Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 22 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 22:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One of Florida's wild mustangs (Spanish Horse)

stevecan
120 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 22, 2015 22:35 |  #1

My family went to Micanopy, Florida on a search for Spanish Horses, and bison which roam this area, completely wild. We didn't find the bison, but at the end of the last leg of our multiple trail trip, we finally came across a remarkable specimen of a wild horse, just off the trail we were on. We were much closer than we ever thought possible.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8563/15986165644_e3460f9cfd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qmDh​6A  (external link) _MG_5374 alt (external link) by stevcan101 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8608/15986164964_732e97a7e8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qmDg​TS  (external link) _MG_5379 (external link) by stevcan101 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8677/16422514029_beb33f837d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/r2cF​gB  (external link) _MG_5366 (external link) by stevcan101 (external link), on Flickr

The photos of this series I have edited so far:
https://www.flickr.com …2/sets/72157650​562143569/ (external link)

Gear: Canon 60D, 70-200mm F4L USM, 50mm MkII F1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT tripod, Vanguard SBS-100 head.
My Flickr photostream http://www.flickr.com/​photos/109443493@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
blackchrome
625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 23, 2015 00:21 |  #2

Beautiful shots, well done.

Stacy Shane

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 23, 2015 08:36 |  #3

Wow , very nice capture . I did not know Florida had any wild horses . Is this in the open wild or a Wildlife Park ?

harryv
890 posts
Gallery: 206 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 23, 2015 09:02 |  #4

Blow Blow Seminole Wind!! Great shots, I lived in Naples for 12 years, I miss it everyday!
Harry

LIFE IS TOO FAST, RECORD IT!!

stevecan
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 23, 2015 14:28 |  #5

They are free roam, 6 mares and 1 stallion were released in 1985 and the following year a single mare was added to the group to replace a group that died out many years before. Those horses were left behind by the Spanish Expeditions of Ponce deLeon, Cortez, and DeSoto, Maldonado etc.

These were in Micanopy Florida on the prairie of Panyes Prairie Preserve State Park, they get no assistance (officially) who knows what unknowledgeable do-gooders do when unsupervised.

Thanks for the comments! It was an amazing experience!

Gear: Canon 60D, 70-200mm F4L USM, 50mm MkII F1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT tripod, Vanguard SBS-100 head.
My Flickr photostream http://www.flickr.com/​photos/109443493@N02/ (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,854 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 23, 2015 15:27 as a reply to  @ stevecan's post |  #6

We often see them at the La Chua Trail. It's the north section of Paynes Prairie, located in SE Gainesville. They are beautiful.

Thank you for taking the time to share your photographs with us.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

stevecan
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by stevecan. (3 edits in all)

Feb 23, 2015 15:47 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #7

I was at the Bolen Bluff Trail, opposite the Observation Deck that over looks Paynes Prairie from The La Chua Trail. We could see the observation deck from our observation deck on the far side of the prairie.

La Chua will be on my must see list the next time I'm in the area. Still need to find some Bison. We also did the Cone's Dike Trail at Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, that was a long haul, didn't see much except for horse and bison scat galore, but beautiful area otherwise.

Thanks for the compliments!

Steve

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,854 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 23, 2015 16:57 as a reply to  @ stevecan's post |  #8

I know the bison exist on Paynes Prairie. We live in Gainesville and have been to the Prairie dozens of times, mostly to La Chua trail... we've never seen them.

If you love birds, you'll love La Chua trail.... lots of great blue herons, little blue herons, 3 or 4 kinds of egrets and a whole host of other birds. And gators..... dozens of gators, some you could walk up and touch if you don't value your arms or legs. We never tire of the place.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

stevecan
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 29, 2015 23:29 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #9

We went back to La Chua trail at Payne's Prairie a few times since I last visited this post. Saw 4 or 5 bison the first time but they were so far away I didn't get any quality pictures to share. Saw a bunch of Black-Bellied Whistling duck babies, but everything else was standard fair (Circle B, and Joe Overstreet RD have raised the bar pretty high for birds). Second time we went they had flooded the prairie, and La Chua was flooded past the boardwalk. Didn't see anything new there, but went to the Visitor Center's newly rebuilt observation tower and saw 6 bison, 6 or 7 horses, and a whole group of white-tailed deer does running by in the 15-20 minutes we were up there.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
14,052 posts
Gallery: 2119 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Dec 29, 2015 23:36 |  #10

Heya,

Lovely! We do have a few these days.

Celestron wrote in post #17445483 (external link)
Wow , very nice capture . I did not know Florida had any wild horses . Is this in the open wild or a Wildlife Park ?

Wildlife reserve. They do not roam in the open. They are in a specific geographic area that is fenced and marked off for the most part (Payne's Praire). They have no reason to leave though, big territory, plenty of resources.

stevecan wrote in post #17446062 (external link)
they get no assistance (officially) who knows what unknowledgeable do-gooders do when unsupervised.

They and the Bison do get cared for. They don't need to be fed or watered, but they get supplements and vet care when needed. They are looked after. :)

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17446271 (external link)
I know the bison exist on Paynes Prairie. We live in Gainesville and have been to the Prairie dozens of times, mostly to La Chua trail... we've never seen them.

If you love birds, you'll love La Chua trail.... lots of great blue herons, little blue herons, 3 or 4 kinds of egrets and a whole host of other birds. And gators..... dozens of gators, some you could walk up and touch if you don't value your arms or legs. We never tire of the place.

I've had a few Bison on La Chua. More rare though. They tend to go else where in the prairie.

Would be neat if some of the horses & bison make it over to Sweetwater Wetlands!

Maybe I'll bump into a few of you. I live here too and frequent these parks. If you ever see a weirdo smoking an old briar pipe with a 600mm lens, that's me! I bump into a few POTN's and local photogs at La Chua & Sweetwater often.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

stevecan
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 29, 2015 23:49 |  #11

MalVeauX wrote in post #17837108 (external link)
Heya,

Lovely! We do have a few these days.

Wildlife reserve. They do not roam in the open. They are in a specific geographic area that is fenced and marked off for the most part (Payne's Praire). They have no reason to leave though, big territory, plenty of resources.

They and the Bison do get cared for. They don't need to be fed or watered, but they get supplements and vet care when needed. They are looked after. :)

Thanks, I didn't know they receive healthcare! I stand corrected.

I've had a few Bison on La Chua. More rare though. They tend to go else where in the prairie.

Would be neat if some of the horses & bison make it over to Sweetwater Wetlands!

We went to Sweetwater Wetlands a few days before Christmas this year, neat place! Saw a ton of Whistling ducks on a fallen log, and a cormorant that let us walk 2 feet behind him on the boardwalk.

Maybe I'll bump into a few of you. I live here too and frequent these parks. If you ever see a weirdo smoking an old briar pipe with a 600mm lens, that's me! I bump into a few POTN's and local photogs at La Chua & Sweetwater often.

I'll bet you know Roy H. he's a very regular there, and we met up for our first trip to La Chua. Very nice guy, and a helluva shooter with his little SX30 (or SX40 I forget which he has).

Very best,

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
14,052 posts
Gallery: 2119 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 29, 2015 23:56 |  #12

Heya,

Yeap. Roy, Leigh, and Bill. And a few locals too.

Haven't met an unfriendly fotog out there yet. We generally trade what we've seen and where. Some folk are after specific species.

Unfortunately there's always a rat nest ton of people acting like fools and filming themselves with cellphones and stuff there too (La Chua). Gators are fun to see, but it also brings in crowds of people with no respect for the wildlife and they're generally awful to be around. Excuse my negativity on that. I'm a local. :P

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 31, 2015 07:18 |  #13

:-);-)aI need to get back to Florida -?back in the 40s& early 50s those nice Parks and wetlands was just thought of as "gator holes" and NO one went there,,,I know Marty would be my Guide,,;-)a
Ron

MacA488
585 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 04, 2016 12:38 |  #14

stevecan wrote in post #17837103 (external link)
We went back to La Chua trail at Payne's Prairie a few times since I last visited this post...

After reading this post last Wednesday, I came home to a package of late Christmas presents from my in-laws. They live in the Gainesville, FL area. To my surprise one of my gifts was a book titled "Quite The Show". It is a book featuring photographs of Paynes Prairie by Dominick Martino.

To tie all these events together, just a couple of days prior to reading this post I had been telling my wife that we needed to take the time during our next visit to her parents to visit Paynes Prairie for a day (or more) of photography. So seeing this post, then receiving a book shortly after having the discussion with my wife is surely a sign that I need to get down there and take some pictures!

Mark
C&C welcome! I'm here to learn from the best!
Canon 5D MKIII || Sigma 10-20mm || Rokinon 18mm f2.8 || Canon 24-70mm f4L || Canon 70-200mm f4L IS || Canon 100-400L
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,254 views & 2 likes for this thread
One of Florida's wild mustangs (Spanish Horse)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.