Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 26 Feb 2006 (Sunday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sports Photography... it's all about LIGHT ;)

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 26, 2006 10:36 |  #1

Well.. OK... perhaps there are other important factors too :) but light certainly plays a major role in how the final image turns out.

There are a fair few discussions in this forum about the weather and how to deal with the associated lighting... so here are some examples and a few random thoughts from this weekend. I seem to have experienced everything from blazing sunshine to heavily overcast skies.

1. Now this is easy. Cloudy conditions. Diffused lighting... no shadows. Perhaps my favourite conditions to shoot in - purely because life becomes sooooo easy...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

2. Full-on front-lighting. Not my favourite way of shooting in all honesty. Yep, it can provide nice, colourful images... but even working with a limited DoF, it dosn't always provide the isolation that the subject matter needs. Next time someone tells you to shoot with sun directly behind you, don't always take their advice ;) ...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Side-lighting. Can be harsh. Very tricky to control the shadow details at times...but, at the same time, it can give the subject matter a more three-dimensional feel...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. Shooting straight into the sun. The exposure needs to be spot-on... but this method provides some nice rim-ligthing and a satisfying puff of backlit mud and grass...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

5. Low, warm, early evening sun. Jubbly. One of those rare times that having the sun behind you works quite well. The action can sometimes pop up in a bright patch between shadow areas...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6. ...and this type of light can also breathe some additional life into an otherwise dull crowd scene...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

7. Ahhh... some more back-lighting. Maximising that puff of dust again...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

8. Side-lighting again. Difficult to nail the exposure, sacrificing some background detail may well be part of the compromise...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

9. Into the sun again. My favourite way of shooting. This technique can also turn a cluttered background (in this case a car park) into something mildly surreal...

http://www.tgsphoto.co​.uk/forum_images/light​007.jpg (external link)

Hope that's of interest! Feel free to throw any other ideas/comments or to post any of your own examples of how light works for (or against) you! ;)

---- Gavin

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photography (external link) | TGS Blog (external link) | TGS Twitter (external link) | TGS Sportsshooter (external link) | TGS Tweets (external link) | TGS Facebook (external link) | LinkedIn (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2006 10:40 |  #2

Nice demonstration and samples gmen. You left out lowlight pitch black stadium lighting were you can't use flash though! ;) :p

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

gmen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 26, 2006 10:42 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #3

cdi-ink.com wrote:
Nice demonstration and samples gmen. You left out lowlight pitch black stadium lighting were you can't use flash though! ;) :p

:lol: I was coming on to that... but felt that I needed a couple of large beers first ;)

---- Gavin

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photography (external link) | TGS Blog (external link) | TGS Twitter (external link) | TGS Sportsshooter (external link) | TGS Tweets (external link) | TGS Facebook (external link) | LinkedIn (external link)

saggy9999
395 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 26, 2006 10:43 |  #4

found this quite helpful to look at Gavin
just wish I had your ability to nail the exposures that good
especially on the backlit pics

2 x Canon 1D Mark II, & 40D
Canon 400mm 2.8L Mark II:lol:
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L 50mm 1.8Sigma 15-30mm.

fslshooter
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 26, 2006 11:14 as a reply to  @ saggy9999's post |  #5

Excellent info and examples, Gavin -- thanks for the post! For what it's worth, I've found a solution for poor light at late afternoon/early evening baseball games. If I get three or so innings of good stuff and it becomes too dark to shoot at ISO 1600 after the ballpark lights come on, I pack my gear, get myself a beer and watch the rest of the game ;) .

Jerry ~ Baseball is a game where only defensive players handle the ball and offensive players who hit successfully in only one third of their at bats are among the best in the sport.

Baseball Shooting Tips |++| www.jerryhalephotograp​hy.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2006 11:18 as a reply to  @ fslshooter's post |  #6

fslshooter wrote:
Excellent info and examples, Gavin -- thanks for the post! For what it's worth, I've found a solution for poor light at late afternoon/early evening baseball games. If I get three or so innings of good stuff and it becomes too dark to shoot at ISO 1600 after the ballpark lights come on, I pack my gear, get myself a beer and watch the rest of the game ;) .

:lol: Wish I coulda done that. The school starts games at night and all I had at the time was Bigma. :rolleyes: Got the 70-200 f/2.8 (albeit short) but don't even shoot that stuff anymore. Go figure. :cry:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Trackday.Net
365 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 26, 2006 11:48 |  #7

Figuring out how light affects an image was a major breakthrough for me when I started out. As soon as I realized how much a part of photography light is, my images went through a dramatic change. Great job on this set. Looks like you are mastering how to use light to your images advantage. Personally, I prefer full sun coming from my back or my side. Different photographers will have a favorite lighting position.

Mike

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 26, 2006 11:48 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for the examples, Gavin. I'm was especially interested in the ones where you shot into the sun, as that's usually my perspective during baseball season.

I can't wait until next football season. Not only did I get a faster prime to use from the sidelines, but I also just purchased a 580EX. I'm hoping that will resolve some of the difficulties I've experienced.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2006 13:19 |  #9

Liza, what new lens did you get and what is the 580EX?

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

Togra4
"....tragic, really. "
1,072 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2006 13:37 |  #10

Thanks so much Gavin for the examples and tips, in another two weeks id be on here asking just this type of question, now i am ahead of the game...i should have my 70-200 f/4 in time for the start of my sons baseball season, and just in time for my first NASCAR race of the year....whoo hoo!

Tracy :)
www.tangiblephoto.com (external link)
20D, 17-85 IS, 50 1.8, 430ex and whatever I rent from LensRentals.com!
Oh yeah, and a rocketblower;)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 26, 2006 13:38 as a reply to  @ superdiver's post |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

superdiver wrote:
Liza, what new lens did you get and what is the 580EX?

I got the 200 f/2.8L and a 1.4x teleconverter. The 580EX is a flash.

Elizabeth
Blog

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2006 15:48 as a reply to  @ liza's post |  #12

liza wrote:
I got the 200 f/2.8L and a 1.4x teleconverter. The 580EX is a flash.

Noo the 580EX isn't a flash...it's THE flash! :p

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2006 19:33 |  #13

Is it one you mount on your camera, or is it a stand alone?

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2006 19:38 as a reply to  @ superdiver's post |  #14

superdiver wrote:
Is it one you mount on your camera, or is it a stand alone?

It's a camera mounted flash that can be used as a standalone via wireless E-TTL and a transmitter, another Canon flash capable of being a master, or an off-camera shoe cord.

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 26, 2006 19:39 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

It's a shoe mount flash.

Elizabeth
Blog

sponsored links

34,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sports Photography... it's all about LIGHT ;)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.