Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,428 posts
Gallery: 1881 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2018 17:02 |  #526

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18564568 (external link)
That guy is living dangerously. Just 4 days ago my photography tour group got out of the snow coach to photograph a herd down the road a ways. 2 snaps in they started charging us...luckily we all made it back on the snowcoach ok.

How much did they charge you? Was cash ok?  :p

sponsored links
Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 15, 2018 21:27 |  #527

Camp ground animals are definitely way more compliant and in most cases could care less as long as the human is not stupid about it. just my experience...two cents

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 16, 2018 10:52 |  #528

I thought posting the photo might catch a little heat. While I am definitely close to the bison - and therefore I can’t 100% defend my actions, a little background to the photo might help:

The bison (and another) wandered the campground all morning. They weren’t interested in much other than finding grass to eat. When this one came through my campsite, I took the opportunity for the photo opportunity. I never approached him and he just ignored me.

Completely safe? No. An educated evaluation of the situation? In my opinion, Yes.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,949 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 16, 2018 10:55 |  #529

Hell, bison wander around the Bridge Bay and Mammoth Campground all the time. You can't be in your tent without being close to them. No big deal.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 16, 2018 10:59 |  #530

This was at Norris and my favorite campsite of all time. In the photo, you can tell that there is a field just behind the trees. In the field, there are a couple of small thermal features. That’s also the field that a pack of wolves came through one night at 2am. They started howling and woke us up.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 16, 2018 11:13 |  #531

RikWriter wrote in post #18565146 (external link)
Hell, bison wander around the Bridge Bay and Mammoth Campground all the time. You can't be in your tent without being close to them. No big deal.

Yeah, Bison can be anywhere, at any time.

Where I camp I often wake up and have bison right outside my tent. . I mean, like, 3 or 4 yards away. . Never a problem. . I've never considered them a danger unless one does something very drastic to get them upset.

Heck, for this shot I didn't even have to zoom in all the way:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,748 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 16, 2018 14:37 |  #532

In the winter I think they are a lot testier....this guy had ribs showing and was struggling through the snow. A lot of them had their tails up which means they aren't happy.

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Tristan29photography
59 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2017

Feb 16, 2018 21:13 |  #533

Poor Lemurian jailed in the zoo
What a beautiful animal, but sad to see him so bored... I'll never come back to the zoo again !

HOSTED PHOTO

Tristan Quevilly
Fine Art Landscape Photography (external link)
Specialized in wild landscapes and portraits of Traditional Cultures

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 17, 2018 10:29 |  #534

Tristan29photography wrote in post #18565592 (external link)
Poor Lemurian jailed in the zoo
What a beautiful animal, but sad to see him so bored... I'll never come back to the zoo again !
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tristan29photography in
./showthread.php?p=185​65592&i=i511149
forum: Wildlife

Nice photo - very well done with a nice pleasing composition and really great eye contact that serves as a wonderful focal point for the image.

BUT ..... if you will never go back to the zoo again, then how does this photo demonstrate what kind of wildlife photographer you are? . I mean, the entire point of this thread is supposed to be about discussing what kind of wildlife photographer you are, and this photo seems to do the opposite of that for you. . So I am curious as to why you decided to use this particular image to show what kind of photographer you are.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Mel-S
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 17, 2018 11:26 |  #535

One of my fishing buddies sent me this one.

HOSTED PHOTO

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Feb 17, 2018 11:49 |  #536

Mel-S wrote in post #18565939 (external link)
One of my fishing buddies sent me this one.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Mel-S in
./showthread.php?p=185​65939&i=i140958320
forum: Wildlife

What ?? Ya never seen a Guy tie a fly on before ?? lol

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

dxd
266 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by dxd.

Feb 17, 2018 14:43 |  #537

My wildlife photos are usually just whatever luck sends my way LOL
Rocky Mountain National Park, Moraine Park, saw the herd across the valley, a few hundred feet. Parked, got out, leaned against the car to take photos and watch them.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4748/39612086154_22103efe5d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23mo​i9E  (external link) Moraine_herd (external link) by *dxd* (external link), on Flickr

They started to drift my way.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4757/39612089854_e08cb90260_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23mo​jfs  (external link) Moraine_close (external link) by *dxd* (external link), on Flickr

When they got too close for comfort, I got back in the car and took the video. Notice the person who thought they were going to get close, then got called away...
blah, don't like you tube video, flickr looks much better over here ==>> https://flic.kr/p/24re​B5X (external link)

debbie

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
15,545 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 17, 2018 15:33 |  #538

dixiedawn wrote in post #18566127 (external link)
When they got too close for comfort, I got back in the car and took the video. Notice the person who thought they were going to get close, then got called away...

Yeah, that is curious ...... I wonder why he didn't continue to get into a better position.

Who called him away? . What did they say? . Why would they have called him away? . So many unknown questions.

dixiedawn wrote in post #18566127 (external link)
blah, don't like you tube video, flickr looks much better over here ==>> https://flic.kr/p/24re​B5X (external link)

I wonder, why don't you like the YouTube video?

I watched the one on YouTube, and then the one on Flickr. . I didn't see any difference at all, so I watched them both again, and then again. . And still, I couldn't find any difference at all.

So what is it that you find to be different about them?

dxd
266 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 17, 2018 16:36 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #539

If I had to guess, I'd say it was parents calling him back, because it's not safe to get so close to dangerous wild animals ;-)a I could probably have just stayed where I was leaning against my car, as long as I stayed right next to it and quiet. I'm sure some people would say I waited too long, they got too close. There were several calves some distance away. I don't know, how protective are elk mothers ? I've heard you don't want to get between a mama moose and her young...

For some reason, when I first viewed the you tube version, it seemed "blotchy", especially in the grass or the sides of the closest elk. Original video is ok. I did check the play setting, it was at 360, but even after changing it to 720Hd it was still blotchy. It seems ok now, though. I would prefer flickr anyway, but I couldn't get it to post on the forum.

debbie

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
2,019 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 19, 2018 12:23 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #540

Great, but, a little too close for me. Thanks for sharing.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

sponsored links

406,026 views & 5,721 likes for this thread
What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.