Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 23:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Removing Arca Swiss quick release

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by battletone.

Feb 05, 2015 23:21 |  #1

Has anyone removed one of the new glued Arca Swiss quick locks? What did you do? Torch? Impact gun? Put it in a vise and use a breaker bar?
I want to add a RRS panning flip lock.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2015 08:13 |  #2

battletone wrote in post #17417690 (external link)
Has anyone removed one of the new glued Arca Swiss quick locks?

Probably not if it's a new ballhead. For some time now the Arca-Swiss policy has been if you (the user) attempt to remove the Arca-Swiss clamp from their ballhead your warranty is invalidated.

You need to contact Precision Camera Works (external link) which is the authorized US repair facility for Arca-Swiss products in the US. They will ask you to send the head and the RRS lever release clamp, swap the two clamps, and your warranty will be OK.

Call 847-470-3350 or email Bob Watkins at help@precisioncamerawo​rks.com.

~Peter

RKlukas
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by RKlukas.

Feb 06, 2015 10:01 |  #3

battletone wrote in post #17417690 (external link)
Has anyone removed one of the new glued Arca Swiss quick locks? What did you do? Torch? Impact gun? Put it in a vise and use a breaker bar?
I want to add a RRS panning flip lock.

Peter's, answer was spot on.
Bob does a great job and your warranty remains.
Be well, and enjoy your tripod head.
Rod Klukas

Rod Klukas
US Representative
Arca-Swiss Int.

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by battletone. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 18:20 |  #4

Okay so this is a brand new Z1 with the newer dual step flip lock clamp. That wasn't hard at all to get the screw released. It's a small drop of glue. Doesn't even make it around one thread revolution if you look at the picture. After reading online I was expecting a challenge. So not that.

I put the clamp in a vice with a microfiber cloth to protect it, and used a 3mm hex key with a 13mm box wrench for leverage to crack it loose. Took hardly any effort at all like this.

I am fine without a warranty. Bring on my Really Right Stuff panning with flip lock.
:)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2015 19:41 |  #5

Well it looks like you are lucky, you must have got a NOS (new old stock) Z1. Just make sure when the RRS clamp arrives that the M6 screw protrudes <=14mm from its base, see this reference. The screw on my RRS clamp met this requirement when I installed it a few years ago.

~Peter

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 06, 2015 22:11 |  #6

peter_n wrote in post #17419292 (external link)
Well it looks like you are lucky, you must have got a NOS (new old stock) Z1. Just make sure when the RRS clamp arrives that the M6 screw protrudes <=14mm from its base, see this reference. The screw on my RRS clamp met this requirement when I installed it a few years ago.

...or maybe they are easing up on the super glue due to customer complaints? I find it hard to image a place like B&H had NOS z1 heads at this point with the sheer volume of inventory they move, but who knows. It's been about 2 years since they started making "non-serviceable".
Either way, I called RRS and it sounds like they send multiple screws (3 if I was following correctly) so one is an M6 for use with Arca heads.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 07, 2015 10:04 |  #7

battletone wrote in post #17419522 (external link)
I find it hard to image a place like B&H had NOS z1 heads at this point with the sheer volume of inventory they move, but who knows.

I agree, unless it came to them from another retailer who couldn't move it.

The Z1 is the best ballhead I've used, but I find the attitude of Arca-Swiss about this problem difficult to take. If companies like Markins and RRS can sell ballheads without clamps then Arca-Swiss should swallow their pride and do the same. All it takes is a piece of paper in the box that explains the requirements for a 3rd party clamp.

~Peter

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 07, 2015 22:32 |  #8

peter_n wrote in post #17420106 (external link)
I agree, unless it came to them from another retailer who couldn't move it.

The Z1 is the best ballhead I've used, but I find the attitude of Arca-Swiss about this problem difficult to take. If companies like Markins and RRS can sell ballheads without clamps then Arca-Swiss should swallow their pride and do the same. All it takes is a piece of paper in the box that explains the requirements for a 3rd party clamp.

Ya, but it's clearly more about competition I think than incompetence from end users. No different than what Apple does in many ways. But it took about 2 minutes with the Z1 to figure out I have been missing so much over the years with my pan and tilt head. This was worth every penny.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 08, 2015 09:27 |  #9

battletone wrote in post #17421067 (external link)
Ya, but it's clearly more about competition I think than incompetence from end users. No different than what Apple does in many ways.

They did it because they got fed up repairing ballheads that had their innards damaged from botched installs of 3rd party clamps. Apparently they honored the "warranty" claims for a number of years but finally put their foot down. This came from an Arca-Swiss rep at a photo expo in NYC.

Yes they don't like RRS but they're resigned to the situation in the US. The same rep also told me that RRS was able to use their dovetail design because of a loophole in the Arca-Swiss patent application. They're probably not using the same lawyers these days.

~Peter

sponsored links

2,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
Removing Arca Swiss quick release
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.