Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Feb 2015 (Monday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's no longer a rumor. The G3X is for real (1-inch sensor and 25x zoom)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 02, 2015 18:48 |  #46

I am seriously impressed by this little guy, when the underwater housing will be ready i might think about this G3X and change my config

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
Trumper
973 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 03, 2015 11:00 |  #47

:-) More reviews
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=K8PuZsGJSeo (external link) VIDEO by Canon as an introduction

http://www.dpreview.co​m …3-x-what-you-need-to-know (external link)

http://www.trustedrevi​ews.com/canon-powershot-g3-x-review (external link)

http://www.techradar.c​om …canon-g3-x-1297064/review (external link)

http://www.cameralabs.​com/reviews/Canon_Powe​rShot_G3X/ (external link)

http://www.photography​blog.com …on_powershot_g3​_x_review/ (external link)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 03, 2015 11:25 |  #48

Interesting. Most of the reviews mention a lack of an optical viewfinder as being an issue. I'd have to handle the camera myself to know for sure whether or not it would bother me personally.

rob28
115 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2015 18:53 |  #49

One of my first photos with this camera. The more I'm using it, the more I'm liking it

Handheld at max zoom. Slightly cropped in and minor tweaks in ACR to WB and shadows, plus a mild sharpen.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3783/20083017238_ec1c98a475_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wAEH​kU  (external link) Bee (external link) by Rob2828 (external link), on Flickr

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by teekay.

Aug 03, 2015 19:31 |  #50

Rainyday wrote in post #17654776 (external link)
Interesting. Most of the reviews mention a lack of an optical viewfinder as being an issue. I'd have to handle the camera myself to know for sure whether or not it would bother me personally.

Having to pay extra for an awkward looking add-on EVF on such an expensive camera is certainly a deal killer for me, so although I've stuck with Canon for many years, the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 will probably be my next camera, replacing my 60D and its several lenses.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,807 posts
Gallery: 1875 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 03, 2015 22:13 |  #51

I've got the FZ1000, had an RX10, I would have gotten this camera if it hadn't been crippled by no EVF,..I'm still dumfounded by Canon, they could have taken the prize.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 04, 2015 10:47 |  #52

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17655566 (external link)
I've got the FZ1000, had an RX10....

So how do you like the FZ1000? Is it up to your expectations, and are you finding any unexpected things about it that you don't like?

MedicineMan4040
19,807 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MedicineMan4040.

Aug 04, 2015 13:55 |  #53

Teekay it's all relative to where you are coming from. If you come to a 1 inch sensor from an A7R/D8000/etc. you best know the IQ won't be there.
If you're coming from an SX50HS and that size sensor you'll be impressed.
I dabble in many platforms (FF Sony, FF Canon, several crops) including a lot of experience with mFTs and the previous experience with a 1 inch sensor-the RX10.
All that said, for me a bridge camera is all about the FL range. Period. The bigger the sensor the better.
Bottom line, the FZ1000 is primo, good reasons for its Gold at DPReview. The EVF is primo and that's what is killing me, it is so good thinking about the G3X just makes me cringe wanting that focal length with the same (in all likelihood) sensor.
Another thing we have to throw into the calculator is menus. I shot with my aged Nex-6 last week...man I'd forgotten how archaic it is. Personally I love the Panasonic menu layout so having GH4, GM5, GX7 the FZ1000 is instant transfer of familiarity.
When you're bored look at this pic:
https://www.flickr.com …5638738158/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)
Important because it was with the RX10, me sitting in a kayak, one hand on the camera, one hand sculling the paddle staying in position. The RX10 lived on the deck of the kayak for 4 days-through countless drips, through 2 rains, always west/moist environment---can't do that with the FZ1000, but you can with the RX10 and the G3X. We paddle a lot and that is something I really miss about the Sony. So what environment will you use this bridge for.
I made up for that with the GX4 but even mFTs doesn't have 600mm like the Canon.
Video? Is that important to you? 4K Photo is really fun to play with, this one from the GH4 but the FZ1000 is just as capable for 4K Photo-
https://www.flickr.com …/album-72157643414732075/ (external link)

In the end I can fully recommend the FZ1000. I end up having a camera for certain 'tasks'. When we go 'owling' (hiking at night looking for said creature) the FZ1000 + the Rokinon flash is the one I grab.
If the G3X had come with an EVF I'd sell the FZ1000 in a heartbeat :)
Tough decision I know. Good luck.

flickr (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 04, 2015 17:18 as a reply to  @ MedicineMan4040's post |  #54

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, MedicineMan! My mind was pretty well made up before as I've read all the reviews and it has what I want. You don't mention the 4K video capability and that's something I'm looking forward to experimenting with, mainly for extracting high quality still frames from video footage of birds in flight etc. I won't be using it in kayaks or hostile environments so weatherproofing is no big deal, but I expect to use it as my walkaround camera instead of my present SX50, which is a fine, inexpensive bridge but has major limitations.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2015 17:40 |  #55

teekay wrote in post #17656594 (external link)
Thank you for the comprehensive reply, MedicineMan! My mind was pretty well made up before as I've read all the reviews and it has what I want. You don't mention the 4K video capability and that's something I'm looking forward to experimenting with, mainly for extracting high quality still frames from video footage of birds in flight etc. I won't be using it in kayaks or hostile environments so weatherproofing is no big deal, but I expect to use it as my walkaround camera instead of my present SX50, which is a fine, inexpensive bridge but has major limitations.

Keep in mind that if you want "good" 4K extracts you need to use 4K photo mode, which is essentially a crazy burst mode. You will not be pulling "good" shots out of 4K video, generally speaking.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2015 17:49 |  #56

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17652071 (external link)
^agreed !!!! What a little performer !!! If only it had an EVF it would de-king the RX10/FZ1000 for pic shooters.
Yes I know about the ext. pop on EVF, got one for my G1X mk ii, very nice but so clunky feeling to us spoiled
'internal' EVF addicts.
Another example where Canon could have......

Yep. Canon gets beaten up in many places lately. This camera seems like a chance to fight back a little. If only an EVF and maybe 4K to level the playing field. Tough sell for $1000 as outfitted I'm afraid.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 04, 2015 17:50 |  #57

mpix345 wrote in post #17656621 (external link)
Keep in mind that if you want "good" 4K extracts you need to use 4K photo mode, which is essentially a crazy burst mode. You will not be pulling "good" shots out of 4K video, generally speaking.

I'll certainly have fun trying, anyway! On at least one FZ1000 review site I've seen extracted frame samples that were amazing.

MedicineMan4040
19,807 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 04, 2015 18:54 |  #58

Mpix I politely disagree. You can easily extract/harvest 8mp stills from 4K video or 4K Photo.
It's just that with 4K photo I can deliberately set the shutter to 1/1000 or 1/3000 etc. before beginning
the video....yes this means that a true video made from the 4K Photo will look like crap but the frames
will be fine assuming the shutter you select is appropriate for the lighting. It's not only selecting shutter
but all the other parameters as well.
There is no difference in my experience harvesting from either. Just with 4K Video you are bounded by the
exposure constraints of the video.
Maybe I'm missing something? I don't pretend to know all about extracting stills but I have done it in both
video modes.

Now back to the G3X. A meter to the left of where I'm sitting lies a G1X Mk ii.....there is a huge amount of
angst within me knowing on top of the G1X Mk ii is the external EVF and it is wonderful. I've thought several
times how nice it would be to travel with the G1Xii and the G3X.

flickr (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 04, 2015 19:04 |  #59

I'm very interested in testing one out despite the fact it has no viewfinder ( which I too would prefer )

Considering it is a 24-600 lens in a tiny package makes it worth a look. I can accept some compromise if it keeps it small and light with good image quality, minimal shutter lag. etc.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Aug 04, 2015 19:17 |  #60

If you're looking for a small camera (30x zoom), try Canon SX-700. It's a nice walkaround.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

sponsored links

25,837 views & 9 likes for this thread
It's no longer a rumor. The G3X is for real (1-inch sensor and 25x zoom)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.