Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 24 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 11:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website Service Advice

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by taygull.

Dec 24, 2014 11:31 |  #1

I know this get's asked a lot, and I've not been on here much in the last few years.

Just so you know a little about me...

I'm a full-time pro with a brick and mortar studio. I've shot editorial, portrait and commercial photography for 10+ years with over 90 covers and thousands of published images. My challenge is my website has always been geared more towards my portrait work and less towards editorial and commercial. I've used Photobiz for 6 or 7 years and I like that it is easy to use. I'm at a cross-roads where I need to add a splash page and have separate entry points for portrait and commercial as well as a workshop section with Photobiz or start over. The #1 reason I don't like Photobiz is they still use flash for the "client viewing" section of their offering...this sucks for clients.

Here are some key things that I need, first being I am not going to build my own or pay for a custom site. I'll fight through Photobiz. I'm paying $30 per month and it will go to $50 when I add my commercial site with them.

1. Ease of use - I must be able to make changes quickly and on my own. Add galleries, edit pages, add images to portfolio pages in order to give a fresh look.
2. Must be compatible with smartphones and tablets
3. Cost - I'm fine with $30-$50 per month. I'm not interested in a large start up fee
4. I like full screen or large images
5. Would like to have my blog have a presence, it sucks now and I need to be updating it.
6. I don't need to sell anything online now...maybe in the future.
7. It would be nice if people could register for workshops and pay
8. Most important I'll need a splash page with separate direct links when doing my newsletter to direct people to either my portrait site or commercial site.

That's about it. I'd be curious of thoughts from others.

Here is my current site.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)

Thanks

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

grism13
188 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 18, 2015 16:11 |  #2

Have you looked into zenfolio? The basic package starts at $30 per year, I believe. You can do more by upgrading. I think you would be able to do what you're looking for with one of their packages. I use it. It's relatively easy to use, compatible with smartphones, you can use full screen images and I think you can have a blog. You can sell images at one of the higher paid packages. I think you could definitely have a splash page. The only think, I'm not sure of is the ability to have workshops and pay for it.

6D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 100mm Macro f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Biologist by trade
flickr (external link)
http://www.grismphotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

820 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website Service Advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.