Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Feb 2015 (Monday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Comic book look from pp?

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 09, 2015 15:41 |  #1

Like the first image (and others) here.

http://toddsiechen.500​px.com (external link)

Kind of airbrushed but there is something more to it. If you look at the instagram for @siechenphoto there are a lot more extreme examples. What's the process here?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

cleyvosier
848 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 09, 2015 21:25 |  #2

i wanna know also

Gear- Canon 50d, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM,Alien Bee 1600 & csr+ reciever, Sekonik L-358
Feedback

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,720 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2015 05:37 |  #3

If you are up for a bit of experiment then I will point you in the following direction. Duplicate the base layer, if you have a multi layer base Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E will do what you need, run the Find edges filter on it and set the blend mode to Soft Light. Then play with the new layer. Useful tools to look at are Levels and probably Curves too might help, I've not played with curves myself. Also sharpening and blur can help too. Soft Light as a blend mode leaves the image untouched when it's value is 128. If the value deviates then lighter tones brighten and darker tones darken. I guess you will also be using layer masks quite a bit, as well as adjusting the opacity of layers. I guess that you might also want to play with the soft light blend mode with various other ways of processing the image. I would suggest using grey scale on the blended layer. If you use colours they will introduce some interesting colour shifts. I tend to go with the colour versions mostly as for my style a little colour variation is OK. I am doing this in PSCS5, but any image editor that supports layers and blend modes should do the job.

I have a feeling that this is the direction that you will want to look in. Personally I have been using it to make "watercolours". Once I have processed them I print them using my inkjet on simple watercolour paper. I use a maximum quality setting on my Canon Pixma MG5150 to ensure that lots of ink gets laid down. Most of the few others that have actually seen these prints thought that they were really painted. They are though neither photographers or artists.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,429 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by -Douglas-.

Feb 10, 2015 14:14 |  #4

Hmm... I don't know if I would call that type of editing a "Comic book" look but
maybe more of an "Illustrative" type of look with some flare!

Have you tried to contact Todd to see if he would share his secrets?
Looks like it all starts in the studio with a vision of how he wants his
subjects to be lit. Then some creative processing to reach the end result.
Just guessing, I would say he processes with a little bit of experimentation
and maybe some plugins like the Nik Collection. There does seem to be some
'dodging' and 'burning' going on in various places as well. And, on the
hair in a couple of models there seems to be an 'oil paint' filter applied.
I didn't check out his Instagram but browsed through the pics in the link
you provided. It doesn't appear that he uses any type of 'cookie cutter'
approach to his editing but more of an artistic approach for each image.

Take a look at this video of Tim Mantoani talking about how he might
process some of his sports images unless he decides to send them out
to the professionals. He uses the Nik plugins quite a bit but there are some
techniques he also uses that could be beneficial.

Also, search for videos about Amy Dresser and learn how she processes
without using plugins. One such video is here, although a bit lengthy and
not a tutorial, she provides some valuable information throughout
the interview.

Edit: I almost forgot, search for some videos by Glyn Dewis as well!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

travisvwright
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 10, 2015 16:52 |  #5

Thanks guys. Just having the term "illustrative" I'll have a better time searching for it. Watching Youtubes now. I'll go home and get some practice in tonight.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,178 views & 0 likes for this thread
Comic book look from pp?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.