Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"

greyswan
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 19, 2018 17:49 |  #601

Pondrader wrote in post #18588869 (external link)
Mmmm the cold can be a huge danger, I think I have some pretty good experience in all day adventures in sub -30's / -40's... Thats why I look like I'm 50lbs over weight when I'm out shooting for a day. Funny thing is I carry heat packs in my back pack and I found they no longer work. Thats how often I use them.
And the truth is I have no grizzly bears around here. Moose...Moose I got.

Nothin like walking through the bush in the morning fog before the sun comes up with some really large critters.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=185​88869&i=i226653
forum: Wildlife

That shot is a real treasure. Captures the ambience perfectly, I do envy you your opprotunities.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links
Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2018 18:39 |  #602

greyswan wrote in post #18589547 (external link)
That shot is a real treasure. Captures the ambience perfectly, I do envy you your opprotunities.

It can be good here.. It was one super morning messing with this group of Moose in the fog

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 19, 2018 20:56 |  #603

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18589488 (external link)
Great post Steve, and thought provoking stories.

Pondrader wrote in post #18589538 (external link)
Good story Steve.. Your a good tracker to... You managed to track me down.

I seem to be able to get or have critters come to me within just a few feet or inches.. Truth is I have some I use to touch every time I seen them. As wild as they were I was never harmed and neither were they.

I just am not sure the world can handle the truth in living colour.

Thanks Jake and Jeff for the comments.
Jeff, I shouldn't mention it yet again, but I sure regret not being able to take you up on your offer to go shoot Gray Jays. That would have been a great example of the point I'm trying to make. You are so familiar with that area and the Wildlife that hours or days could have been cut from my quest to find certain critters. We made a quick run over to the Outfitters store at Lake Opeongo and about half way there off the highway saw a guy set up with a big lens and a flock of small birds fluttering around him. Later I've decided he was shooting Gray Jays because of the pics you've posted and description of their habits. The store was closing for the day soon so they drained their coffee pot and gave it to me. That made my day so we left to begin the 2 day drive home.
I missed a great opportunity for shooting Wildlife in Algonquin that year but after finding that my wife had a long fracture in the Tibia bone, a lot of pain that required surgery to repair when we returned home it was the best decision to cut our trip short. If we had taken the day to go off shooting Gray Jays together my wife might have been the most ferocious thing we ever encounter.;-)a

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2018 21:12 |  #604

Grizz1 wrote in post #18589661 (external link)
Thanks Jake and Jeff for the comments.
Jeff, I shouldn't mention it yet again, but I sure regret not being able to take you up on your offer to go shoot Gray Jays. That would have been a great example of the point I'm trying to make. You are so familiar with that area and the Wildlife that hours or days could have been cut from my quest to find certain critters. We made a quick run over to the Outfitters store at Lake Opeongo and about half way there off the highway saw a guy set up with a big lens and a flock of small birds fluttering around him. Later I've decided he was shooting Gray Jays because of the pics you've posted and description of their habits. The store was closing for the day soon so they drained their coffee pot and gave it to me. That made my day so we left to begin the 2 day drive home.
I missed a great opportunity for shooting Wildlife in Algonquin that year but after finding that my wife had a long fracture in the Tibia bone, a lot of pain that required surgery to repair when we returned home it was the best decision to cut our trip short. If we had taken the day to go off shooting Gray Jays together my wife might have been the most ferocious thing we ever encounter.;-)a

lol so funny. it was the smart thing to do heading homeward. although a magic afternoon missed. lol..

flickr (external link)

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 19, 2018 21:27 |  #605

Pondrader wrote in post #18589674 (external link)
lol so funny. it was the smart thing to do heading homeward. although a magic afternoon missed. lol..

Jeff,honestly I am known locally to be an excellent tracker but that big expensive motor home that burned next door to your place was a dead give away. :lol: The time lapse in communication without the use of cell phones was a challenge!!:-)

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 22, 2018 12:48 |  #606

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18589440 (external link)

I am still wondering; .do you guide moose hunters, or moose photographers?

Used to guide some hunters but not I'm a 100% photo guide.

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 22, 2018 13:21 |  #607

Tc202 wrote in post #18591708 (external link)

Tell me where and for what ?? Interested to know

flickr (external link)

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 22, 2018 19:51 |  #608

Pondrader wrote in post #18591736 (external link)
Tell me where and for what ?? Interested to know

I currently guide for Great Grey Owls, Snowy Owls, Moose, Red Fox, black skimmer chicks, Florida animals/ birds, I will be guiding to the Falklands in 2021

For my current clients only: black Bears (highest concentration in the lower 48 and we see 50 per session), lynx in Canada, and some other places/ animals.

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,979 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2018 20:35 |  #609

Tc202 wrote in post #18591708 (external link)

That is awesome!

I don't have any problem with hunting or with anyone guiding hunters. . In fact, I was a hunter for most of my life and most of my good friends are very serious hunters. . I'd still hunt myself, except that this wildlife photography thing has taken over my life and there just isn't any time left for hunting anymore.

Tc202 wrote in post #18591943 (external link)
I currently guide for Great Grey Owls, Snowy Owls, Moose, Red Fox, black skimmer chicks, Florida animals/ birds, I will be guiding to the Falklands in 2021.

For my current clients only: black Bears (highest concentration in the lower 48 and we see 50 per session), lynx in Canada, and some other places/ animals.

I'd love to hear about stuff you'd like to guide for, but haven't done yet ...... a 'guiding bucket list', of sorts.

There are photo trips for specific species that I have long wanted to go on, but it's hard to research them because to the best of my knowledge, no one guides photographers for these species.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2018 07:49 as a reply to  @ post 18585968 |  #610

Beautiful shot.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2018 07:54 as a reply to  @ post 18588906 |  #611

Wow. I am seeing a trend here. Did you ever think of doing Macro photography, instead of Dangerous photography? Great shot.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2018 07:55 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #612

Beautiful.

NickS

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 23, 2018 09:02 |  #613

I currently guide for Great Grey Owls, Snowy Owls, Moose, Red Fox, black skimmer chicks, Florida animals/ birds, I will be guiding to the Falklands in 2021

You live not that far from me!

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,979 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2018 09:47 |  #614

For my current clients only: black Bears (highest concentration in the lower 48 and we see 50 per session) . . .

Is that at the place that Bill Lee and his wife are involved with? . The one up in Minnesota or Michigan (somewhere up there)?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
8,762 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 24, 2018 19:55 |  #615

Got me a Big Horn Sheep 2 day,,,need to spend more time getting varied shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Never make a decision when you have to pee. L Cohen

sponsored links

246,601 views & 2,159 likes for this thread
What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.