Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website finally done! Please critique/review

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by trale. (2 edits in all)

Feb 25, 2015 17:07 |  #1

After several months, starting from scratch of knowing nothing about making my own site, I finally competed the process. It look lots of research into choosing a hosting service and platform, learning intricacies of WordPress, the process of selling and delivery of prints, and even coding my own specific modifications (CSS, php). But I think I've finally got it to a point where my site is presentable.

www.lensofchen.com (external link)

The main goal was to construct an elegant portfolio site that is easy to navigate, with a secondary goal of selling digital copies or prints if someone was interested. Only some photos have Buy links available.

Looking for some constructive critique before I delve into the marketing aspect of the site.

One particular question I have for anyone who's gone through my galleries is what do you think of the breaking-up of my galleries into 30 photos chunks? Currently, if any gallery has more than 30 photos, it makes separate pages that you can navigate to (using the buttons on the bottom). Would you prefer to simply see all the photos of a gallery on one single page so you don't have to click to multiple pages?

Appreciate any feedback!

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
423 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 25, 2015 17:17 |  #2

Good job. I know probably most of the dancers in your photos :)

I'd add the blog, which will help you stay connected with your audience. Also, I'd add a photo of you. Basically just some "meat" to the site. It looks great, but it resembles a 1-pager. Needs something that will connect you to your audience. A blog will help you in that, as well as the SEO and google ratings. Your photo will tell people who you are. And maybe a gear page or a review page, which will help to drive more traffic.

Otherwise excellent photos! Really like your landscape style!

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

trale
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 25, 2015 17:34 |  #3

bikfoto wrote in post #17449806 (external link)
Good job. I know probably most of the dancers in your photos :)

I'd add the blog, which will help you stay connected with your audience. Also, I'd add a photo of you. Basically just some "meat" to the site. It looks great, but it resembles a 1-pager. Needs something that will connect you to your audience. A blog will help you in that, as well as the SEO and google ratings. Your photo will tell people who you are. And maybe a gear page or a review page, which will help to drive more traffic.

Otherwise excellent photos! Really like your landscape style!

Thank you! I might add a blog later, once I think I have an audience that cares about where I go, what I do, or what I think on a regular basis. There is one photo of me in the "About" page - the one with the bridge and lighthouse, but I do realize I look tiny in it. I just don't have many "good" photos of myself that I think is appropriate to go on my website (ironic I know), but I'll see if I can fix that.

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
423 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 25, 2015 19:48 |  #4

Think of the blog as an additional link to your site that Google will index one way or another. The more relevant links you have, the better traffic you'll get. It doesn't have to be what you do. It could be what wedding you shot, what's your opinion on new gear, reviews, and just overall photography talk that encourages viewers to participate.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

841 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website finally done! Please critique/review
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.