Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is anyone shooting something other than Ultra Wide HDR for real estate?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 20, 2015 12:54 as a reply to  @ post 17637831 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Interesting. I usually take my 24mm TS photos from eye level so as to convey the impression/viewpoint of someone standing there. I'll have to try kneeling a few times.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,388 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 28, 2015 15:20 |  #17

It does seem that a lot of people shudder at the thought of HDR as a result of all the hideously over processed real estate and landscape shots. maybe we should come up with a new term (enhanced dynamic range?) for images that have a greater dynamic range but don't look like an over polished turd ;)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,459 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 28, 2015 16:45 |  #18

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17647746 (external link)
It does seem that a lot of people shudder at the thought of HDR as a result of all the hideously over processed real estate and landscape shots. maybe we should come up with a new term (enhanced dynamic range?) for images that have a greater dynamic range but don't look like an over polished turd ;)

Good point.

In reviewing my previous comment I thought worthy of deletion because it was too harsh. I'll try again:

Alveric wrote in post #17484172 (external link)
Hey there, rgs. Sorry, I missed your post till now that the thread was bumped (I hardly subscribe to threads anymore).

Yes, it is. It's the second on this list: http://www.diamantstud​ios.ca/downloads/ (external link)

Those are not good represntations of high-quality hdr processed images regardless of whether someone got paid or not ;)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 30, 2015 13:04 |  #19

Alveric wrote in post #17637844 (external link)
Interesting. I usually take my 24mm TS photos from eye level so as to convey the impression/viewpoint of someone standing there. I'll have to try kneeling a few times.

I take 80% of my shots from a kneeling position. The only time I will raise is if A) kitchen shots - need to see over the countertops B) attempting to shoot over a very tall bed in a tight bedroom C) shooting over top of couches.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 30, 2015 13:08 |  #20

I just recently purchased Scott Hargis's book Lighting Interiors (2nd edition) and it has really inspired me to start using an off camera flash setup. The problem is (and why so many people are using exposure fusion/HDR, including myself) is because it's QUICK, EASY AND JUST GOOD ENOUGH. I get a lot of work (probably finish up over 200+ listings this year just in side work) and I can tell you that if I start shooting off camera flash images I will have to raise my prices drastically and I will lose 75% of my clients. No one is going to pay me $300 to shoot a 2 bedroom town home in a 'meh' neighborhood. For me, I'm willing to try new things but exposure fusion/HDR will always be my main style of shooting because that's what my clients want.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 23, 2015 23:06 |  #21

UWA is only a problem when used poorly.
My experience is that so many agents and designers want to see the whole room. They look at a great composition and ask "Couldn't we see a bit more over there?"
I shoot fairly grand homes so that is not an issue as the rooms are crazy large to start with. But on more modest homes a narrower view is often best but agents want more, more, more. I find my self using my 17TS-E almost exclusively and on some occasions going to a 14. I used to own a Sigma 12-24 and I found myself at the short end a lot.
The Canon 11-24 would really be single lens solution for most of my photography. I say this as a purist who used to swear by my TS lenses. Today the glass is so good and the post processing tools are so good that they make them nearly irrelevant.

As for HDR, the criticism of it is slightly misplaced. HDR is a post processing tool.
However, inexperienced users resort to a one button solution with it to speed through their poor photography and deliver what they think is startling, eye-catching imagery. This is also true in the wedding world where novices smack their work with a variety of single button actions and call it done.

sponsored links

8,652 views & 2 likes for this thread
Is anyone shooting something other than Ultra Wide HDR for real estate?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.