Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 07 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 02:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Reservoir Dog (showing now: Reservoir Dog)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money9.5
Bokeh9
Sharpness8.5
Contrast9.5
Focusing7.5
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD

Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, reviewed by Reservoir Dog

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (4 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2015 02:33 |  #1

First at all you should know that this lens need light ... a lot of light, but depend what your body will produce at high ISO, you might have some good surprise when light is starting to lack

The colors produced by this lens are good, really good IMO, even surprisingly good.
The contrast is also excellent, may be a bit too much, may be ... i said that because i think Tamron made this lens with a well contrasted projected image to compensate to make the picture look like more sharp that it is in reality ;)

Sharpness ... that it's not bad at all, seriously in sunny day it can deliver nice details, and can be surprisingly good, may be comparable to the 100-400 !

Autofocus > in noway the AF system is good as the 100-400L (and it's not the fastest from Canon), but Tamron is not bad at all, a bit slow compare to the 100-400L, but accurate and work well also in AI Servo!
i should say i missed few times some birds, in 1 month of testing, that i would never miss with the 100-400L, due to the AF "searching" to being late to "lock".

There is a switch on the side of the lens to make the AF faster by reducing the length the AF need to move when you put the lens from 15metres to ∞, and it really goes faster.
But ... 15metres to ∞ ... seriously ? in my case it's totally unusable, 15 metres it's already too far when birds are 10 to 15 cm small :rolleyes: > Tamron what are you thinking ? i would prefer a less "fast" option by limiting the AF from 8 or even 10 metres, but 15 metres ... :-(

Image Stabilization (Tamron call it VC for Vibration Control) is efficient and very quiet, i cannot really say which of the Canon or Tamron is better, but i might give the advantage here to Tamron (i feel it is better than Canon, but didn't really check), there is no IS / VC mode, like mode 2 for panning on Canon lens, i didn't tried to pan with it, i'll will update it when i will do it ( i mean with > a slow shutter speed, there is nothing to write about it if i am at 1/1000s or more ;-)a )

So for me this lens is a kind of compromise, i tested it for +1 month, and few days ago i decided to buy it in replacement of the 100-400L.

Compromise why ?
Sharpness, on the edge of the picture, i down grade a little bit (but it's the edge, so it's ok for me)
AF, i down grade a little bit.
Focal length, a huge upgrade in my case, with the 100-400 i was always too short, i shot birds mostly with a 7D and less often with a 5D3, i bought a Canon TC x2 III but on the 100-400 it become a piece of crap and the picture are unusable at ALL !

Tamron 150-600 produce good picture on both 7D and 5D3, the colors are rich, excellent contrast, quite good sharpness over all, in sunny day it get even better and i got birds which was too far with the 100-400 and i fulfill the frame were before i needed to crop it !
Calculation is simple on a crop sensor like the 7D.
400mm * 1.6 = 640
600mm * 1.6 = 960
Almost 1000mm equivalent FOV on the 7D compare to the +600mm before with the 100-400 and on the FF i got the same FOV than before with the 100-400 on the 7D ... the compromise win for me!

You want to see some pictures ?
Ok ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
Reservoir ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Jan 07, 2015 02:36 |  #2

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

jasc2103
51 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 13, 2015 18:13 |  #3

interesting review - I have not read of many people switching from the canon 100 - 400 to the Tamron . It appears to work well for you

Reservoir ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 14, 2015 19:08 |  #4

jasc2103 wrote in post #17381009 (external link)
interesting review - I have not read of many people switching from the canon 100 - 400 to the Tamron . It appears to work well for you

Yes it does!
I will add, more i use it and compare it to the 100-400 (the last few days i did a lot of birds), more i am thinking to edit my review and rate to give a more better rating in favor to Tamron, the image quality for example, i said it's "almost" the same, in fact, IT IS the same (a bit different in color and contrast but the quality is here, different but same IQ).
For the vibration compensation (IS-VC), i said a "slight" advantage to Tamrom, those last days handheld Tamron is by far better than the 100-400 (didn't pan yet at slow shutter speed, where i read it's the Tamron's "Achilles heel" ) but yes it work very well for me and my needs ;)

Hiker247
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 31, 2015 23:40 |  #5

Does anyone have experience on using this lens on game safaris in Africa? How does it compare to Sigma's version?

Reservoir ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 01, 2015 05:04 as a reply to  @ Hiker247's post |  #6

You might have the answer you are searching for, here >> https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=134808​2&page=406
;)

Hiker247
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2015 20:05 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #7

The pix are excellent to my old eyes but my question revolves around 2 issues:
1. Is the focal range necessary for a African safari? I know the more you have the more flexibility you have but the sever limitations on weight for flying from camp to camp requires eliminating extras.
2. How does this lens hold up to the safari environment? I believe that most of the previous photo samples represent birder environments. The dirt, dust and shock of Africa are more severe. This is a predominately plastic lens without the seals on Canon L glass. I expect dust and bumps but hopefully not too many drops. Plastic breaks sometimes. With the large change in volume in zooming (length changes from ~10 to ~17inches) how much dust gets pulled into the lens and then the camera? I would be unhappy sacrificing an 7D or 5Dmk3.

Any input on my concerns would be greatly appreciated. So would any hints on using the lens on safari.

Jorgac
381 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 09, 2015 06:01 as a reply to  @ Hiker247's post |  #8

Hi Hiker

I live in South Africa and mainly shoot wildlife. I don't know what gear you already have but am replying on the assumption that you are looking to buy a lens for your african safari. I recently purchased the new 100-400 mkii and 500 f4 mkii. These replaced my old 70-300 L and 400 5.6

The reason I mention this is because I had been saving for this purchase for some time and by the time I had the funds, I was spoilt for choice in terms of the Tammy, Sigma's new 150-600, and the new Canon 100-400. Cost was not one of the factors that I took into account when deciding on the 100-400 but it is somewhere in between the Tammy and Sigma. My father happens to have to Tammy as well so I have seen this in action on safari.

I would definitely recommend that you go with the new 100-400 - the major advantages this has over the Tammy and Sigma are: size, weight, AF, IS and IQ - it trumps the others on all these counts. The only thing it lacks vs the others is reach but I have used a 1.4 extender on this lens and with the extender attached it is still lighter than the others. IQ with the extender at 560mm is probably better than the Tammy at 600mm, in fact there is hardly any IQ degradation with the extender attached. Not sure about the Canon + extender vs IQ of Sigma at 600mm. Your 7d won't autofocus with the extender but your 5dmkiii will.

The last thing to consider is weather and dust sealing. Believe me, when you are on safari, you'll know what I'm talking about, especially between May and Nov. If you are on an open safari vehicle there will definitely be a lot of dust and sealing then becomes important. You don't want to mess around with keeping your gear in a plastic cover or pillow case (as I've sometimes heard people suggest) else you definitely run the risk of missing some amazing action as things can happen pretty quickly. I usually have just a lens hood attached and give my gear a good cleaning each night while on safari.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Name is Charles | Instagram charlesjorg
Canon 1dx Mkii, 7d Mkii, 5d Mkiv, EF 500mm f4 Mkii, EF 70-200 f2.8 Mkii, EF 100-400mm f4-5.6 L Mkii, EF 100mm f2.8 L, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L Mkii, EF 16-35mm f4 L, EF 85mm f1.8,

pknight
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 09, 2015 15:24 |  #9

jasc2103 wrote in post #17381009 (external link)

I did the same switch, and I agree with most of the conclusions in this review.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

chaturanga
58 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jul 23, 2015 07:35 |  #10

Photos seem to be so sharp and colorful. Are they shot from far distance?

sponsored links

6,904 views & 1 like for this thread
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, reviewed by Reservoir Dog
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.