Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS Focus Problems

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Chief_10Beers.

Jan 14, 2015 21:16 |  #1

I just found out I have a big problem with this Lens, It will not AF or Manual Focus in certain positions as in, if I'm at Infinity and re-focus closer at a angle of 45* or greater from the Horizon, the Lens has a hard time focusing and sometimes not at all, will not even hunt. It doesn't even matter what AF mode I'm in. In manual mode, The Lens will stop and start moving randomly no matter how fast or slow I'm turning the Focusing ring.

Same thing when pointing down wards, but just the opposite, Close up to focusing further away, same problem. But here is the Kicker. Close up to Infinity point above the Horizon, it's ok in both AF and MF, same pointed down but just the opposite. Pretty much Horizontal, the AF Focus studders till it locks, same in MF.

I bought the Lens in Aug of 2013. I have a feeling it's going to cost me a lot of money to get it repaired. I have a nasty feeling it was like this when I bought it because I didn't have a lot of keepers and I thought it was me. Has anyone had this problem? How much is the average repair for this Lens?

Edit to add, it does this with both 60D and 6D...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links
ZeissFan
170 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 14, 2015 22:28 |  #2

I can only offer sympathy and sincere hope it's covered under some kind of warranty. If you bought New and paid with certain credit cards I believe a few of them give you an extra year of coverage thru the CC Card beyond manufacturer's warrantees. I just purchased this model lens used from KEH and in first week am getting a high number of in forus shots even tho I'm shooting almost exclusively at f4 & f5.6, but I am using it on an EOS-1DmkII which might be helping. I don't know.
Good Luck,
R.W.

1DmkII, Zeiss 50mm f1.8, Leica Summicron Fifty, & Elmarit Ninety, via Mount Adapters and Some Crappy Zooms!

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2015 02:23 |  #3

It's a known problem with this lens:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=uI15shZyn9Q (external link)
http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/334721​1 (external link)

Mine's 7 years old and fairly heavily used, and I haven't had any problems at all with it.

ZeissFan
170 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 15, 2015 18:38 |  #4

melcat wrote in post #17383282 (external link)

Mine's 7 years old and fairly heavily used, and I haven't had any problems at all with it.

Thanks for these links. I'll test my lens first thing tomorrow. So I can know if this might be a lemon before my no fault return guarantee runs out.

1DmkII, Zeiss 50mm f1.8, Leica Summicron Fifty, & Elmarit Ninety, via Mount Adapters and Some Crappy Zooms!

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 15, 2015 19:55 |  #5

Looks like I'm screwed, it's going to cost me and money is tight right now. I'll have a $1100 paper weight for a few monthsvmad...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

ZeissFan
170 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 15, 2015 20:25 as a reply to  @ Chief_10Beers's post |  #6

Ooooof!
I feel your pain. I had a Zeiss lens arrive from a private purchase in Germany and it worked perfectly for literally only 5 minutes. I was ooh'ing and ahhh'ing over it and aperture ring went clunk. I had it repaired but it equaled the original cost of my purchase.
Any info on whether there was any kind of recall or special accomodation for that particular failure? Couldn't hurt to ask Canon or spend some quality time with Google.
Sincerely,
Richard

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Chief_10Beers. (2 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2015 20:39 |  #7

ZeissFan wrote in post #17384612 (external link)
Ooooof!
I feel your pain. I had a Zeiss lens arrive from a private purchase in Germany and it worked perfectly for literally only 5 minutes. I was ooh'ing and ahhh'ing over it and aperture ring went clunk. I had it repaired but it equaled the original cost of my purchase.
Any info on whether there was any kind of recall or special accomodation for that particular failure? Couldn't hurt to ask Canon or spend some quality time with Google.
Sincerely,
Richard

There was a lot of chatter of Canon should do a recall as from what I read, there was quite a few world wide who had this issue but that's about it. Some had their repair done free and some paid out thru the nose for the same repair, I just remembered I have $350 coming my way thru the Canon rebate program, well there goes the 85 f/1.8 I was going to buy but my 70-200 comes first...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 19, 2015 17:59 |  #8

Shipped my Lens out tonight. CS at Canon told me "they might cut me some slack on the warranty or not, it just depends"..............​.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

scottsoutter
202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 22, 2015 00:27 |  #9

I had this same issue. Almost a year to the day after I bought it. Got it fixed under warranty, and it's back to 100%.

I hope it works out for you and that you don't get totally slammed with the repair.

It's a sharp lens and I'd hate for it to turn in to that paperweight you describe.

Mr.Noisy
288 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2015 00:54 as a reply to  @ Chief_10Beers's post |  #10

Fingers crossed for you that it's a small repair and Canon do it as a warranty repair, I feel your pain, I have that lens and know its out of warranty now, and Canon are pretty good on small works.

Gear List

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 22, 2015 09:30 |  #11

Well I received my quote, $158.15 including shipping. CS told me it can go up if they found more defects. I think it will as the Manual Focusing is hosed as well.
This Lens like all my equipment was never dropped, kicked or abused, not even a scratch as money does not come easily to me. I take good care of my gear.

I did learn my lesson, to thoroughly op check equipment in the 1st 30 days and don't assume it's the operator head space like I did...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Nethawked
801 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 22, 2015 20:07 |  #12

melcat wrote in post #17383282 (external link)

Thanks for the links. I just bought this lens, will be checking thoroughly tomorrow.

In other news, jeez what a bunch of condescending buttwipes there are at dpreview! :rolleyes:

scottsoutter
202 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 22, 2015 20:56 |  #13

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #17394650 (external link)
Well I received my quote, $158.15 including shipping. CS told me it can go up if they found more defects. I think it will as the Manual Focusing is hosed as well.
This Lens like all my equipment was never dropped, kicked or abused, not even a scratch as money does not come easily to me. I take good care of my gear.

I did learn my lesson, to thoroughly op check equipment in the 1st 30 days and don't assume it's the operator head space like I did...............

Ouch. Manual and auto focus were both hosed on mine. Sorry, Chief. Hopefully lots of good pictures to come when it gets back.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 30, 2015 18:39 |  #14

I'm supposed to receive my Lens tomorrow, I hope it's fixed and if it is, I can't complain to much for my inattentiveness on my part, that cost me $158.15.

One question for ya'll, I Know I should ask Canon, but is there any warranty on the Lens after the repair? I didn't see it on Canon's website...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by l89kip.

Jan 30, 2015 19:30 |  #15

Scared. Just tested mine. There is no such problem. What a relief.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

sponsored links

3,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS Focus Problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.