Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Organizing my light stands and gear

Nick5
Goldmember
3,242 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 18, 2016 08:10 |  #31

tandemhearts wrote in post #17397513 (external link)
Estimate - more than you would think. :)

The base wire rack was $50 on sale at HD.
Casters - $18.
2 x 2' of 6"PVC sections - $20
12 x 4" end caps - $30
12 x 4" couplers (acting as collars) - $20
2 cans of flat black (wire rack was already black) - $12
30' of 4" PVC = $40
2 x 6" drain grates - $10

Total - around $200. OMG - Don't tell the wife!

200 Bucks for no clutter on the floor...........my wife would be jumping for joy!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links
Nick5
Goldmember
3,242 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 18, 2016 08:11 |  #32

Down_Shift wrote in post #17436944 (external link)
really really digging this.
I bought a giant calumet trap case to keep all my stands etc and a light stand bag for the few i use when i'm mobile.
this is awesome, i'd love to have everything laid out so i can just grab what i need.. kinda like a gun rack haha. no space, so the trap case stays under the bed unless i need something!

Trap Case.......the old drumming days.....

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Joker-USMC
52 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 22, 2016 13:06 |  #33

brilliant!! thanks for the idea!

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,778 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 31, 2017 19:54 |  #34

tandemhearts wrote in post #17388361 (external link)
Since I don't have a dedicated space for shooting I needed a way to store my light stands, softboxes, backdrop stand, etc. I decided that being able to roll the whole kit from one end of the house to the other would be the best solution. I took a standard wire rack shelf (love these things) and added good casters. Then I used 4 and 6 inch PVC to create a set of storage spaces. The Ravelli ABSL kit fits on the end with the Westcott 7" Umbrella. Everything else is setup so that nothing breaks the plane of the shelf unit. That should minimize the number of times I ding the walls rolling it around. With sand bags on the bottom, it is plenty stable. It is not hard to move around with my wood floors. The plastic boxes hold swivels, diffusers, egg crate grids, etc. The top shelf has my bags.

I already had the PVC pipes and a hazy idea of doing something like this. Using that rack was a great idea, so I went out and bought it. My wife will be so glad to get that PVC out of the garage she won't even ask me about the other expenses.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

RDKirk
13,778 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 05, 2017 18:57 |  #35

tandemhearts wrote in post #17388361 (external link)
Since I don't have a dedicated space for shooting I needed a way to store my light stands, softboxes, backdrop stand, etc. I decided that being able to roll the whole kit from one end of the house to the other would be the best solution. I took a standard wire rack shelf (love these things) and added good casters. Then I used 4 and 6 inch PVC to create a set of storage spaces. The Ravelli ABSL kit fits on the end with the Westcott 7" Umbrella. Everything else is setup so that nothing breaks the plane of the shelf unit. That should minimize the number of times I ding the walls rolling it around. With sand bags on the bottom, it is plenty stable. It is not hard to move around with my wood floors. The plastic boxes hold swivels, diffusers, egg crate grids, etc. The top shelf has my bags.

How did you attach those 6-inch grates to the shelf?

tandemhearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 06, 2017 05:53 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #36

The grates flair out at the top (or bottom since they are upside down). I trimmed some of that away on the outboard areas, but inboard the flange just rests on the shelf. The attachment point is where the tubes are zip tied to the upper shelves.

RDKirk
13,778 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 06, 2017 06:37 |  #37

tandemhearts wrote in post #18265892 (external link)
The grates flair out at the top (or bottom since they are upside down). I trimmed some of that away on the outboard areas, but inboard the flange just rests on the shelf. The attachment point is where the tubes are zip tied to the upper shelves.

Gotcha. Thanks.

CameraHaven
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2020

Apr 21, 2020 01:33 |  #38

Great set up! I’m planning to do something like this. I have two questions: what are the dimensions of the wire rack? And given it’s been a few years since your original post, would you do anything differently to optimize this amazing DIY rack? Thank you.

sponsored links

37,400 views & 19 likes for this thread
Organizing my light stands and gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.