Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 02 Feb 2015 (Monday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next

Shooting that hurts your image

fk6065
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2015 21:09 |  #1

I have a client I have worked with a few times in the past. She took a little hiatus and now is back modeling & trying to run her own modeling agency. She fancies herself & her corporation as some bootyliscious, hip hop looking, Beyoncé wanna be.

She recruits woman who want to model but have no experience.

She pays me for each model I shoot and the money is good not great.

She refuses to hire a MUA and it really shows.

Here is my dilemma; She has let herself go, weight gain, blemishes, and unclean hair. The models she recruits are very overweight, and not to sound shallow very unattractive with no experience in front of the camera.

I don't mind shooting any of them and helping them out as I don't want to hurt there feelings.

But now she is crediting me for the photos on her website and social media. I can't help but think this is going to hurt my reputation and business.

I don't want to give up a steady paying customer but I am worried about the damage it will do to my business.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,972 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 02, 2015 21:29 |  #2

I'd stop shooting for her unless she can hire some help. Bad situation.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 16-80 - 35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 03, 2015 18:11 |  #3

Maybe up your price and include a MUA and that's the only option you offer for portfolio sessions.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 04, 2015 21:33 |  #4

I agree, this sounds like a bad situation. Like a bad relationship, it can only get worse the longer you allow it to continue. Are you able to show or link us to some of the examples you are referencing?

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2015 22:14 |  #5

Thanks. I agree. I know you are right about walking away.

I'll set yup a gallery & post a link

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,410 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Feb 04, 2015 22:34 |  #6

Take it easy ... for the moment ...
we know all that this kind of job is more about relations than our "talent", she might know peoples than you might need one day ... or not, so unless you know more about her relations she is building/address book, take it easy, unless it's a real "disaster" ;)

And i agree we cannot really give you an opinion if you don't show us some examples.

Patrice
150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 05, 2015 13:01 |  #7

I agree with Reservoir Dog. Maintain the relationship because it can pay back in other ways.

You might want to consider this as a challenge. It's fairly easy to make a beautiful photo of a beautiful subject. But if your subject is somewhat shy of being photogenic, but you still manage to pull it off... then that's quite an accomplishment. This clients' circle of friends and colleagues might see what you see, become very impressed with the final product, and then seek you out to photograph them or refer you to others.

I also agree with Littlejon.

As a professional, you should be able to have full creative control and, as a part of that, require that you work with a MUA (either one you select and include in the price or one that the client provides). You could explain to this client that you've revised your business policies. You don't have to point the finger at her, specifically. If she asks why, then you can say that it's an issue that you've been running into with clients and it saves you tremendous time and effort on retouching.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 05, 2015 16:01 |  #8

I think that every photograph I give to a customer is one that I feel proud or at least happy about. So if you don't feel your photographs are up to your own standards you should change something about that. Therefore I am with Littlejon here.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2015 21:50 |  #9

Everyone thanks for the input. Unfortunately I can't post any images of her or her models. A photographer she has worked with in the past frequents these boards.

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 09, 2015 03:11 |  #10

fk6065 wrote in post #17427963 (external link)
Everyone thanks for the input. Unfortunately I can't post any images of her or her models. A photographer she has worked with in the past frequents these boards.

At the end of the day, if you are not happy with the results, just ask her to stop crediting you for now. I've done that with a couple of clients who only generate below par images and don't want to be identified with them or by them.

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 20, 2015 02:07 |  #11

she might be catering to plus size modelling?

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 21, 2015 08:30 |  #12

When I started out a million years ago, I got a call from a "talent agent'' asking if I'd do portfolio images for a new modeling agency he was starting. I said sure and proceeded to schedule and shoot 5 or 6 'models' a week. I think I charged $200/each. Shot 5 rolls of film and handed over film and contact sheets to my contact. Over the course of a year, while the money was helpful, I started to get a little suspicious based on the quality of the "models'' that were walking through the door. I finally decided to give it up as it was just wasn't feeling right to me. In fact, I still have the very last image of the very last 'model' in my desk and every once in a while I take it out and give myself a 'what was I thinking' face-palm.

A month or so after I quit doing this, I got a call from the local TV consumer reporter asking for a statement. Evidently this guy had been running ads in all the college papers saying essentially 'You can be a model!", never turning anyone away and fleecing them out of their money. I said "no comment" and hung up the phone. I always felt that I had done a good job for the money that I was paid, but never really felt good about the big picture. No shortage of modeling scams in the world as has been forever.

ymmv.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 266 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 21, 2015 14:24 |  #13

Just ask her to stop crediting you...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 23, 2015 14:36 |  #14

Nathan wrote in post #17416813 (external link)
You might want to consider this as a challenge. It's fairly easy to make a beautiful photo of a beautiful subject. But if your subject is somewhat shy of being photogenic, but you still manage to pull it off... then that's quite an accomplishment.

i agree with this.

there's a thread somewhere here about pics of our wives. now, i'd have to say, photogs apparently have some of the hottest wives i've ever seen, but discounting those... there are plenty of pictures of what i would say in a nice way "natural looking." (i don't mean this as an insult to anyone... but just for purposes of this post, i'm just being blunt.) yet, despite being your average woman with a few pounds and not so photogenic face, some of those pics look AMAZING. i was shocked how beautiful the woman looks in the picture, and again, not to be mean, but i know that the picture is highly flattering.

that... that is skill. and as a photographer, those who took those pictures can be very proud to put those pics of average looking women in their portfolio.

it's easy to make a pretty girl look good in pics. it's true skill to make average people look hot.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 28, 2015 20:43 |  #15

Just ask to not be credited. I'm assuming you already have a certain quality of model that you typically use in your portfolio, complete with team of creatives (ie. HMU/wardrobe). As such, I assume this woman has seen that quality of work, and it should be totally understandable that if she's going to cut corners and not put out the best product she can, then it'll hurt you to have people think that's what you're capable of.

Don't be rude, don't antagonize her and tell her how to better do her job...just be straightforward about it. She should understand, especially if you've already got a multitude of examples showing what is possible if a full team of creatives is included, and the models take more care about their image. I'm sure she's seen that, and then seen what she gets by cutting corners. Explaining how that could have a negative affect on your image should be understandable.

If she doesn't remove the credits, you can ask yourself if the money is worth the trouble.

9,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting that hurts your image
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.