Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 14 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend me a travel tripod.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2015 11:30 |  #16

To a certain extent, but the carbon fiber version of the Versatile might give you what you're looking for as CF is a bit lighter than aluminum. I took a quick snap of the base areas of the two tripods so you can see for yourself how they differ.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

sponsored links
phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 16, 2015 11:49 |  #17

I'm also very happy with my MeFoto Globetrotter, quite sturdy, converts to a monopod, nice panning ball head, nice bag, spikes for slippery slopes. And it comes in nice colors :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

nqjudo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 16, 2015 13:58 |  #18

Just ordered the Benro C2680TB1. Don't really need the ball head but for the few extra dollars I thought it might come in handy as a backup one day. Thanks again for the review Peter. This one looks good.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 17, 2015 08:05 |  #19

I'd consider selling the B1 head while it's new. Very few tripod manufacturers make decent ballheads and Benro isn't one of them. If you really need a second head sell the B1 and put an additional $30 into the kitty and get a Sirui K-20X or K-30X. There's just no comparison.

I think you'll enjoy using the C2680T, mine is doing fine and I've used it for more than just travel. It's well made and durable but then I do maintain it. It's been in the sea quite a bit and on beaches and the only changes I've made to it are I replaced the regular center column with a short column, and replaced the Benro leg joint bolts with stainless steel Torx T30 bolts. I have the same Torx T30's on my Gitzo 3541LS so that gives you an idea of the size of the bolts in your new Benro. :-)

~Peter

nqjudo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 17, 2015 09:55 |  #20

I might consider doing that with the head. I picked mine up on eBay. Is that where you got the shorter column?

If the Benro is as sturdy as reviews say I'll probably sell my Velbon as well. The Velbon is a fantastic tripod but it just doesn't meet my travel requirements and I don't really see the need for redundancy if the Benro will do the job.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 17, 2015 12:17 |  #21

peter_n wrote in post #17385531 (external link)
To a certain extent, but the carbon fiber version of the Versatile might give you what you're looking for as CF is a bit lighter than aluminum. I took a quick snap of the base areas of the two tripods so you can see for yourself how they differ.

nice pair of legs you got there peter.:-D

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,733 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2015 12:58 |  #22

How does the feisol 3441t compare to a systematic 3 series? My heaviest combo would be tamron 150-600 + 6d.

Just trying to figure out if its worth the hassle to downgrade. The gitzo is my travel tripod..... Have been traveling with a full sized rig for as long as I've been shooting.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2015 09:46 |  #23

nqjudo wrote in post #17386813 (external link)
I might consider doing that with the head. I picked mine up on eBay. Is that where you got the shorter column?

I bought my short center column from the eBay dealer that I bought the tripod from - dc-photo-stuff. You can also buy one from the NYC discount stores though. The last post in my review has the links to those.

~Peter

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 19, 2015 03:44 |  #24

I bought my benro ct 1681 from DC-photo-stuff as well and mine came with a short column in the box it is aluminum as opposed to the longer one but was still a nice throw in. Also I did just like was suggested above and sold my benro head (b0) for 75 bucks and bought the k20x and am quite happy with it

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 19, 2015 08:54 |  #25

Charlie wrote in post #17386986 (external link)
How does the feisol 3441t compare to a systematic 3 series? My heaviest combo would be tamron 150-600 + 6d.

I've seen and handled a Feisol but haven't used one in the field. They're like Benros, you get 85% of the quality at about 50% of the cost of a top-tier tripod.

My 3-series Gitzo is the best tripod I've got but the Benro travel tripod was an aberration IMO, not only was it nicer to use than the Gitzo it had better specs, crucially height where travelers are generally deficient. The Feisol will be lighter than a Gitzo but will it handle your Tamron lens? Especially in windy conditions...

~Peter

sponsored links

4,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend me a travel tripod.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.