Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 20 Feb 2015 (Friday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod For Macro?

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 20, 2015 13:24 |  #1

I just bought some kinko extension tubes for the Canon 100mm F/2.8 IS lens and have had fun messing with it. I realize I'll need a ring flash eventually for freezing insects and what not, but one thing I'm having trouble with is getting close to certain things.

For instance in Yosemite I wanted to capture some moss growing on a rock, but because of the angle of the rock and what not, I was unable to get as close as I needed to.

Are there specific tripods which allow you to get closer to said things. Whether it be flowers, moss, etc? I currently use a Manfrotto MT294C3 Series 294, 3 Section Carbon Tripod, but couldn't figure out how to get closer to the moss while using it.

Should I be looking into a specific tripod for Macro Photography? Do I need to look for better shooting angles?

Being a sports and nature photographer this is a bit new to me so I'm trying to understand what I need to buy, or perhaps what I'm just doing wrong.

Thanks!

sponsored links
sawsedge
783 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by sawsedge.

Mar 03, 2015 22:22 |  #2

Any tripod with no or very-short centerpost, with legs that spread independently out to ground level, will give you the flexibility you need.

Assuming your tripod is tall enough for you without using the centerpost, you can shorten the centerpost. My tripod came with a too-long centerpost, and I cut it down to the length I needed. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1324360

- John

peter_n
Goldmember
2,436 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 05, 2015 06:12 |  #3

I've never done macro photography, but I would think that a tripod with an articulating center column would help with positioning for awkwardly placed subjects. I use one for shooting objects indoors and it's very useful, and there's a current (short) thread running on it. Benro make a range of the tripods but they can be difficult to find. There's a link in my post in that thread to Benro's page for their Versatile range.

Benbo, a UK company make a similar design that may be even more useful for your application but I have never seen or used a Benbo. They are sold in the US (external link),

~Peter

sawsedge
783 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2015 19:54 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #4

Actually, I've never needed any articulation in the column. Independent legs that can go low and a ballhead (along with a 100mm macro) have been enough for me. I used to think that I'd end up with a Benbo, but in practice I've never needed it.

- John

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 08, 2015 01:43 |  #5

sawsedge wrote in post #17459571 (external link)
Any tripod with no or very-short centerpost, with legs that spread independently out to ground level, will give you the flexibility you need.

Assuming your tripod is tall enough for you without using the centerpost, you can shorten the centerpost. My tripod came with a too-long centerpost, and I cut it down to the length I needed. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1324360

John.

Roughly, what length is the centre post now that it has been altered?

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 08, 2015 04:36 |  #6

I have a Manfrotto 190 Pro, on that one the centre column articluates and the legs splay out so I can get the head to about 2 inches from the ground

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 08, 2015 07:17 |  #7

I still have a Giottos tripod with an articulating center column. It's actually quite nice as the angle can be varied.... it offers more than just a horizontal position.

That said, I bought a very fine RRS tripod a couple of years ago now. It doesn't have a center column at all. I thought I would really miss the flexibility of the articulating center column but I haven't used that tripod since I got the RRS. This includes various macro sessions.

I really should sell the Giottos. I changed out the clamp on the otherwise great Manfrotto Hydrostatic Mag ball head to an Arca Swiss compatible screw clamp from Kirk and it made a world of difference with that setup. I got rid of the droop, sag, or whatever your favorite term is for that annoying, Manfrotto RC2 quick release clamp tendency.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sawsedge
783 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 08, 2015 11:12 |  #8

killwilly wrote in post #17465462 (external link)
John.

Roughly, what length is the centre post now that it has been altered?

About 8 inches, giving me 5 inches of travel.

- John

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 09, 2015 02:22 |  #9

sawsedge wrote in post #17465851 (external link)
About 8 inches, giving me 5 inches of travel.

Many thanks.:-)

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

sponsored links

1,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod For Macro?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.