Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 27 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Grandaughter Christmas Eve C&C

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 27, 2014 20:01 |  #1

Quick and unplanned. She is a tough one to nail down, always moving. I deliberately didn't sharpen the photo...............

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8595/16122217001_36ffe8af0c_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qyEz​qD  (external link) Mary 12-24-2014 (external link) on Flickr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,527 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by Nogo.

Dec 27, 2014 21:04 |  #2

Does she move around so much when sitting around the Christmas tree that you have to use a shutter speed of 1/800 with a 50mm f1.4?

Shooting it with a 6d there probably isn't that much loss shooting at an ISO of 6400 but as an "arm chair quarterback" looking back, it would have been better to pick a lower SS to be able to shoot at a lower ISO.

Now having stated the obvious, this photo needs some time spend on it with Lightroom or a Photoshop type program. Keep the face very warm but try to get the white balance a little closer to normal looking. Probably just lightening her face with the adjustment brush would make it look more natural.

Also I would somewhat lessen all the spots on her forehead, nose, and chin with the spot remover and the adjustment brush. This would be much easier done with Photoshop than Lightroom if you have that option.

Philip

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 27, 2014 21:21 |  #3

Nogo wrote in post #17353440 (external link)
Does she move around so much when sitting around the Christmas tree that you have to use a shutter speed of 1/800 with a 50mm f1.4?

Shooting it with a 6d there probably isn't that much loss shooting at an ISO of 6400 but as an "arm chair quarterback" looking back, it would have been better to pick a lower SS to be able to shoot at a lower ISO.

Now having stated the obvious, this photo needs some time spend on it with Lightroom or a Photoshop type program. Keep the face very warm but try to get the white balance a little closer to normal looking. Probably just lightening her face with the adjustment brush would make it look more natural.

Also I would somewhat lessen all the spots on her forehead, nose, and chin with the spot remover and the adjustment brush. This would be much easier done with Photoshop than Lightroom if you have that option.

I didn't have time to change my settings, She ran to the couch and I said HEY!, She stopped and looked up. I have LR 5.7, still learning it, be nice it had a manual, so all I have is youtube...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 28, 2014 00:25 |  #4

OK, how does this look?...............

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7463/16099916506_1f33351fb1_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qwGh​gm  (external link) Mary 12-24-2014_a (external link) on Flickr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

quantumcpa
50 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 28, 2014 12:14 |  #5

Nice capture and I like the way you processed it, definitely looks better than the original, good work

Canon 30D | Canon 70-200 f/4 L | Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Kit Lense | Old Nikkor-H 50 f/2 |Canon 50mm f 1.8 | Cheap Chinese external flash |Cheap extension tubes

dhd4690
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 28, 2014 15:11 as a reply to  @ quantumcpa's post |  #6

Processed much better...the background colors really compose the picture well.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 28, 2014 16:29 |  #7

quantumcpa wrote in post #17354242 (external link)
Nice capture and I like the way you processed it, definitely looks better than the original, good work

Thanks, After watching some youtube videos, I learned how to use some of the tools. Going to have to order a Grey Card...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 28, 2014 16:32 |  #8

dhd4690 wrote in post #17354514 (external link)
Processed much better...the background colors really compose the picture well.

Thanks, I don't think the Image would have come out as good if I was using my 60D in this low light and no flash...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links

1,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Grandaughter Christmas Eve C&C
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.