Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 17:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light stand?

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2014 17:52 |  #1

I have an Impact stand, 10 ft I think. I also have a 32" Impact umbrella. The stand toples over outside every time! Even when there is no wind. Now the umbrella is all bent. I want to get a 60" umbrella. Which stand will be strong enough to hold it?

sponsored links
kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 30, 2014 23:06 |  #2

Modifiers are like sails with any amount of wind. Were you weighing your stand down (i.e. sandbags on the legs)?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 31, 2014 06:07 |  #3

Even without considering the basic laws of levers established well over 2000 years ago, I'm wondering quite why you would even expect your lightstand to remain upright when it's inherently destabilised by the offset of the umbrella? As Kaitlyn mentions, use a sandbag or two - but place them for maximum effectiveness. Mechanical advantage (or disadvantage, to be pedantic) requires that the sandbag(s) be considerably heavier than you would perhaps anticipate because of their necessary placement so close to the centre of gravity.

An alternative would be to use guy-ropes where practicable.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 31, 2014 06:26 |  #4

Its not the stand strength. At worst it might be the width of the base, but it's the wind tipping your umbrella and stand. Sandbags help as does using an umbrella softboxes that catches less wind. These have the added benefit of being cheap enough that you don't mind dinging them up occasionally. http://www.amazon.com …keywords=umbrel​la+softbox (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2015 09:59 |  #5

Honestly, I was watching some videos on off camera lighting. I wanted to try a technique just shown in the video so I paused the video and went outside quick. In the video they did not use sandbags. In the back of my mind I thought about that, but didn't have a sandbag.

What kind of sandbag can be used on the stands? Do you guys make your own or buy them?

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 01, 2015 10:03 |  #6

jeljohns wrote in post #17360383 (external link)
Honestly, I was watching some videos on off camera lighting. I wanted to try a technique just shown in the video so I paused the video and went outside quick. In the video they did not use sandbags. In the back of my mind I thought about that, but didn't have a sandbag.

What kind of sandbag can be used on the stands? Do you guys make your own or buy them?

http://smile.amazon.co​m …DUTY-SADDLE/dp/B00551636O (external link)

Fill them with pea gravel from the local home improvement store, not sand.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2015 10:06 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #7

I use weights rather tha sand bags. I have a collection of ankle weights, plate steel weights from a weight bench, and occasionally use a gallon milk jug gilled with water depending on if I having to carry it far and water is available nearby.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 01, 2015 13:24 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

That stand is poor quality to begin with. I'm willing to bet that it's quite light, innit? If so, it has poor structural strength. Even with sandbags, the stress on the upper part (wind, or heavy lights/light formers, or —Heaven forbid!— a boom or grip arm) will bend it. Been there myself with such stands. Another 'feature' is that their legs are shorter, which makes them even more unstable.

I'd get another stand, like a Manfrotto 1052BAC.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2015 13:32 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #9

Ive got an impact 10ft stand thats as solid as any manfrotto of an equivalent size.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Alveric. (2 edits in all)

Jan 01, 2015 15:22 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

I've got a Westcott lightstand that is very portable (folds shorter than others and has a smaller footprint) that bent when I attached a grip arm holding a reflector to it. If the Impact stand is of similar quality... well. I've also got an Impact umbrella bracket that's total junk. I'm not buying B&H's own brand products again.

One thing, regardless of brand, though: the more sections a stand has, the less structural strength it has and the easier it'll bend.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Carpe ­ Lux
29 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 02, 2015 00:58 |  #11

Try replicating the stand-umbrella setup indoors first...same height, same leg spread. Then push on it from different directions to see just how stable it is in these windless conditions. Then start laying on the weight...bags, jugs of water, weights....all those are great suggestions. Test some more.

Once you've dialed in the support, try it outside. But never more than a breeze, these setups are inherently unstable....if it's windy then you need a VAL (voice activated lightstand=a friend to hold the stand/umbrella.)

P.S. I suppose you could also try stakes over the legs or tie-downs to save weight, but = more hassle & time.

RicoTudor
628 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 02, 2015 01:26 |  #12

Tying your stand to the ground is a guy thing.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2015 06:50 |  #13

RicoTudor wrote in post #17361645 (external link)
Tying your stand to the ground is a guy thing.

:lol:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,831 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2015 10:20 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #17358700 (external link)
Its not the stand strength. At worst it might be the width of the base, but it's the wind tipping your umbrella and stand. Sandbags help as does using an umbrella softboxes that catches less wind. These have the added benefit of being cheap enough that you don't mind dinging them up occasionally. http://www.amazon.com …keywords=umbrel​la+softbox (external link)

^
Base circle diameter of the legs is insufficiently large to overcome the weight (umbrella/ribs) at the end of a lever arm (the umbrella shaft) even with zero wind.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light stand?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.