Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storing Your Gear. Display or packed away?

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 08, 2015 08:51 |  #1

How do you store your gear? Do you have a "gear room"? Do you put all of your stuff on a shelf or tuck it away in a box when not in use? As I continue to acquire more gear leaving everything in my camera bag is becoming too much of a hassle and inconvenience. If any of you have any cool displays for your gear please post the pics! :lol: I would like to make some sort of shelf to display everything but looking to do something a bit different.

All opinions welcomed :)

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,562 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 08, 2015 08:58 |  #2

I generally keep my un-used lenses, flashes and bodies in a safe. A display on a shelf would be cool but I prefer the peace of mind of having the stuff in a safe.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,138 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 08, 2015 09:16 |  #3

In a Pelican case, readily available to be swapped out into my carry bag.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 08, 2015 09:34 |  #4

I have a spare bedroom that I converted a 'photography' room. Typical desk setup with 27 inch iMac and printer. I have a big magnetic whiteboard where I hang prints for a while to make sure I'm happy with them. I customized the closet with shelves of varying height to accommodate my gear. Bags and tripods on the bottom, empty boxes on the top and everything else in between. The room is on the second floor so I tend to keep a body and 1 or 2 of my most used lenses near the front door for convenience.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 08, 2015 09:41 |  #5

A cool display might be nice but security is more important. I keep extra lenses in a bag, also cuts down on dust, and that bag is stowed away in safe or secured locker.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 08, 2015 09:52 |  #6

Pelican case as well. I have my gear in my backpack that I carry based on need. Then anything else is stored in a pelican in the closet of the art/craft room. Keeps them dust free and somewhere easy to access when I want/need to change out the kit for shoots. If I put it in a safe, I would be less likely to quickly grab what I need.
But I only have enough gear for a couple of kits. I also keep my lighting, stands, modifiers in the same closet. So everything is in one place so I don't have to go looking for them.
As for security, I have two rottweilers, so I don't worry too much about someone coming in and finding/taking my stuff.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by RMH.

Jan 08, 2015 11:27 |  #7

I have 2 very large draws in the living room - one is 5D, L-lenses and lights, the one is lightstands, tripod & modifiers like collapsible softboxes.

I also have more lightsands and a boom arm under the sofa, and a beauty dish, less collapsible softbox, collapsible blackgrounds and large reflectors under the bed :lol:

My SL1 is always out and to hand in case I need to grab a camera and I'm less worries about my toddler finding and playing with that.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 08, 2015 12:01 |  #8

Display camera gear? Like the equipment itself is art or something? How meta...

Just a bag/case placed somewhere safe and out of sight from windows, for most of the same reasons I do it for my power tools and handguns.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

njstacker22
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 08, 2015 12:20 as a reply to  @ MNUplander's post |  #9

Yea, I guess you could say that.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]

eddieb1
855 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 08, 2015 12:27 |  #10

I bought a small cabinet that resembles my kitchen cabinets. Doesn't stick out to attract attention should someone break into my house. It's not in the kitchen, but close enough not to look out of place. I replaced the shelves with glass ones, and installed LED lights that come on when I open the door, turn off after 10 minutes.

njstacker22
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 08, 2015 13:23 |  #11

Sounds pretty neat. Any pictures of this setup?

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 08, 2015 14:05 as a reply to  @ njstacker22's post |  #12

I have a book case in our spare bedroom that has most of my gear on it, box's and books on the bottom two shelves, body, lens, filters, flashes and such are on the upper shelves. Tripods and lightstands and what not are kept out in our studio space. I keep everything more or less ready, just two nights ago we had a mind blowing sunset and grabbed my body and headed out to snap some images.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,418 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2015 23:03 |  #13

Display camera gear? Really? Bodies and lenses are not "cool looking" or "neat to look at". No, they aren't. They are just tools; machines, if you will.

It is the photos themselves that are supposed to be displayed. I mean, do architects display their slide rulers and drafting pencils? Do artists put their messy tubes of oil paints out on display? Do taxidermists put their scalpels and excelsior out for all to see? Heck no! Rather, they display their buildings, paintings, and mounted specimens, respectively. Likewise, photographers should be interested not in displaying the tools of their trade, but rather the results of their creative efforts.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 08, 2015 23:41 |  #14

I've just got a TV stand in my spare bedroom with a shelf that I put everything on. Or gear stays in the backpack it was last in. If I was shooting at night and went to bed the camera might end up on the floor or pile of clothes...... I really don't have a very organized storage system right now. But when I do get the spare room cleaned up it will be my man cave for my hiking/camping and photo gear. After I get shelves made and things sorted I will use the TV stand shelf like I used to.

All the boxes for everything I have is in my shed on the loft all stacked up.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 09, 2015 00:12 |  #15

In bags, boxes, drawers or cupboards... i.e. well away.

I have no interest in my photography gear generally unless I'm working. In which case I'll only take it out to use, clean or charge it.

Peter

sponsored links

7,307 views & 3 likes for this thread
Storing Your Gear. Display or packed away?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.