Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 04 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worth it to upgrade from T5i to 70D or 6D?

grazamataz
406 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 04, 2015 21:42 |  #1

Yeah another one of these threads....I've read until my eyes bled on the differences between the T5i, 70D and 6D but I wanted to get some opinions based on my specific needs. Here's the rundown:

I got my T5i a few months ago (lenses in my sig) and take it with me pretty much everywhere I go. It's been really great for me so far--you can see what I like to shoot on my flickr, linked in my sig (pardon the early photos, I know they're not awesome). However, I shoot a lot of candid indoor stuff, in situations where I don't have time or it's not appropriate to get lighting set up. I never have my ISO set higher than 1600 but even at that level the noise gets pretty bad on the T5i, which I'm noticing now that I have a (slightly) more discerning eye. Of course, lower ISOs get me blurry shots since I don't always have a tripod available either. So I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade.

I know the 6D is FF and obviously would have better low-light performance but I've seen mixed things on the 70D...from what I've read it's not that much of an improvement in the sensor over the T5i since it's still APS-C, but again, mixed reviews, so I wanted to get some feedback on whether the 6D or 70D would be more appropriate for me based specifically on what I shoot. The 6D is at the top of my budget. I've ruled out the 7D mark II since its strengths seem to lie in sports/wildlife photography and if I'm going to spend that much I'm going FF.

Additional info: My goal for this year is to be able to at least develop a bit of side income on shooting portraits, families, engagements, etc. I want to get some weddings in the mix down the line. I also enjoy nature and street photography but they won't be my main focus.

Any advice for this noob is greatly appreciated!

Canon 5D Mark IV || Canon 7D Mark II || Canon 135 f/2L || Canon 85 f/1.8 || Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART || Canon 16-35 f/4L || Sigma 150-600 C
Chris Greig Photography (external link)

sponsored links
ericm59
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 04, 2015 22:41 |  #2

I just got the 6D not too long ago and love it. Great low light performance and IQ. It'd be perfect for portraits, engagements etc.

however considering the lenses you own, I'd recommend the 70D or the 7D mk II. Would you dish out $XXXX for a FF where you can only utilize 1 lens??

Forgive me if i sound rude, but i'd invest in the glass first. It'll make your next camera body shine much more.

(the 6D + 85mm 1.8 combo are a match made in heaven ;-)a)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 05, 2015 02:40 |  #3

grazamataz wrote in post #17366555 (external link)
Yeah another one of these threads....I've read until my eyes bled on the differences between the T5i, 70D and 6D but I wanted to get some opinions based on my specific needs. Here's the rundown:

I got my T5i a few months ago (lenses in my sig) and take it with me pretty much everywhere I go. It's been really great for me so far--you can see what I like to shoot on my flickr, linked in my sig (pardon the early photos, I know they're not awesome). However, I shoot a lot of candid indoor stuff, in situations where I don't have time or it's not appropriate to get lighting set up. I never have my ISO set higher than 1600 but even at that level the noise gets pretty bad on the T5i, which I'm noticing now that I have a (slightly) more discerning eye. Of course, lower ISOs get me blurry shots since I don't always have a tripod available either. So I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade.

I know the 6D is FF and obviously would have better low-light performance but I've seen mixed things on the 70D...from what I've read it's not that much of an improvement in the sensor over the T5i since it's still APS-C, but again, mixed reviews, so I wanted to get some feedback on whether the 6D or 70D would be more appropriate for me based specifically on what I shoot. The 6D is at the top of my budget. I've ruled out the 7D mark II since its strengths seem to lie in sports/wildlife photography and if I'm going to spend that much I'm going FF.

Additional info: My goal for this year is to be able to at least develop a bit of side income on shooting portraits, families, engagements, etc. I want to get some weddings in the mix down the line. I also enjoy nature and street photography but they won't be my main focus.

Any advice for this noob is greatly appreciated!

If you're still a beginner, you're better off using a simple and basic camera body. At first, your money is best spent on lessons rather than equipment.

For inexperienced people, there's more to be gained by improving technique than by purchasing new toys. Better technique and improved understanding of how equipment works does not come in a box. That achievement requires time and work. The need for instant gratification will always be frustrated by a craft such as photography where improvement is gradual and incremental.

If you badly want a new toy, buy a light meter (external link) and learn how to use it. Dollar-per-dollar, you'll be better off than buying another camera body.

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by grazamataz.

Jan 05, 2015 06:38 |  #4

great advice, thank you both. i did consider that going to FF would cut me down to only one lens so i will probably hold off on FF for now. i will check out light meters too. i definitely don't want to be that guy with a fancy camera who doesn't know how to use it right. that being said i may still consider the 70D for the improved AF (19 points vs 9 points) and the quick-control dial, plus the price is attractive right now. but i'm not yet familiar with light meters so i can see that being very useful to learn.

Canon 5D Mark IV || Canon 7D Mark II || Canon 135 f/2L || Canon 85 f/1.8 || Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART || Canon 16-35 f/4L || Sigma 150-600 C

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 05, 2015 08:04 as a reply to  @ grazamataz's post |  #5

The 6D will up your image quality, but you're going to spend big bucks on the glass. I started with a T4i (exactly the same camera as the T5i) and bought a 70d. If you shoot in full manual mode, the ergonomics are definitely quicker to navigate on the 70d. As far as IQ difference, for me the big change is the lack of banding in the shadows. The 70d is still noisy, but it's a *better* noisy. It was worth the upgrade for me, but I needed a second body. I also had decent glass before I upgraded.

At this point you're not too invested in EF-S, if I were in your shoes, I'd hold on to what I had for now. Take the $500 that you'd spend on upgrading to the 70d, and put it into lighting gear. Way more bang for your buck, and all of it will transfer over when you decide to jump to full frame. Couple flashes, triggers, light stands, and umbrellas will give you tons to learn while you're mastering your craft.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 05, 2015 09:17 |  #6

rebelsimon wrote in post #17367037 (external link)
As far as IQ difference, for me the big change is the lack of banding in the shadows. The 70d is still noisy, but it's a *better* noisy.

Yesssss that's exactly the info i was looking for. That's where it would help me when i am shooting candids without all my gear handy. i was already leaning toward the 70D just for the ergonomics factor. i have the controls on my T5i learned to the point that i can navigate without looking, but it's still clunky to change focus points or stop the exposure up/down. i definitely have lost time on the few actual shoots i've done.

rebelsimon wrote in post #17367037 (external link)
Take the $500 that you'd spend on upgrading to the 70d, and put it into lighting gear. Way more bang for your buck, and all of it will transfer over when you decide to jump to full frame. Couple flashes, triggers, light stands, and umbrellas will give you tons to learn while you're mastering your craft.

i forgot to mention i already do have a couple speedlites, an umbrella with a diffuser, an additional smaller softbox and a trigger system on the way. it should be enough to give me a solid starting point for learning off-camera flash techniques. so that's covered!

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,715 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 06, 2015 16:24 |  #7

DC Fan wrote in post #17366846 (external link)
If you're still a beginner, you're better off using a simple and basic camera body. At first, your money is best spent on lessons rather than equipment.

For inexperienced people, there's more to be gained by improving technique than by purchasing new toys. Better technique and improved understanding of how equipment works does not come in a box. That achievement requires time and work. The need for instant gratification will always be frustrated by a craft such as photography where improvement is gradual and incremental.

If you badly want a new toy, buy a light meter (external link) and learn how to use it. Dollar-per-dollar, you'll be better off than buying another camera body.

This is your very best advice. You already own a great and very capable camera. Very little will be gained by spending money on new hardware at this point. Buy new equipment only when your current kit is limiting your abilities in some way.

Save your money and get to the point where your current camera simply cannot keep up with you. Then make a move on new hardware.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 06, 2015 16:58 |  #8

I say that if you can afford to upgrade, go for it. Your technique will continue to improve as you get out and take more pictures. I have a 70D and am really happy with it (started out with a 60D). 6D is a great camera as well, if you are willing to invest in a FF system.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 06, 2015 18:17 |  #9

saea501 wrote in post #17369393 (external link)
This is your very best advice. You already own a great and very capable camera. Very little will be gained by spending money on new hardware at this point. Buy new equipment only when your current kit is limiting your abilities in some way.

Save your money and get to the point where your current camera simply cannot keep up with you. Then make a move on new hardware.

thank you for the advice, seriously. and i completely agree on learning the techniques first--i do think that's important. that being said, i believe i am at a point already where an upgrade would be beneficial. i've taken thousands of photos, read a ton and watched hours of videos in the time i've had my camera and am already finding things that could have been easier/better with a better AF system, more efficient camera controls, etc. i'm booking shoots with friends (still pro bono as i do consider myself a learner) now and i want to make sure i can keep up and get more efficient as i go. does that make sense?

since i've already got my lighting equipment (save for a light meter, which is now on my short list), i think a 70D would be a good step for me. it's a camera i'd be able to hold on to for a while and would grow with me more than the T5i.

i understand most advice has been to hold off...you guys are probably thinking, "man this dude's not listening." i really am and this conversation has given me good food for thought as to where i am and what i need to focus on next, along with helping me decide on a 70D vs the 6D. i do really appreciate all the input. i'm about 95 percent decided on an upgrade now, especially since the 70D is priced pretty nice at the moment and i will have a good tax return coming.

DigiBill
262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by DigiBill.

Jan 07, 2015 06:56 |  #10

Chris.....

First of all thanks for starting this thread. Like you I too have been wanting to upgrade to a 70D or 6D, but after all the great replies you have received, I'm going to work more on learning with the gear I currently have.

By the way, I visited your Flicker and you are doing some very nice work with your T5i.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

grazamataz
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 07, 2015 07:01 as a reply to  @ DigiBill's post |  #11

Thank you very much Bill! Yeah I think if it were any other time of year I'd be more inclined to hold off on an upgrade but that's what tax returns are for, right? :lol:

spooky ­ action
292 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 07, 2015 14:33 as a reply to  @ grazamataz's post |  #12

Chris, I too am at a point where I'm thinking of upgrading from my t4i to either the 70D or 6D (in fact I started a similar thread here a few days ago). Looking at your lenses, maybe before spending money on the camera you should try renting L glass to see if the improved IQ and AF they come with can tide you over for a little longer with the t5i (I recognize that some of the obstacles you've referenced won't be removed with better glass). For me, I've found that L lenses are vastly superior in image quality, color and speed to the EF-S lenses and have extended the life of my t4i. You can check out the-digital-picture.net to see how lenses will fare on different cameras in various categories. The added benefit of better lenses is that they will outlast your 70D when you are ready to replace that with the 7D ii! After reading some of the responses to my earlier thread, I am going to try and sell my t4i with the 18-135 to acquire the 70D (not ready for full frame yet, plus I still like the lower weight, smaller size, and extra focal length you get on the APS-C sensor). I'm curious to find out what you end up doing....

Josh
D810 - 24-70 f/2.8G ED - Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar

spooky ­ action
292 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 07, 2015 14:45 |  #13

Chris, what kind of prices are you seeing for the 70D? Are you looking at new or used? The best I've seen so far is $750 on craigslist.

Josh
D810 - 24-70 f/2.8G ED - Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,715 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 07, 2015 16:51 |  #14

For what it's worth, I recently went from a 600D (T3i) to a 6D.

I have always been happy with the overall performance of the 600d and have been shooting with it for 3+ years. Image quality has always been very good. But I wanted to be able to shoot wide apertures at long focal lengths. When My EF S 18-200 is zoomed to 200 the widest it will open is f/5.6. So I bought the EF 70-200 f/2.8. That lens, when mounted on the 600D has a very narrow field of view at 70mm. To the point where it's all but useless. Unless your 40 feet from your subject. So I got the type of camera that lens was designed for.

So, the primary reason for my upgrade was to be able to shoot wide apertures at long focal lengths.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

hidroela
305 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 07, 2015 17:12 |  #15

for what it's worth (only been doing this for over 6 months) I went from t5i to 6d and i cannot be more happy.
lower noise at high ISO
better image quality
More dynamic range
larger viewfinder
larger sensor
Better color depth
Has a GPS and wifi
Better maximum light sensitivity
Better boost ISO

PĂ©rez
GEAR

sponsored links

13,935 views & 3 likes for this thread
Worth it to upgrade from T5i to 70D or 6D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.