Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 06:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

General Rugby Thread

Emce
109 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Aug 2018

Feb 10, 2019 15:05 as a reply to  @ post 18808531 |  #586

Great shots John. I continually struggle with light and weather conditions. Looks like I might have to consider an f2.8 lens. The 100-400 lens works well for motorsport, because I use slower shutter speeds for mostly panning shots. Not so good this time of year on the rugby field.

sponsored links
johnrobjones
80 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 10, 2019 15:54 |  #587

Emce wrote in post #18808540 (external link)
Great shots John. I continually struggle with light and weather conditions. Looks like I might have to consider an f2.8 lens. The 100-400 lens works well for motorsport, because I use slower shutter speeds for mostly panning shots. Not so good this time of year on the rugby field.

Yes, especially at this time of the year when the light tends to be very challenging, as a rule I also underexpose by between ⅔ - 1 ⅓ of a stop and then batch correct in Lightroom to give me a little more latitude; I also set ISO to auto.

John

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnrobjones/ (external link)

Emce
109 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Feb 10, 2019 17:02 as a reply to  @ johnrobjones's post |  #588

Thanks John, very helpful, I use auto ISO, will try underexposure and batch correction. I presume this is better done using RAW files or does it really make a huge difference if JPEG are used?

johnrobjones
80 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 11, 2019 02:45 as a reply to  @ Emce's post |  #589

Yes, I use Raw images.

John.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnrobjones/ (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,768 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 11, 2019 05:05 |  #590

TheLaird wrote in post #18808165 (external link)
Wow.... photographing rugby can be dangerous then !!!

Keep taking the photos.

I saw what you did there ;-)a :p

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,768 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 11, 2019 05:16 |  #591

Nothing from me this week as I was on international duties at Murrayfield, rebuilding the Scottish economy from the inside of a bar ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 11, 2019 06:39 as a reply to  @ bildeb0rg's post |  #592

Been there many times and have kept many breweries in business too.
Less said about the mistakes made ... back to photos.

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 11, 2019 06:46 |  #593

Emce wrote in post #18808540 (external link)

I use a 7D2 and 100-400 Mark 2. I set shutter speed to /1000 sec, and let the camera do the rest. Mos times I set the ISO, but sometimes I leave it on Auto.

In winter in the north of Scotland, I suspect most images are taken upwards of 1800 ISO.

Sometimes I shoot RAW but mostly JPGs. This has been down to the write speeds of my cards. I was using 95Mbs and that was not nearly fast enough for RAW. Now I am on 200Mbs. However I find that by looking at the histograms, I can work out if I need ot make any adjustments.

The Pro next to me shoots in manual and RAW. Nothing in AUTO. Works very wel l for him. He is a Nikon user !

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,768 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 11, 2019 09:00 |  #594

Nothing wrong with Noink gear, I've seen many, many snaps taken with their equipment.
It's good to see we're both willing to put the hours in Laird, it would be a shame to let all that distilling heritage go to waste.
I used to shoot in AV starting at f5.6 and opening up as the light dropped, pushing the ISO up to its ceiling (3200 on a 1D mkIII) to keep the shutter above 1/1000th. Now with a 1D mkIV I'm in manual, still at f5.6 and 1/1000th and let the auto ISO do its thang. Also shooting RAW.

Emce
109 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Feb 16, 2019 12:35 |  #595

A couple from today, Aylesford Bulls third team, great guys, close game 20-19, happy to let me indulge in a few different shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 17, 2019 03:50 as a reply to  @ Emce's post |  #596

The top one is superb. Iain Milne, a bear of a Scottish prop, said, there are not enough poor rugby players anymore. When asked to clarify, he said ..... blokes (I suppose ladies now too) who just want to go out and play some rugby. THey train a little but just love the game, their team and the rugby. They do not want to be the best ever.

Emce
109 posts
Joined Aug 2018
Post edited 1 month ago by Emce.

Feb 17, 2019 05:16 as a reply to  @ TheLaird's post |  #597

Thanks for the great feedback. Totally agree.. got talking to a few of the guys yesterday, quite a diverse bunch at Aylesford.. some don’t like the politics of the first team and play amongst the lower ranks.. others not so good and just want a good tear up. Others jump ship to other teams just to get a game each weekend.

They are totally up for the shots, even changing room scenes!! Got a few more ideas for some “set shots” which may or may not work. More comfortable with the game and confidence has increased. Doing a few B&W’s which seem to make noisy shots look better.

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 17, 2019 07:19 |  #598

It make such a difference when the sun shines

Even taken with a non-Canon device

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,249 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 17, 2019 07:22 |  #599

HOSTED PHOTO

and the scrum half scrambling through the center of the ruck to score.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,582 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 17, 2019 07:25 |  #600

My daughter just joined the HS rugby team, so I presume I will be contributing to this thread in the future. We already spent a fortune in getting her signed up, getting her gear, etc. The first rounds are in Nashville, so there goes 2 nights in a hotel too. Fun stuff! I will have to go through all the shots in this thread to get a feel for the action so I know what to shoot. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

134,811 views & 870 likes for this thread
General Rugby Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.