Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 18, 2018 20:20 |  #586

Mmmm the cold can be a huge danger, I think I have some pretty good experience in all day adventures in sub -30's / -40's... Thats why I look like I'm 50lbs over weight when I'm out shooting for a day. Funny thing is I carry heat packs in my back pack and I found they no longer work. Thats how often I use them.
And the truth is I have no grizzly bears around here. Moose...Moose I got.

Nothin like walking through the bush in the morning fog before the sun comes up with some really large critters.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,235 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 18, 2018 21:39 |  #587

The grizzlies scare me to death.... even from the car window. 90% of the time they completely ignore us but I have seen one charge a car before. Scary stuff.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 18, 2018 22:58 |  #588

Tom. I bet that you will love Alaska and will soon be planning on a return trip. You will find a way. I say this because I've seen the animals you like to photograph and you are right about the timing. I was in Fairbanks early Sept and down in Denali by Sept 8. The animals are all on the move as things are changing fast, the rut is on, winter is fast approaching, bears are feeding hard on berries. The place is alive with wildlife in any direction. The weather can be bad, if not, it soon will be. My experience has been, bad weather can mean more wildlife sightings, there is an urgency to their feeding habits. Nice weather equals nice landscapes, but I'll take Wildlife first. In one long day we saw over fifty Moose, 20 Dalls, 5 Caribou, 30 Grizzlies ,Ptarmigan and many other birds/animals. I talked to several people that had seen 5 Wolves in an area but I did not see them.The morning entering the park was cloudy, very little snow, only on the tallest peaks, when we reached Wonder Lake at 82 miles in a rain/sleet/snow mix began to fall. That evening as we were leaving the park, snow covered 1/3 of the mountains, temps were well below freezing and driving was difficult because the Moose were all over the roads. There were several people out that day, most were serious photographers, hikers and hardy folks enjoying the landscape but I never felt crowded, nothing like the lower 48.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 19, 2018 00:24 |  #589

Bears scare the bejeezus out of me. I'd love to get some photos, at a safe distance, but man.
I mean, I've been to Africa twice and seen my own reflection in a lions eye, but Bears are just so much bigger!
And so unpredictable!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

drewhh
295 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 19, 2018 00:35 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #590

Bears are quite predictable after some practice. you just need to get to know them better. Start by asking where they are from and try to find some common ground.

switched to olympus

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Mar 19, 2018 13:05 |  #591

drewhh wrote in post #18588999 (external link)
Bears are quite predictable after some practice. you just need to get to know them better. Start by asking where they are from and try to find some common ground.

Tell that to my cousin who was killed by a black bear while sleeping in a tent. He was with a scout troop of 8, in two tents on a canoeing trip in Quebec, La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve. It was early July. So maybe they are predictable, up until they are not.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2018 13:31 |  #592

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18589354 (external link)
Tell that to my nephew who was killed by a black bear while sleeping in a tent. He was with a scout troop of 8, in two tents on a canoeing trip in Quebec, La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve. It was Early July. So maybe they are predictable, up until they are not.

Thats the full truth of it right there isn't it. We pretend we understand whats going through the mind of what ever animal we encounter and or pursue. But do we really ??
I'm sure sometimes we do but they don't call them wildlife for nothing. I know I push the limits from time to time.

It cuts like a knife thinking about your nephew Jake. I know I have thought about that very same fate sleeping in a tent in northern Ontario, waking up to wolf tracks circling my tent sometime in the middle of the night. Me unsuspecting... sleeping with the bag pulled up over my head trying to keep the heat in in sub zero temps.

flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (4 edits in all)

Mar 19, 2018 14:05 |  #593

Thanks Jeff.

Odd forum thing about the time stamp vs. your quote. Your post appears to have been posted 10 minutes after I had made the edit to correct to "cousin" ? I do tend to hit "submit" long before a post is actually ready for prime time. I must be "submissive" ;)

Not sure why I first typed "nephew". Daniel was my Cousin. We were only about 5 years apart. I am meeting my nephews after work today, so maybe that's why they were on my mind.
That said, Daniel was all of 12 when this happened, and i was a teenager in high school,. but needless to say it was very close to home. He was one of my Canadian family, and at that time in July like all summers, I was in Georgian Bay with his/our family.

The only time I ever ran into a black bear up there myself was just a few summers later.
I found myself terrifyingly close to one at the top of a pretty darn tall cliff watching the sunset. Much to my surprise (seriously! surprised!) I came to realize I was not alone. A large black bear was also standing watching the same vista (near as i could tell)

My reaction, after only the briefest consideration of my predicament, was to take the plunge to the very deep waters below!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 19, 2018 14:21 |  #594

Pondrader wrote in post #18588070 (external link)
ITs called a moose guy with money Tom.. I just want to follow him around .

I'm a guide Jeff :)

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2018 14:39 |  #595

Tc202 wrote in post #18589419 (external link)

I am still wondering; .do you guide moose hunters, or moose photographers?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Grizz1.

Mar 19, 2018 14:58 |  #596

Where I live no Wildlife is considered dangerous so I've not gained near the experience as others have that live among Bears, Moose, Wolves, or large African game as Lions, Tigers etc. Experience can be the best teacher whether it be knowing how to react around certain animals or performing editing skills on a computer. There is much experience here with both.
I've tried to gain experience with Moose, and both the Black and Grizzly Bear, learned a lot from being around local people that are familiar with the animals as well as observing many of them on my own. Once camped in Ontario, late May, for 10 days where we hunted Black bear, soon learned that Bears can move extremely fast, it is difficult to carry one a quarter mile out of the bush, it is easy to get cold, wet and eaten alive by swarms of bugs. Some Mosquitoes appeared the size of Eagles and took a good amount of blood from me in those 10 days.

I do have a lot of experience with livestock, mainly beef cattle and swine and have seen first hand what can happen when things go bad. The speed and strength animals have, can and will tip the scales in their favor if they decide to hurt you. Almost every year I will cull a couple cows because they have become difficult to handle. We ear tag new born calves and it can become dangerous fast. The older I get the less I like doing this as my reactions are much slower than 20 years ago.
I've lost two neighbors that were trying to assist cows with their calves. Randy had ribs puncture his lungs when a cow head butted him, he had time to make one call for help on his cell phone, he was found dead 15 minutes later. My friend Vic lived for 7 days but never came out of a coma after a cow knocked him down causing his head to hit a concrete feeding floor. At the time Vic raised purebred Angus, competed at the fair and was proud that most of his cattle could be halter broke in a short time. I've had a couple broken bones, a lot of bruises, several cuts, kicked hundreds of times by cattle, pinned against corral panels and ran over leaving nice black and blue hoof prints on my back, never was really scared but it's not a whole lot of fun either.
If we think getting hit by a 275 lb lineman playing football is painful just give some thought to multiplying that number by 2, 3,4 5,6,7,8,9 and then allow them to bite as fair play. The largest Bull I ever sold weighed 2605 lbs but I feared him far less than my 12-1300 lb cows. They are not only quicker, less predictable but foremost they are mothers and protecting their young is predictable.
I've made these comments in hopes to raise awareness, be aware of your experience with wildlife and the elements you may be photographing in. I think all animals sense fear if it is there and can react accordingly. A situation that may be safe for one photographer just may not be for another.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 19, 2018 16:01 |  #597

Great post Steve, and thought provoking stories.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Mel-S
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 19, 2018 17:25 |  #598

and to carry it one step farther........more people are killed by domestic dogs each year than are killed by bears etc.

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2018 17:25 |  #599

Tc202 wrote in post #18589419 (external link)

Yes I know.. Gun or camera just does not mater to me.. I'd like to hear your tales some day.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Mar 19, 2018 17:37 as a reply to  @ Grizz1's post |  #600

Good story Steve.. Your a good tracker to... You managed to track me down.

I seem to be able to get or have critters come to me within just a few feet or inches.. Truth is I have some I use to touch every time I seen them. As wild as they were I was never harmed and neither were they.

I just am not sure the world can handle the truth in living colour.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

241,158 views & 2,117 likes for this thread
What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.