Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Tennessee folks out there.

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 09, 2008 22:51 |  #91

I'm from Knoxville as well. Lots of places I recognize in this thread. I live only 20 minutes from Big Ridge State Park. I was at Bald River Falls less than a month ago. My sister lives in Maryille so I'm there often. My oldest daughter was at ETSU for a couple of years before coming back to UT, so I've been in the Tri-cities area a lot. Nashville was my company's home office for 20 years and my 3 of my nephews are trying to break into country music so I've seen my fair share of that city (saw the Rockettes in the Grand Ole Opry House just before Christmas). My current home office is in Chattanooga and I spent many, many weekends on every softball field in that city over the years when I was coaching my girls. I spend lots of time on the Dragon, Cherohala, Foothills Parkway, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc...but in a cage...not on 2 wheels. I sold my bike many years ago, but I've been thinking about a Ninja 500 lately (the itch never leaves you).

If you can't tell, I was born and raised in ET, I'm a Vol (great BB comeback victory over Ole Miss tonight on the tube)...and Tennessee is the greatest state in the US...IMO.

I'm just sitting here this evening, listening to a Jimmy Buffett LP on my stereo rig and getting caught up on this fine fourm. I only found it a few weeks ago when I was researching a new lens. It seems like a nice place and I think I'll hang around awhile.

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

sponsored links
spectre
825 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2008 22:56 |  #92

shack wrote in post #4670114 (external link)
I'm from Knoxville as well. [...]
Tennessee is the greatest state in the US...IMO.

I'm just sitting here this evening, listening to a Jimmy Buffett LP on my stereo rig and getting caught up on this fine fourm. I only found it a few weeks ago when I was researching a new lens. It seems like a nice place and I think I'll hang around awhile.

Welcome Shack!

what lens are you looking into?

Todd M. Allen TacAir Photography (external link)
"you've never lived, until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know"
My Gear

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 09, 2008 22:58 |  #93

spectre wrote in post #4670136 (external link)
Welcome Shack!

what lens are you looking into?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm thinking about an 85mm f/1.8 USM.

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

spectre
825 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2008 23:04 |  #94

shack wrote in post #4670146 (external link)
Thanks for the welcome. I'm thinking about an 85mm f/1.8 USM.

For the money you just can't beat that lens...

"you've never lived, until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know"
My Gear

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 09, 2008 23:40 as a reply to  @ spectre's post |  #95

spectre wrote:
For the money you just can't beat that lens...

So I've determined.

From your posts it seems you were a flight engineer on a C-130...correct? Being from Maryville I would have guessed you were on a KC-135e as part of the 134th. I've got a friend who just finished 30 years as a boom operator on one of those out of NJ. Quite a character. Once someone who found out his occupation asked if he flew the tanker. His reply:

"I do not fly the tanker. I am not a pilot because my parents were already married when I was born, and that precludes me from being an officer and pilot. The pilots drive me to and from work."

Here is a picture he sent me a few years ago

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

spectre
825 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2008 23:53 |  #96

shack wrote in post #4670343 (external link)
So I've determined.

From your posts it seems you were a flight engineer on a C-130...correct? Being from Maryville I would have guessed you were on a KC-135e as part of the 134th. I've got a friend who just finished 30 years as a boom operator on one of those out of NJ. Quite a character. Once someone who found out his occupation asked if he flew the tanker. His reply:

"I do not fly the tanker. I am not a pilot because my parents were already married when I was born, and that precludes me from being an officer and pilot. The pilots drive me to and from work."

Here is a picture he sent me a few years ago

Yeah, I was an FE on herks (Hot damn I loved it) I got out just under two years ago for a medical problem. We moved to Maryville (from Abilene, Tx) so that my Sons could grow up close to at least one set of Grandparents and we just could not afford to go back to San Diego... We love it here though. I am now a full time student again with just nine months left (Tusculum) and I might try to get back in the military again after that...but it does not look good. :) I had one hell of a time when I was in however!!

30years..wow, I would trade a lot to have seen some of the flying history that he has seen...

My Gear

UPSGuy
191 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2008 16:40 |  #97

Not to break the convo you guys have going, but just wanted to jump out there & say hey to all the TN folk. I'm a Memphian myself, & glad to see quite a few actives around me.

My inherited gear gives me some things your budget can't buy, like father/son love & family heirlooms! :D
Canon 300D, Kit Lens, Nifty Fifty, FD->EF w/AF. Canon '84 Olympic ed. T50, Gemini 80-200/4.5, Gemini 28/2.8, 2X, Soligor 400 6.3 + more.

ChrisG92
24 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 16, 2008 16:47 |  #98

hey guys wanted to say hi, living in massachusetts right now, but relocating to nashville at the end of feb :)

Canon 10s|Rebel XT|50f1.8|18-55|70-200f4L

PiRho
Long live the TF!
4,538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 16, 2008 17:15 |  #99

ChrisG92 wrote in post #4717385 (external link)
hey guys wanted to say hi, living in massachusetts right now, but relocating to nashville at the end of feb :)

Welcome to the forums Chris, TN is the best. although my cousins in mass would beg to differ :)

~Z

~Z
| KH-20 | ...| XKCD (external link) | OOTS (external link) | CAD (external link) | WTD (external link) |
"Photography is no more about cameras, then mathematics is about calculators" ~ Z

shimmishim
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 31, 2008 09:55 |  #100

Just found this thread. Checkin' in from Knoxvegas...

Call me John | JSP Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) |facebook (external link) | twitter (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III + a few L lenses
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=654812

horaceh
28 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 06, 2008 20:48 |  #101

West Knox native, UT b-school '72, live in NE Atlanta area now but very frequent visitor to East Tn. A Vol amongst all these puppy dawgs!! Oh what fun to listen to them cry on the first Sat in Oct. I'd love to join landscape, waterfalls, wildflower, wildlife weekend shoots. Hope some of you got to Wilderness Wildlife Week a couple of weeks ago in Pigeon Forge. Can't believe I've never been but it was a great few days. Several pro photogs in a very casual atmosphere with lots of opportunities for conversation. Highly recommend that you put it on your calendar for next Jan.

1dMarkIII,5D,20D,24-105L (lives on my 5D),70-200L 2.8 IS , 85L 1.2, 100 2.8 Macro, 16-35 f2.8mII, 20-35, 170-500 Sigma, Lens Baby, flashes, tubes, studio lights, soft boxes, reflectors, diffusers, filters and such stuff

ddphotography
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 14, 2008 07:39 |  #102

Memphis checking in here!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i241.photobucke​t.com …otography/Halfa​nut_01.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i241.photobucke​t.com …graphy/Aquarium​_1_4x6.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

ddphotography
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2008 09:00 |  #103

Hey Tennessee folks, does anyone want to exchange web links? I'll post your link on my site if you'll post mine on yours. Email me: ddphotg@yahoo.com (external link)

GotDesign01
170 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2008 20:42 |  #104

A little help? I'm going to be in Nashville tomorrow night through Thursday evening. What do I absolutely HAVE to photograph while in town? My wife is attending a work-related conference and I will have nothing else to do for 2 days.

Thanks.

Aaron Hiler
My Blog (external link)
My Gallery (external link)
My Gear: EOS 40D, EOS 10D, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, Speedlite 430EX

ddphotography
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2008 07:54 |  #105

dang, I so haven't be online in several days and I am a few days shy! Sorry! DID YOU GET A SHOT OF THE STADIUM? It's downtown. And the riverwalkway is beautiful. I am sure there are some amazing pics you could capture of the outside of the strip of tiny little shops downtown.

Also, Vanderbuilt is a great campus/hospital. The area isn't so great, but the hospital has so nice architecture and landscaping.

There are some cool buildings and apartments and bars. Bums and panhandlers.

The ever emfamous "BatMan Building", which is the AT&T building. It is really cool.

Sorry I am late! You should share some of your pics with me....I wanna see what you shot! :O)

Memphian here.

sponsored links

50,409 views & 5 likes for this thread
Any Tennessee folks out there.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.