Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Jan 2015 (Monday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

film camera with ef lenses

thekid17
984 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 12, 2015 20:59 |  #1

i want to take some wildlife photos with my 400mm and i want to shoot film. so looking to get a used film canon camera. these are the ones available used on bh. So my question is does anyone have any experience with these cameras?

canon eos 630
canon rebel 2000
canon rebel ti
canon eos-1

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,182 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 12, 2015 21:13 |  #2

I have a friend who used to shoot the eos 630 with EF mount lenses so I'm sure there are adapters. Sorry I can't offer more than that but I'm sure others will chime in.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 13, 2015 00:41 |  #3

EOS 1 was the predecessor to the EOS 1D series. It was the top end pro series. EOS 3 was pretty much a non-gripped version of the same. The 630 was the first film body, so it's going to be very rudimentary. Rebel 2000 was one of the last film Rebels before digital took over.

Bang for the Buck, the Elan series is pretty good. Either Elan II or 7. The models ending in E had Eye-control AF, which was cool.

KEH.com is another place I'd check for used film bodies.

All will take EF lenses, but maybe not from other brands like Sigma or Tamron, and definitely not EF-S. The EOS-3 and Elan 7 are from the 2000s, so the technology is pretty similar to older digital EOS cameras.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 13, 2015 05:09 |  #4

You can find a EOS 1-N for less than 150$ now. A very good and solid camera! It was the top of the EOS camera at the end of the 1990s years. The older EOS-1 has a too simple Autofocus, the more recent EOS-1V is more expensive.

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 21, 2015 22:00 |  #5

All of those will work just fine with any EF (not EF-S) lenses.

Of the 4, I'd put the 1 at the top, then the 630, then the two Rebels. The 630 was the 3rd autofocus body Canon put out, after the 620 and the 650. The 630 takes the best of those two, and is a really great (albeit old) camera. I have about half dozen of them sitting in my camera room, along with 620's and 650's.

The EOS 1 is/was a pro-level camera. Great camera, but I think it's hard to justify it's price nowadays.

Unlike today's cameras, there was no difference in 'sensor', as all film cameras had the same sensor - the film. So IMO, the lens is more important then the body when it comes to film cameras, but... the features of the bodies can be just as important. Many Rebel level cameras (ie, consumer grade) from all the manufacturers lacked different features or capabilities (full manual as a good example), and thats what really made the difference.

If you want to spend as much as possible, get the 1. If you want a Pro-sumer level body on the cheap, get the 630. If you want lightweight over-priced plastic, get one of the Rebels.

And as a bonus - if you decide on a 630, I'll sell you one for $15 including US shipping. Guaranteed to be working 100%. If you want one of the Rebels, it's $10 shipped. Just PM me.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 21, 2015 22:03 |  #6

OMG... I just look at the prices B+H wants for them. They're insane. Seriously, if you want one, let me know. Sorry, but those prices are insulting.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 22, 2015 01:00 |  #7

thekid17 wrote in post #17379776 (external link)
i want to take some wildlife photos with my 400mm and i want to shoot film. so looking to get a used film canon camera. these are the ones available used on bh. So my question is does anyone have any experience with these cameras?

canon eos 630
canon rebel 2000
canon rebel ti
canon eos-1

KEH offers reasonable prices (external link) for used EOS 35mm cameras.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2015 17:48 |  #8

Of my EOS Film cameras the one that really stands out (for me) is the EOS3. They are pretty cheap and the 45 point AF system is pretty good even when compared to many of the latest cameras. I took mine out a while ago to photograph Herons with my (then) 600 F4 L IS - 36 shots 36 keepers!
Search about for an EOS 3, it is most of a Canon 1V at a fraction of the price.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

1,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
film camera with ef lenses
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.