Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Mar 2015 (Monday) 05:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smartphone cameras already better than low end DSLR's

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2015 08:48 |  #16

Hotshoe for triggering off-camera lighting.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 02, 2015 09:01 |  #17

es1 wrote in post #17456626 (external link)
Lollipop update gave RAW images to Android phones. Also full manual control is now on most good smartphones. So interchangeable lenses are basicly the only missing thing.

AND they are already making tiny lenses for smart phones! Not saying they are any good or not; but they are certainly heading that direction.

I actually Sold my EOS-M because the only reason I had it was for a compact camera I could have on me all the time. I quickly realized that I would rather use my smartphone. My smart phone, has insurance on it so I don't worry so much about dropping it, takes amazing photos (especially for posting and plenty big enough to print), a dual led flash, and plenty of editing capabilities! And, as someone already mentioned, they are adding manual options and raw capabilities.

I don't think smart phones will replace DSLRs, they are just used differently. But I do think smart phones are already replacing point & shoot cameras.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 02, 2015 09:01 |  #18

es1 wrote in post #17456626 (external link)
Lollipop update gave RAW images to Android phones. Also full manual control is now on most good smartphones. So interchangeable lenses are basicly the only missing thing.

The iPhone does not natively have full manual control, only exposure compensation. The aperture is a fixed size and the shutter speed only gets changed to reflect the change in exposure selected.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Peoria ­ Man
60 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 02, 2015 09:06 as a reply to  @ DGStinner's post |  #19

phonearena.com article wrote:
And we don't even have to mention that they fit in a pocket, unlike a DSLR.

LOL My smartphone has glacial shutter lag, laughably bad performance in low light, and its only zoom is a digital zoom. But at least it fits in my pocket. :-|

Nikon D80, D7000, D750, N90S, FA, FM2, F, F2, 1J3... and lenses.
Rolleiflex 2.8C, Baby Rolleiflex, Ricoh Ricohmatic 44, etc.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,273 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 02, 2015 09:09 |  #20

es1 wrote in post #17456603 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

For a long time now people have been declaring that mirrorless systems will be the end of DSLR so I tried one. Despite is being a very capable model and a supposed 'DSLR killer' it failed to replace my DSLR for a variety of reasons. It was painfully obvious that while it was an excellent system it was nowhere near as versatile as my DSLR. I think it is fair to say that if DSLR has these advantages over mirrorless systems it enjoys them over smart phones as well.

The chart you posted talks about sales. You could create a chart comparing toothbrush sales to both smart phones and DSLRs and declare 'toothbrushes kills DSLRs AND smartphones'. What does it mean? This chart is quantitative, not qualitative. Furthermore, the chart makes no mention of how many people might not use the camera feature of a smart phone or how many smart phone purchasers might also have a DSLR. I'm sure many pro photogs have at least one cell phone. In the context those figures are worthless. You are here stating that smart phones are 'better' than DSLRs. Well, that may be true for some people in some situations but you can't speak in absolutes. There is a myriad of situations where DSLRs excel where a smartphone would fail completely. How can that be 'better'? No one... you, me or anyone on this board can say what is absolutely better than anything else (certainly not based on sales figures anyway) except for themselves. Forget your charts. There is an old saying that goes 'figures don't lie but liars can figure'. If you have found that your smart phone fulfills your every photographic need then happy shooting. I'd rather see some good shots from your phone than hear you try to convince me you choice is a better on than mine. Have you done any photo sharing here with your smart phone shots?

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 02, 2015 09:38 |  #21

Except.... tech reviewers mention buying a dedicated camera when something matters (i.e. birthday, graduation, birth, wedding etc...).

For an "have with you everywhere" camera, sure the phone is a good option, but from personal experience, phones haven't caused people to ditch cameras like marketing wants them to do. Ditching the camera is just that - marketing talk.

Another thing to point out is that Samsung gets revenue from its camera division. They do offer mid-range and pro mirrorless options, even a pro 2.8 zoom. Would it be smart for a company to encourage people to stop buying a product that R&D money is being spent on? They'd be going against their own interests. If they were serious about phones replacing cameras, why did they release an NX1 and roadmap for future lenses?

Also, using Phonearena, that's a source where you won't find any objection to "smartphones are sacred" and people treating the iPhone 6 and Note 4 like religious icons. Any camera on the market today could take the shots they used as examples. Not to mention that the shots for the 650D look suspiciously soft, almost corner shots with the lens wide open. The flickr gallery is more impressive, but there's a reason no one is praising smartphones for their low light capability, rather using the words "disappointing" or "falling apart" far more often than "good", or "adequate". (Others have already tackled the IQ issue)

To be honest, the reason I don't own a Note 4 is the same reason some people want to ditch their DSLRs - it's too cumbersome and I'd dread actually trying to use it as a phone. Heck, I'd need to buy a bag to carry it around in.

If using a smartphone floats your boat, then by all means, go ahead and do so. But no, smartphones are not better than any DSLR, they simply suffice for taking 10,000 shots of your hamburger for instagram. Shots that any camera on the market can take.

Gear

elitejp
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2015 10:03 |  #22

wasnt an article like this written last year as well?

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 02, 2015 10:09 |  #23

When are they gonna ad a phone feature to a dslr?! lol

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 02, 2015 10:15 |  #24

My phone will replace my DSLR for more casual shooting when it has the following:

-Comfortable and stable grip
-Easy control over aperture, shutter speed, iso, and compensation
-No noticeable shutter lag or view finder lag
-Designed for easy field replacement of battery/memory cards. (I'm not a huge fan of sucking down my phone's battery for the sake of a camera or GPS when I can carry a dedicated device for them that lets me easily swap batteries as needed.)

If someone designed a tough phone that took a native 'camera control' addon/grip, then I would probably be all over it. Keep the grip in one pocket/bag, and then just plug the phone into it when needed. Have it include an expanded battery, and then you can easily pocket your phone and carry only it when you have no plans to use it as a camera (and then still take phones the 'old' phone way when needed), or easily carry the grip in another pocket if you're expecting you'll want to pull them out at some point, without having to deal with the overly bulky format of a full camera.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 02, 2015 10:31 |  #25

Peoria Man wrote in post #17456667 (external link)
LOL My smartphone has glacial shutter lag, laughably bad performance in low light, and its only zoom is a digital zoom. But at least it fits in my pocket. :-|

Just wondering how many guys are out shopping for a Battery Grip to improve the holdability of the 'body' of the smartphone and a place to put the pinky! :twisted:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
41,802 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt.

Mar 02, 2015 10:36 |  #26

nqjudo wrote in post #17456671 (external link)
The chart you posted talks about sales. You could create a chart comparing toothbrush sales to both smart phones and DSLRs and declare 'toothbrushes kills DSLRs AND smartphones'. What does it mean? This chart is quantitative, not qualitative. Furthermore, the chart makes no mention of how many people might not use the camera feature of a smart phone or how many smart phone purchasers might also have a DSLR.

Yes, you got it! The chart was presented at a camera association meeting, and the statement by the speaker was that there is NO CORRELATION between smartphone increases and dSLR declines, and similarly there is NO CORRELATION between smartphone increases and P&S declines...in fact both P&S and dSLRs have very similar shape graphs simply offset from each other in time by a few years. Note the 'Correlation?' followed by the 'Correlation' have the strikeout thru it.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 02, 2015 10:37 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #27

As I posted above, I would totally be into a phone/camera system with a good removable battery grip that included basic controls and shutter button. I tried taking a photo of a friend's tire the other day while waiting for CAA after he blew a sidewall. I messed up the first photo I tried to take when I had let the phone tilt a little between the time I had tapped the shutter button and the image had actually snapped. Taking photos on a phone is just annoying because they're not designed to be held for the purpose of taking photos.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,855 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 02, 2015 11:06 |  #28

Wilt wrote in post #17456772 (external link)
Just wondering how many guys are out shopping for a Battery Grip to improve the holdability of the 'body' of the smartphone and a place to put the pinky! :twisted:

like, totally man . . . http://www.amazon.com …Camera-Grip/dp/B006VDPDDO (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,102 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 02, 2015 11:22 |  #29

So here is the first feature-length movie shot with iPhones.

http://smartmoviemakin​g.com …eature-shot-on-an-iphone/ (external link)

It was shot in 30 days on a total budget of less than $40,000.

I don't expect, however, that major movie production companies are going to dump their cameras for iPhones.

The point is that if you pare your expectations and requirments down far enough, you can do amazing things within that narrow range with skimpy tools.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Wilt
41,802 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 02, 2015 12:56 |  #30

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17456816 (external link)
like, totally man . . . http://www.amazon.com …Camera-Grip/dp/B006VDPDDO (external link)

Yahbut...here is a review, "Cumbersome though and you can't use it with a case on your phone."

sponsored links

7,451 views & 9 likes for this thread
Smartphone cameras already better than low end DSLR's
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.