bags if Induro is anything like its parent company the tripod + ballhead will not fit into the bag.

I used to use Markins ballheads but now I have three Acratechs, they are weird looking but extremely functional. Just a great ballhead to have in extreme environments as if you get sand or water or dirt into them all you have to do is rinse them out under a faucet. I really like the leveling ability, I have a travel tripod with a short center column and an Acratech GP Ultimate head and it's just great to have the leveling function without carrying a hefty leveling base around.

~Peter

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 21, 2014 22:38 |  #6

fishbaja wrote in post #17344520 (external link)
Thanks for the input, more to consider. I can see what you mean about changing the ballhead into a pano in the dark or dropping a part in the wet grass/stream/ocean/roc​ks.

Would you consider the Qi20 "too large" for your Feisol 3441, other than the legs not folding over it?

I have the Qi20 on a series 3 Gitzo, and use it for my 100-400L, and it will handle up to about a 600mm lens. I don't plan to go above that. For a lighter tripod, I'd stay with the Qi10. Peter_n's comments on the Acratech's are accurate in terms of their shrugging off dirt and sand, but there are simple ways to protect any other head at the beach or any other place. The Acratechs are something to consider.

If you don't want to get a Gitzo, the Feisol line is what I'd consider.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Daphatty
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 22, 2014 01:33 |  #7

I own an Induro AT-313, which is the aluminum, slightly larger version of the tripod you are interested in. I also have an Induro Ballhead which fits perfectly inside the tripod bag while attached to the tripod.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 22, 2014 07:13 |  #8

^ Good to hear! :-)

~Peter

fishbaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 22, 2014 07:50 |  #9

Thanks for the feedback. I was/am leaning toward the Feisol, because of no center column, but I was surprised at how sturdy the center column felt on the Induro.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 22, 2014 08:02 |  #10

fishbaja wrote in post #17345674 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback. I was/am leaning toward the Feisol, because of no center column, but I was surprised at how sturdy the center column felt on the Induro.

Not a matter of sturdy, it's about vibration. When you extend the center column, you just create a monopod on top of a tripod. If you're planning on keeping the center column down all the time, that's OK for a travel tripod. If not, I would get a columnless tripod with a height extended at which you'll use it.

Jay

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 23, 2014 06:53 |  #11

tvphotog wrote in post #17345683 (external link)
When you extend the center column, you just create a monopod on top of a tripod.

I agree with this. My travel tripod is a typical foldback design with a center column a wee bit shorter than the top leg section. After a year or so I permanently replaced it with a short center column and that cut out the bad habits.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

fishbaja
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 23, 2014 08:46 |  #12

Ok, lots of votes for Feisol, with no center column and a wider base plate. I was trying to decide between the CT-3342 and the CT-3372. The CT-3372 weighs less than my current leg set, so it will save a little weight in the pack. Also I guess the money spent on a larger (sturdier?) tripod, when amortized over a number of years isn't much difference in dollars per year. So...CT-3372 it is.

Ballheads; I think the Acratech GPS has a better lever clamping plate than the Markins, but I could get an RRS lever clamp for the Markins. I like the open design of the Acratech, but I really haven't had issues with the Manfrotto ball due to debris. I have also looked at some less expensive ballheads, like Sirui and Photo Clam, but I don't want to "cheapskate" myself by buying a "cheaper" ballhead that I won't enjoy. The more I look at reviews the closer I am to my head exploding ;-)a

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by tvphotog.

Dec 23, 2014 08:54 |  #13

fishbaja wrote in post #17347335 (external link)
I have also looked at some less expensive ballheads, like Sirui and Photo Clam, but I don't want to "cheapskate" myself by buying a "cheaper" ballhead that I won't enjoy.

Look at the ball diameters on these less expensive heads. They're less than on the comparable Markins and I suspect the Acra's too. The larger the head, the more stable and smooth is the ball. That's really the reason to go with the better heads.

Jay

Daphatty
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 23, 2014 16:18 |  #14

peter_n wrote in post #17347214 (external link)
I agree with this. My travel tripod is a typical foldback design with a center column a wee bit shorter than the top leg section. After a year or so I permanently replaced it with a short center column and that cut out the bad habits.

For the record, this option is also available for the Induro tripods but it requires a separate purchase. I bought the shorter column as well.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

sawsedge
763 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by sawsedge.

Dec 23, 2014 19:34 |  #15

fishbaja wrote in post #17347335 (external link)
Ballheads; I think the Acratech GPS has a better lever clamping plate than the Markins, but I could get an RRS lever clamp for the Markins.

I am not sure if you can use the RRS clamp... I think the newer Markins heads (the 'i' series) have a square boss. You'd have to make sure you get one with a 3/8"-16 post. For travel, I would opt for the Acratech myself. A friend has one and it is quite nice.

As far as a centerpost goes, while it is true that you will eventually have a monopod effect, my experience says a couple inches isn't likely to hurt, at least in a well-made tripod. I have a shortened centerpost on my Gitzo. I use a couple of inches of travel on it for closeups as needed, and haven't seen any detrimental effect. In fact, I tried a casual closeup comparison between having it down vs up, moving up in one inch increments (up to the 5" I kept) and can't see any difference in quality. Some day I'll get around to doing a more comprehensive test, but in general I have no worries. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1324360

That said, if you are only going to do landscapes, or will go to ground level often, then I'd get a model without a centerpost.

- John

sponsored links

7,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
Induro or Feisol Tripod? - Markins Q10 or Acratech GPS?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.