Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Organizing my light stands and gear

mike1812
338 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by mike1812.

Feb 20, 2015 10:54 as a reply to  @ post 17435649 |  #16

Nope, I've reloaded the page numerous times, no photos show up. I'm on Chrome. Let me check on IE.

Ok, I finally got it to load on, of all things, my iPhone. I'm at work, so I'm guessing my office has done something in the last couple of weeks that crippled photo loads on this site (some work, others don't).

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 20, 2015 15:47 |  #17

mike1812 wrote in post #17440793 (external link)
Nope, I've reloaded the page numerous times, no photos show up. I'm on Chrome. Let me check on IE.

Ok, I finally got it to load on, of all things, my iPhone. I'm at work, so I'm guessing my office has done something in the last couple of weeks that crippled photo loads on this site (some work, others don't).

At my work, only photos hosted on the site will load, anything thats hosted on say Smugmug or the likes and linked here will not show up. The old version of the forum had a paperclip next to posts that had photos hosted on the forum, it made it easy for surfing while at work.

LVDJC
64 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 24, 2015 20:22 |  #18

Great use of PVC! May have to borrow the idea. Thanks for posting it.

scd5531
Hatchling
5 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 04, 2015 13:26 |  #19

very creative, nicely done

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 05, 2015 09:41 |  #20

I've seen a number of stand cards done with simple 2x4 framing studs, and usually more for the heavy c-stands, but that is a far nicer looking build. Personally I would be tempted to add more weight to the frame itself down at the bottom. Maybe swap a few of the PVC pipes for painted cast iron if you had access to any of a suitable size or something.

I've used a similar rig in a warehouse for carting around some repair gear and tools, and we ended up adding some 1/4" plate in place of the bottom shelf after it got knocked over a few times when we had unloaded all the heavy gear and someone backed into the now top heavy cart.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

tandemhearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 08, 2015 08:05 |  #21

Luckless wrote in post #17657342 (external link)
I've seen a number of stand cards done with simple 2x4 framing studs, and usually more for the heavy c-stands, but that is a far nicer looking build. Personally I would be tempted to add more weight to the frame itself down at the bottom. Maybe swap a few of the PVC pipes for painted cast iron if you had access to any of a suitable size or something.

I've used a similar rig in a warehouse for carting around some repair gear and tools, and we ended up adding some 1/4" plate in place of the bottom shelf after it got knocked over a few times when we had unloaded all the heavy gear and someone backed into the now top heavy cart.

Thanks. The sandbags at the bottom do a nice job of keeping it stable.

koolcreation
656 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 25, 2015 08:00 |  #22

Neat setup!

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

gmm213
I know some really nice clowns
783 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 26, 2015 15:38 |  #23

Love the idea. May have to build one myself.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Mayhem # 3789333 (external link)

frlaf108
31 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Sep 04, 2015 10:35 |  #24

woww that is quite well thought and organized !

wish I could get something like that in the future

Digigumbo
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 16, 2015 13:30 as a reply to  @ post 17397513 |  #25

Question... Are the back tubes longer than the front tubes? I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out the lengths. Comparing them to the side tubes that I assume are 2' long. What are the measurements of the tubes?

tandemhearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
583 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 18, 2015 05:48 |  #26

Digigumbo wrote in post #17710026 (external link)
Question... Are the back tubes longer than the front tubes? I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out the lengths. Comparing them to the side tubes that I assume are 2' long. What are the measurements of the tubes?

Backs set is 22.5 inches deep. Front set is 15.5 inches deep. The front ones do not contact the wire base at the bottom. They are bonded to the back ones with a bit of PVC cement.

Norry ­ Rodgers
180 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 17, 2015 04:41 |  #27

I wanted to do something similar in my room, however floor space is at a premium so i couldn't go with a floor stand as per the OP.

So using a bunch of these cheap tool hooks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

allows me to have some of my stands neatly out of the way on the wall, very secure too 8)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Norry
'failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down'
flickr (external link)

tandemhearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
583 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 17, 2015 06:31 as a reply to  @ Norry Rodgers's post |  #28

I like that. I'd get a frowny face from the wife if I did it in the living room, but when a dedicated room...

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,724 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 21, 2016 21:13 |  #29

Fantastic idea. I thought of the large PVC tube idea for my umbrellas but had no clue on how to stand/mount them. This now gives me an alternate viewpoint to try.

Excellent!

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Facebook (external link)

Norry ­ Rodgers
180 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 22, 2016 15:32 as a reply to  @ -Duck-'s post |  #30

It's a cheap alternative to anything really, works for me 8)

Norry
'failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down'
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

37,553 views & 19 likes for this thread
Organizing my light stands and gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.