Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jan 2015 (Wednesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some advice on a proposal I recieved

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2015 21:34 |  #1

I was contacted by a "promoter" representing a model I have worked with previously. I was hired by her friend some months ago to take photos of her to get her into modeling. Now I was contacted by her promoter (a different man) to be the photographer for a calendar they're printing for her. They plan to print 1,500-2,000 calendars, and each photo for each month will be a different theme, so they plan this to be a two-day photo shoot. They will be "promoting" me on the calendar and at an event they are hosting for the release of the calendar where they expect about 300 people to attend.

How should I go about calculating my price for this? It will be a two day photo shoot and I will be editing and giving to them 14-15 photos with a print release. 1,500-2,000 calendars with the photos I take will be printed. I will not be renting a studio, it will be outdoors and I already have all the equipment, and my assistant is free (he's my BF and always helps me with model photo shoots lol).

Any advice is appreciated! I really want to do this, I feel it will also be beneficial to me aside from the payment, the experience I will gain & possible exposure.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2015 21:40 |  #2

"Sure, I'm interested. Did you have a budget in mind?"

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2015 21:47 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #3

I can't believe I did not think of that at the time :\. I was just kind of caught off-guard. I had a meeting with them in person but I had no idea what they wanted from me, they just told me it was a "proposal". So I had to ask for some time to calculate my price because I was not ready.

Cheers,
Nora

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by nathancarter.

Jan 28, 2015 21:59 |  #4

To be honest, it's a bit optimistic that you'll get a perfect response from that, but at least it gets the discussion rolling.

Don't be surprised if they counter with "We're working on figuring our budget, but you can go ahead and give us an estimate."

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2015 22:27 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #5

I already told him that I would get back to him tonight with an estimate :\ So I don't feel right responding with a question when I already dug myself in this hole of getting back to him with an answer. I'm considering $500, with limited non-exclusive rights, do you think that's fair?

Cheers,
Nora

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,373 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 28, 2015 22:40 |  #6

Double that.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 29, 2015 00:47 |  #7

$500 for a 16 hour photo shoot is far too little. $800 and shrink the shoot to 8 hours is much more reasonable.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 29, 2015 01:30 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #8

"My regular rate is $125.00 an hour with a two hour minimum. 16 hours would normally be $2,000.00, but I'll knock that down to $1,500.00 for you."

Hey, the worst they can do is say "no"...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 29, 2015 08:51 |  #9

sspellman wrote in post #17405189 (external link)
$500 for a 16 hour photo shoot is far too little. $800 and shrink the shoot to 8 hours is much more reasonable.

This ^^^ Plus she is going to be doing the editing as well which takes even more time.

diveguy
100 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 29, 2015 15:35 |  #10

Take your regular day rate ($500-$1,800/day is a reasonable range, depending on experience), add in an assistant fee ($250-$400/day), then figure in any equipment and facility rental fees and you'll have a good number to start with. For usage, you would normally either license each image for a period of time, or sell the rights to use them on a buyout basis.

Keep in mind you will also need to edit these images before licensing them or otherwise making them available to the client. If it's a calendar (with a big release party!) you'll want to spend considerable time to make them perfect, adding to your overhead.

If it's a commercial shoot, I always pay my assistant for their time and efforts. Others might use volunteers, which is fine, but I think it's only right to compensate others for their time and expertise. As a businessperson, there will come a time when you need to use paid assistants and will need to budget this in to future shoots.

This does sound like a great opportunity to "get your name out" and gain additional experience, but remember to position yourself as a professional at all times, charge a fair professional market rate and let that exposure lead to more work at a fair rate. I would suggest starting with all the real costs and what other professionals may charge, then decide how much you want to reduce it from there.

---------------
Chris Constantine
Chris Constantine Photography
San Rafael, California 94903
https://www.chrisconst​antinephoto.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/chrisconstantineph​oto (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,373 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 29, 2015 16:58 |  #11

Remember, you can be certain the company printing the calendar is charging a professional rate. The promoter likely as well. No reason you shouldn't be compensated a fair market price.You want them to use you because they are familiar with your work and desire your talent, not because they think you'll be willing to work for next to nothing.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 02, 2015 03:47 |  #12

Thank you everyone, all gave really great advice!! I responded that same night with $800 (they accepted) D: Now I realize I should have probably asked maybe $1,000, but i'll just have to make mistakes in order to learn from them I guess ha. I don't feel that bad about it though, maybe this will open up more opportunities for me so it will make it worthwhile.

Diveguy I really agree with you about the assistant thing, before going into the business side of photography I took used many volunteer assistants but now I am definitely more considerate. My bf always helps me out with the equipment in model photoshoots but they only last about 2hrs. For this one I'm paying him for both days, especially since he's going to miss work.

I'll see where this new experience takes me!

Cheers,
Nora

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 06, 2015 13:42 |  #13

Glad to hear you're getting paid. Your service has value.

I would come up with a day rate (8 hours) a half day rate (4 hours) and be very strict with the time. Remember to factor in editing time. Committ this to memory and next time someone inquires, answer on the spot.

When you start getting busy, increase your rate.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 x2, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and XPlor 600, AB800 x3, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 06, 2015 15:29 |  #14

We all learn lessons when it comes to pricing a project. It will take you at least three or four days to actually produce the project including preproduction, two days shooting and at least a day to edit the selects. In hindsight, I would have quoted at least twice your figure and limited their usage to that press run of 2K and no retail sales. Their Client can easily recover the investment in two bookings. Whatever you do get it in writing asap so there is no misunderstanding how they can use the images.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2015 23:23 |  #15

Ray Marrero wrote in post #17418754 (external link)
Glad to hear you're getting paid. Your service has value.

I would come up with a day rate (8 hours) a half day rate (4 hours) and be very strict with the time. Remember to factor in editing time. Committ this to memory and next time someone inquires, answer on the spot.

When you start getting busy, increase your rate.

tcphoto1 wrote in post #17418940 (external link)
We all learn lessons when it comes to pricing a project. It will take you at least three or four days to actually produce the project including preproduction, two days shooting and at least a day to edit the selects. In hindsight, I would have quoted at least twice your figure and limited their usage to that press run of 2K and no retail sales. Their Client can easily recover the investment in two bookings. Whatever you do get it in writing asap so there is no misunderstanding how they can use the images.

Thank you both, I appreciate your advice and I'm definitely going to use it. I'm going to use this project as an "experiment" and test out how long it takes me to create the final results, so I can better calculate my rates and have them ready if another occasion like this arises.

I drafted up an agreement for the licensing rights and made it limited use so they can only use them for the 2k copies and can't make money off of them anymore (but can still use on social media or any non-profit stuff with credit given).

Cheers,
Nora

sponsored links

7,707 views & 3 likes for this thread
Need some advice on a proposal I recieved
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.