Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 05:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying a 70D - what to seek, what to avoid

HWolf
255 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 22, 2015 09:39 |  #16

I bought my 70D last Spring, along with the new 10-18mm lens. It replaced my Nikon D600 and Sigma 12-24mm lens for my real estate photography. While it might sound funny that a full frame DSLR and widely-loved wide angle lens can be replaced by a crop sensor DSLR and a "cheapo" consumer zoom, it works for me and what I do because of the swiveling screen and the wi-fi. To get a good, undistorted image inside rooms the camera must often be equidistant from floor to ceiling, and you can either crouch down a bit or just use a tilt swivel LCD. I dislike sore knees. :) The wi-fi is great in that you can show clients the photos on a tablet quickly and easily.

I've go to say, thus far, I love the camera. The only drawback in my book is the flimsy control dial. It just feels cheap and fragile.

No focus issues here but haven't really tried to find them. I say buy it from a store you know you can return it to if you don't like it, like B&H or Adorama. Just be careful to keep all packaging and materials pristine.

sponsored links
jay125
on the happy gas
10,710 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2015 18:46 |  #17

HWolf wrote in post #17394664 (external link)
I bought my 70D last Spring, along with the new 10-18mm lens. It replaced my Nikon D600 and Sigma 12-24mm lens for my real estate photography. While it might sound funny that a full frame DSLR and widely-loved wide angle lens can be replaced by a crop sensor DSLR and a "cheapo" consumer zoom, it works for me and what I do because of the swiveling screen and the wi-fi. To get a good, undistorted image inside rooms the camera must often be equidistant from floor to ceiling, and you can either crouch down a bit or just use a tilt swivel LCD. I dislike sore knees. :) The wi-fi is great in that you can show clients the photos on a tablet quickly and easily.

I've go to say, thus far, I love the camera. The only drawback in my book is the flimsy control dial. It just feels cheap and fragile.

No focus issues here but haven't really tried to find them. I say buy it from a store you know you can return it to if you don't like it, like B&H or Adorama. Just be careful to keep all packaging and materials pristine.

For the time I owned my 70d, this was my only complaint as well. I actually exchanged it as I thought it was broken...which it wasn't. Coming from the smooth dial of the 60D, I was just not pleased with that dial on the 70D. Other than that my 70D was quick, sharp and felt good in my hands.

feedback

gear list

awacsCZE
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by awacsCZE.

Apr 08, 2015 14:45 |  #18

I am sorry to reply so late. I forgot, that I posted here :) Thank all of you for help :)

I still hesitate, but now, the 760D is comind and I really like it. Do you think I should consider it also?

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 08, 2015 17:06 |  #19

awacsCZE wrote in post #17509535 (external link)
I am sorry to reply so late. I forgot, that I posted here :) Thank all of you for help :)

I still hesitate, but now, the 760D is comind and I really like it. Do you think I should consider it also?

If I were looking for a crop camera, I'd certainly wait for the 760D to arrive and see the reviews. That should be within a few weeks, so unless you literally can't wait that long, why not see if you like it better than the 70D?

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,553 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by MakisM1.

Apr 08, 2015 17:34 |  #20

I'd say go for the 70D. The 760 does not have Manual Focus Adjustment (MFA). I had no problems with my 60D which doesn't have MFA either, but I don't want to go again through the agony of buying a $2000+ lens not knowing whether it will AF right.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 08, 2015 18:40 |  #21

While I agree with Gerry's point about being able to MFA lenses, the 760D does look like a strong competitor for the 70D. I'd say compare them, and weigh that against what type of shooting you're going to use it for.

I have a T4i and a 70D, so there's a lot of differences. It's harder for me now to make changes like aperture quickly on the T4i (650D), since I've become accustom to the 70D. The layout is totally different, and now that I'm used to the 70D, the T4i setup is a sort of ridiculous. I do really like my 70D.

You said you're concerned with the focus issues of the 70D. I'm on my 2nd copy, the first had that problem. However any new model may have some problem that hasn't been discovered or worked out. For example some people have reported similar with the 7D MKII. Whichever you buy just be sure to test it thoroughly before the 30 day return period expires.

Ron
My Gear List

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,681 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 08, 2015 18:46 |  #22

After having a few cameras that did not have the MFA, I will never buy another one. Most of the lens were fine, but a couple required considerable adjustment. Now I have the 70D and the 6D, and will never go back.

And another sticking point for me is the lack of the dial wheel on the back of the 70D. My wife uses a Rebel, and it is a pain to adjust both F stop and the shutter speed in manual mode without pressing two buttons. She now grabbed my 70D and would not give it back!

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by frozenframe. (2 edits in all)

Apr 08, 2015 19:00 |  #23

Lbsimon wrote in post #17509873 (external link)
After having a few cameras that did not have the MFA, I will never buy another one. Most of the lens were fine, but a couple required considerable adjustment. Now I have the 70D and the 6D, and will never go back.

And another sticking point for me is the lack of the dial wheel on the back of the 70D. My wife uses a Rebel, and it is a pain to adjust both F stop and the shutter speed in manual mode without pressing two buttons. She now grabbed my 70D and would not give it back!

That's what I don't like about my T4i. However the 760D Does have the dial wheel. It also has a different Wi-fi that's reportedly better than the 70D, it also has the top screen. About the only lesser features are the 5fps, and lack of MFA.

Edited
Corrected my mistaken MSRP for the T6s or T6i. What I had looked at was the T6s bundled with the 18-135. So it is a little less expensive.

Ron
My Gear List

awacsCZE
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 10, 2015 06:20 |  #24

Well I shoot mainly the planes, which need fast focus. I know, that 70D is faster, but here comes the budget. Here the 70D is 1090 USD and 760D is around 750 USD. That is for me big difference and I am hesitating if the 70D is worth it. I don´t shoot videos, on 600D I did one. I want good battery life, as the 600D, and more focus points, because the 9 sometimes bothered me. I like the idea of MFA, but I don´t know, if it is worth 350 USD to upgrade.

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 10, 2015 10:57 |  #25

I just had a better look at these. The T6i is laid out like all the rest of the Rebels. However the T6s, is the one that is closer to the xxD, like the 70D. B&H has it listed (pre-order) for $849, just $100 more than the T6i. Me, I like the dial wheel on the back and the top LCD screen. For what you're going to be shooting I think those 2 features alone would benefit you more.

Ron
My Gear List

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2015 23:26 |  #26

DaveKosiba wrote in post #17387076 (external link)
Yep, not to mention better weather sealing, micro focus adjust, transmissive LCD VF, Digic 5+ image processor, one stop higher native ISO, and user customizable focus tracking all in a body that is about the same size body with slightly better ergonomics.

The 70D has been in the market about 14-15 months now and with the recent release of Canon's flagship APS-C body, the 7D Mark II, you can see that the 70D still has 98% of the features in a body costing almost twice as much. The 7D gets you 3fps more, even higher level of weather sealing, dual SD/CF card slot, 65pt AF, Dual Digic 6 processors, and a 100% VF. However, you give up WiFi for GPS, and no articulating screen. In my opinion, the 70D is still the better buy for a Canon APS-C body.

I also like the Canon 6D because it is such a great buy for a FF body, I've seen prices down to $1299 recently. However, I would like to have seen the 6D have a few more of the features found in the 70D.

98%? Not so sure about that...there other things about the 7D2 that speak to the price difference that you didn't list. I love the GPS and compass..and I got a CamRanger bundled with the 7D2, which is a much superior WiFi option.

Back to the OP, the 70D is great. The T6s makes me wonder if the 70D is going to be the last XXD camera though. It still has a couple of advantages over the Rebels, but I am interested in how that new 24MP sensor works.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

awacsCZE
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 12, 2015 03:49 |  #27

Thank you guys. I will certainly wait for 760D to see, what it is like (if they don´t delay it further -?). There is issue with my budget. For 760D I stretch it, but for 70D it would be big issue at this time, so it would be really extremely better than 760D in terms of image quality, AF and battery life. I really don´t need the touchscreen, or Wifi, or if it has a coffee maker :D

I saw some test shots on Canon website, both 760D and 70D and it is wery similar outcome, but still, 70D looks like it has it´s flaws gone and 760D is a new one and I am affraid, that it will have issues too and after my bad 600D, I don´t want another lemon :)

Althought Dual pixel AF on 70D was a new technology, right? Does 760D has something new in the way of not tested? 760D has only new version of well known senzor, right? :-)

awacsCZE
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 05, 2015 09:21 |  #28

Hello again,

I didn´t order 760D or 70D yet and recent news about 760D seems, that it has it´s issues also and to me, it looks like 70D is winning. But I have a question about 70D. Does it work with all Canon lenses? I saw somewhere, that it works only with STM lenses and with others, it is slower and not focusing properly. Is that true, or another internet hoax?

I am now back to the buying of 70D, because of faster focus, longer battery life and MFA with weather sealing. I want it to be good, but still a bit affraid of 70D.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,681 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 05, 2015 10:07 |  #29

awacsCZE wrote in post #17544355 (external link)
Hello again,

But I have a question about 70D. Does it work with all Canon lenses? I saw somewhere, that it works only with STM lenses and with others, it is slower and not focusing properly. Is that true, or another internet hoax?

I would love to see a link to that hoax.

The 70D camera, as all Canon crop cameras, work with all Canon lenses and all third party lenses with the Canon mount. These lenses are as fast on the 70D as they would be on any other Canon camera.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 05, 2015 10:22 |  #30

Here comes a personal opinion.

I had a 70D for two whole days and hated it.
Got a 6D three days later and have never been happier (with a camera).

Vaginator9000

sponsored links

12,002 views & 4 likes for this thread
Buying a 70D - what to seek, what to avoid
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.