Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 06:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS tripod equivalent to Gitzo series 3

karrera
68 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2018 18:09 as a reply to  @ post 18544630 |  #16

Peter - after seeing the RRS tripods in person you might be able to help. I've got an old Gitzo 340 with a RRS BH-55 ball head on it. I've been looking at either the TVC-24 or the TVC-34 RRS tripods.
Since I've already got the BH-55 head I'm thinking the TVC-34 would match up better to the ball head mount. Like your photo my Gitzo is much larger in diameter than the RRS TVC_24 seems to be.

Even though the 24 is a little lighter the extra height of the 34 might come in handy.
I shoot a Canon 1Dx and I've experienced creep on my Induro CT1214 travel tripod with a cheap DLOW-40 ball head on it especially when using a 24-70L or a 70-200 F4.
You say the Series-2 RRS is the equivalent of the Series-3 Gitzo so I'm thinking of replacing the Induro with a RRS for everyday and travel and using the Gitzo as a studio piece.

Which would you recommend, the TVC-24 or the TVC-34?

sponsored links
bpalermini
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 04, 2018 18:22 |  #17

I have a RRS TVC-23 tripod paired with a BH55 ballhead. It is not a perfect fit but it works just fine. Here's a photo of the two together.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/Tripod/i-GkCZKn9/0/c9fe6d2d/O/IMG_7221.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …d/O/IMG_7221.jp​g&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

karrera
68 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2018 20:35 as a reply to  @ bpalermini's post |  #18

Thanks - that picture helps a lot - it doesn't look too overwhelming on the 2 series tripod. I really like all of the RRS stuff I have and have been disappointed with some of the cheap copies I've seen of their stuff.
The old buy once cry once rule definitely applies when looking for camera support equipment.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,966 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by SYS.

Mar 05, 2018 14:26 |  #19

I'm currently debating between:

Gitzo GT4553S Systematic Series 4 Carbon Fiber Tripod (I think this model is pretty new)

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …atic_tripod_ser​_4_5s.html (external link)

and

RRS TVC-34 Versa Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …vc_34_versa_ser​ies_3.html (external link)

SPEC Comparisons:

Gitzo ($1,009.99):

Load Capacity: 55 lb
Max Height: 53.5"
Min Height: 3.5"
Folded Length: 18.9"
Leg Sections: 5
Weight: 4.9 lb
Carbon eXact Tubes
G-Lock Ultra Twist Locks
50mm Rubber Feet
Easy Link Attachment Thread

RRS ($1,045):

Load Capacity: 50 lb
Max Height: 58.5"
Min Height: 3.8"
Folded Length: 21.1"
Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 4.4 lb
Twist Locks
Bubble Level, Rubber Ball Feet
Ratcheting Angle Stops

Both are very similar, spec wise, price wise. Right now I'm slightly leaning toward Gitzo with its slight advantage in folded size. It's max height concerns me a bit, but I think with the RRS BH-55 Ball Head and my 5DIII on top, it should come to my eye level comfortably. I'm 5' 8".

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 05, 2018 17:36 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #20

Not used to seeing Gitzo and RRS priced so closely together! Here in the UK RRS tripods are silly money and Gitzo's can often be found at sensible money - well mine were anyway. My whole support collection (4 Gitzo tripods, one Gitzo Mono Pod and Sirui Mono Pod) were less than a single 3 series RRS - at UK prices!

Both makers make the very best tripods going and neither will be a bad decision - it is just getting the model that suits your personal needs the best. I prefer Gitzo - but that is simply because I have been able to get them much cheaper, my most expensive (GT4542LS) was £375 or about $520. However with prices that close then it is just down to which you prefer - both are excellent!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 05, 2018 18:14 |  #21

karrera wrote in post #18577748 (external link)
Thanks - that picture helps a lot - it doesn't look too overwhelming on the 2 series tripod. I really like all of the RRS stuff I have and have been disappointed with some of the cheap copies I've seen of their stuff.
The old buy once cry once rule definitely applies when looking for camera support equipment.

dont do it, the BH-55 is extremely big and heavy, 2 series head needs the BH-40 at max

That ballhead and leg pair is like getting monster tires for your corvette.....

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

peter_n
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 08, 2018 17:08 as a reply to  @ karrera's post |  #22

I too have a BH-55 which was used on a Gitzo 3541LS and is also used (occasionally) on my TVC-24. RRS makes a leveling base for their 2 series that has an identical diameter to the BH-55 and the TVC-24 has no problem hosting the BH-55 on the leveling base. It's a bit heavy, but my experience with the rig has been without incident.

Having said that I normally use Acratech heads and the head on my TVC-24 is a GP-s which has a base diameter of 53mm, the same as the raised circular base on the TVC-24's spider. Coincidentally, Acratech heads have built-in leveling capability. I do agree with you that the RRS BH-55 is more suited to a TVC-34 which is a step beyond a series-3 Gitzo. Yes extra height can be very useful especially if you shoot landscapes or birds. However I would think that a TVC-34 should be your choice only if you see long focus (and heavy) glass in your future. The big, heavier tripods are for lenses exceeding 400mm, not necessarily heavy bodies. My TVC-24 is very stable with a BH-55 on it's leveling base, and an all-metal Fotoman 617 Panoramic with a Schneider 110mm lens on the top.

If you're staying with a longest focal length of around the 200mm you currently own up to about 400mm I would choose a 24 or a 24L. And the 24L has a max height of 66.1" which is around 7.5" taller than the 34.

~Peter

sponsored links

5,534 views & 5 likes for this thread
RRS tripod equivalent to Gitzo series 3
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.